• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cherish a Chesler!
2 2

638 posts in this topic

Et-Es -Go ,your copy is pretty nice looking to me ,just to have a copy is a feat ,Great paintings of the books.Live long and collect!

Straw-man,Thanks for the praise i just put up a Larson copy of Champion 4 on the Larson tread see what you think.Thanks Comicjack

what do i think? i think it's a damn shame it doesn't reside in cajun country, that's what i think. both it and the centaur are wonderful.

I don’t want to sound annoying, but as much as Ryan’s paintings are A+ skillful, I don’t think they are entirely suited to the atmosphere of the Chesler covers (especially those by that other artist, Ricca, not Sultan).

This is not meant to make a negative criticism of any kind, just an observation about how the original mood is difficult to "recreate" with a different illustration technique.

I don’t want to sound annoying, but as much as Ryan’s paintings are A+ skillful, I don’t think they are entirely suited to the atmosphere of the Chesler covers (especially those by that other artist, Ricca, not Sultan).

This is not meant to make a negative criticism of any kind, just an observation about how the original mood is difficult to "recreate" with a different illustration technique.

Although I know that you weren't being critical of Ryan's work, I have to say that, in some cases, I've found Ryan's recreations to be so good that they were even better than recreations by the original artists themselves.

Classic Dynamic cover #11

Cheslercomics2.jpg

I think this begs the question: When one is shrunk to a size that allows one to be inserted into a test tube and a mad scientist is melting the poor fellow a tube or two over, which of the following is considered the appropriate response?

a) Mug the woman next to you

b) Flirt with the man next to you

c) Examine the melted leftovers of the person next to you

or

d) Freak the hell out!

Although I know that you weren't being critical of Ryan's work, I have to say that, in some cases, I've found Ryan's recreations to be so good that they were even better than recreations by the original artists themselves.

Oh, yes, it may happen. I was mostly talking about the technique: it seems to me Ryan uses tempera paints, or the like. Of course there is also an element of taste involved, so it’s difficult to express properly.

For example, I recall some full-painted artwork with Kirby characters, which I found less evocative than the black & white (colored or not) art.

@walclark: What’s really top absurdity on that cover is the smuggler. I guess your first thought, should you found yourself reduced to test-tube size and in the process of being killed by melting you with some chemical, would be to mug women with a self-assured smile on your face. :screwy:

Both pieces are spectacular. The only thing I would have done differently would have been to include Ryan's trademark little drips, scratches, and other tiny imperfections. I can understand if they're not everyone's cup of tea, but to me they made the paintings more interesting and personal, challenging the viewer to think about why they were put there and immediately giving away the artist's identity. When I look at these paintings, they show beautiful imagery, but it's a bit like looking at a Thomas Kinkade painting in that there's nothing left to think about.

Both pieces are spectacular. The only thing I would have done differently would have been to include Ryan's trademark little drips, scratches, and other tiny imperfections. I can understand if they're not everyone's cup of tea, but to me they made the paintings more interesting and personal, challenging the viewer to think about why they were put there and immediately giving away the artist's identity. When I look at these paintings, they show beautiful imagery, but it's a bit like looking at a Thomas Kinkade painting in that there's nothing left to think about.

I had specifically asked Ryan to make them the way they appear. He had given me the option to add some patina to them, but I opted for what you see. And I love what he did. I have seen several of Ryan's cover recreations and I can certainly spot his work and style with or without any added patina. You guys should take a look at his own original artwork and check out that unique style and imagery.

Edited by Et-Es-Go

I wasn’t questioning whether they were spectacular, or good. I think you missed my point, but it’s not easy to explain. hm

When reintepreting something, the degree of inclusion of peculiar touches is up to the artist, anyway, but this has nothing to do with my observation about reinterpreting an existing image.

Edited by vaillant

I know this is a Chesler thread, but I thought I'd chime in here for one post, since my work is being discussed...

First of all, to clarify, I do the recreations in acrylic.

Second, I do agree with Valliant that some covers and artists lend themselves to my style of recreations better than others. But , the covers are not my choice and I always try to do the best possible job and be as faithful to the original cover as I can. This can be tough, as GA artists fudged a lot of details! Also, certain pen/brush/ink techniques can be difficult to replicate with paint.

I've found that the tighter the cover art, the easier it is to capture the feel of the cover. For instance, Schomburg covers, though time consuming, are actually easy to make look very good (not surprising). On the flip side, ACTIONs 1 or 7 were difficult, as Shuster's artwork is very loose and simple, and much of the image has to be filled in by me because of the economy of the work.

I too like the drips, smudges and "aging" on the work tb, but again, its the customer's call. I know it can be distracting for some people, but I've always liked "lived in" things (my comics are far from near mint), and try to give that feel to my work.

Don't want to high jack the thread, but wanted to add my 2c . Thanks for discussing my work!

Comicjack, got any more Chesler's kicking around?

maybe I should contribute an actual Chesler while I'm here...

My only Chesler, but not my last. I have always loved this suggestive cover. Pretty common book, but doesn't diminish the coolness of the cover!

dynamic16-1.jpg