• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cherish a Chesler!
2 2

638 posts in this topic

Don't have but will keep my eyes open.

Sorry, I meant this is one that I presently have but had been hunting for it for a long time...Thank you though... Most copies I came across were in G+ condition... I was beat out on 9.4 Big Apple copy on heritage a couple years back. I couldn't bring myself to pay the 630 price tag for it, but this one will stand in nicely in the meantime.

Edited by Twistty1

I'll pick up the gauntlet thrown down by RareHighGrade.

Scoop2.jpg

Does anyone know what A Scoop 2 goes for these days? Tried looking up some auction prices on Heritage, but it seems they have never sold one.

I'll pick up the gauntlet thrown down by RareHighGrade.

Scoop2.jpg

Does anyone know what A Scoop 2 goes for these days? Tried looking up some auction prices on Heritage, but it seems they have never sold one.

The problem is finding one to buy or sell so few come up to base a value on!

10267253424_ed71c489fd_c.jpg

Bedbugs are a problem in the 2010s but not as bad as in the 1940s.

Chesler comics contained a load of wonderful mad scientists.

That's pretty hardcore. Early superhero books could be as horrific as PCH.

I just picked up a Scoop 2 off of Ebay. It was graded as a Fine minus, and had pictures of both front and back covers, plus inside front cover. Problem is, the book turns out to have been over graded quite a bit. It has tape on the inside front and back covers. The kind of tape that was put on a very long time ago and gets brownish and a little brittle. There is also a water stain across a number of pages at the right hand margin. Neither of these major defect were disclosed, and not visible or shown in the pictures.

I have informed the seller as to the above and stated my dissatisfaction and asked him how he might want to proceed. What would any of you do in a similar situation?

You can see the book at this link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Golden-Age-Scoop-Comics-2-Very-Rare-Classic-Lou-Fine-Cover-5-5-Fine-/151132643081?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

One more while I'm at it. You hardly ever see this one for sale, so I'm assuming it is very rare as well. Just not as coveted as some of the other Chesler covers. Again, I think it shows what a great artist Sultan was. I would have to go with Scoop #2 though for his best golden age cover, EVER!

Scoop%2520%25233%2520%2528150%2529.jpg

Not his best, but still great to own this Sultan cover....very Finesque in his inking...

This is just a wonderful piece of art Jon!!!

This is not an easy book to find and in my humble opinion, a bit underrated. Still, the Scoop 2 deservedly gets most of the glory.

I just picked up a Scoop 2 off of Ebay. It was graded as a Fine minus, and had pictures of both front and back covers, plus inside front cover. Problem is, the book turns out to have been over graded quite a bit. It has tape on the inside front and back covers. The kind of tape that was put on a very long time ago and gets brownish and a little brittle. There is also a water stain across a number of pages at the right hand margin. Neither of these major defect were disclosed, and not visible or shown in the pictures.

I have informed the seller as to the above and stated my dissatisfaction and asked him how he might want to proceed. What would any of you do in a similar situation?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Golden-Age-Scoop-Comics-2-Very-Rare-Classic-Lou-Fine-Cover-5-5-Fine-/151132643081?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

It's unfortunate that the seller chose not to disclose the tape, and the photos appear to avoid showing areas of the cover and spine where I assume the tape is. The only remedy for tape you describe, is removal and likely some restoration. Matt / Kenny are working on my similarly impaired copy of Hit #5. If you decided to keep the book and go that route, I'd ask the seller to discount the price since they didn't disclose the damage. 2c

P.S. you'll need it to pay for the work needed to remove the tape :gossip:

You are correct in my opinion. The photos do not show the taped ares or water stain. I assume at this point it was purposeful, perhaps not. Giving seller benefit of doubt and giving him the opportunity to make things right. I have had great experience buying thing from EBay, and then not so much. It's too small of a collecting society to burn your bridges. That part I just don't get.

I don't know what FMV for a 3.0 is, but that's what you're describing at best. The seller offers free return shipping, so take him up on it, but if you'd like the book anyway, just at a lower price, tell him what it is. He'll either say go ahead and return it, or agree.