• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should you try to make deals a comic cons?

161 posts in this topic

I always wonder if it is prudent to ask a dealer at a show if he can do better on a book or not. Some dealers every time you look at there books will say, “I’m marking stuff down, let me know if your interested in something and we can work something out”. I can think of numerous dealers who conduct business that way.

Then you have other dealers who look at you like you just asked them if you can sleep with there daughter when you ask for a discount.

What do you guy’s think? I can understand both sides of the coin, but I would like to hear some other opinions.

post number 600 yahooo!!!!

I always wonder if it is prudent to ask a dealer at a show if he can do better on a book or not. Some dealers every time you look at there books will say, “I’m marking stuff down, let me know if your interested in something and we can work something out”. I can think of numerous dealers who conduct business that way.

Then you have other dealers who look at you like you just asked them if you can sleep with there daughter when you ask for a discount.

What do you guy’s think? I can understand both sides of the coin, but I would like to hear some other opinions.

Hell yea!

I always have room to move on what i sale if i did not i would not have bought it to start out why some dealers don't want to move on there stuff i don't know but i do know what your talking about what made me mad most of all is when i ask to look at a book which was not to high in value but the dealer said well that's a 1500.00 book and look at me like i could not afford it i had never been so pissed until then that was at a show back in 2003 i will never forget that eather.

Hell yea!

thumbsup2.gif The only time I don't ask for a discount is with cheapie books or where the price is so reasonable that I would be embarassed to ask. Otherwise, I always do!

In my very limited con experiences I've found very few dealers that aren't willing to listen to an offer. In fact, I've only met one; a guy who wanted $275.00 for an Avengers 57 in about VF condition. 893whatthe.gif He told me he was firm on the price before I even considered making an offer, which I wasn't going to anyhow.

However, when I go to cons I usually plan on buying several books which tends to give me a little negotiating power. I've talked dealers down on single books too, but if I'm holding 5 or 10 books in my hand I usually get a much better discount. If that doesn't work, then I ask 'em if I can sleep with their daughter. insane.gif

Just don't pull a stack of books from nicely organized boxes,thrust them in the dealers face and tell him you are only interested in his very best price.

And please don't pull out a wad of cash and start thumbing thru it while we negotiate.Had someone try that recently,so I pulled out my bigger wad of cash and started counting it as well.

If that doesn't work, then I ask 'em if I can sleep with their daughter. insane.gif

Any fun stories to share on this?

I've been going to cons by myself since I was 19. I used to get the brush off from SA dealers, including one I later became friendly with and bought often from. Once they realized I wasn't just gawking and really did want to see that ASM 14 and make an offer, I was taken somewhat seriously.......there are a few dealers who were rude and they never got my business.

I learned early not to sweat a dealer, if I got a price higher than I wanted I'd hand the book back and say thanks. More than half the time I'd get a "well I guess I could......." and a counter offer. Never feel pressured and never pay more than you're comfortable with, there are always other dealers.

Just don't pull a stack of books from nicely organized boxes,thrust them in the dealers face and tell him you are only interested in his very best price.

And please don't pull out a wad of cash and start thumbing thru it while we negotiate.Had someone try that recently,so I pulled out my bigger wad of cash and started counting it as well.

I'm very respectful of all the dealers I talk to, I work conventions for my job and know how much work goes into selling at a show. I don't ever have a wad of cash and if I did, it would have to be all 1 dollar bills. Plus, that kind of stuff makes people look a little foolish. I usually talk to the dealer first to get an impression of what kind of person they are. It may sound weird, but I won't buy from someone I don't like. If I find a few books I'm looking for, I'll usually say something like, "would you take xxx for these?" Sometimes they say yes, sometimes they say no, but I'd take xxx, and sometimes they say, "did you just ask if you could sleep with my daughter?" 893naughty-thumb.gifand I run as fast as an overweight, out of shape, old guy can run.

No, I'm married (happily cloud9.gif). I kid. Thought it sounded funny when element wrote it.

27_laughing.gif

Call me old fashioned but I never even considered asking for a discount at a con or my LCS for back issues. I either liked the price or not. I'm not a haggle type guy and really don't care for the practice. Still don't...even on this Forum.

Jim

If that doesn't work, then I ask 'em if I can sleep with their daughter. insane.gif

I've been going to cons by myself since I was 19. I used to get the brush off from SA dealers, including one I later became friendly with and bought often from. Once they realized I wasn't just gawking and really did want to see that ASM 14 and make an offer, I was taken somewhat seriously.......there are a few dealers who were rude and they never got my business.

I learned early not to sweat a dealer, if I got a price higher than I wanted I'd hand the book back and say thanks. More than half the time I'd get a "well I guess I could......." and a counter offer. Never feel pressured and never pay more than you're comfortable with, there are always other dealers.

It really is about the relationship you develop with a particular dealer. Of course, if you're at your first ever show and have yet to learn the ropes it doesn't hurt to politely ask whichever dealer has books you're after whether it's acceptable to make an offer on any of them.

As has been previously said, the worst they can do is say no, and if they do take serious umbrage at that question then you quickly move on. Usually the response is "Put together a stack, and I'll work with you".

And it doesn't take long for dealers to spot or learn whether you're a serious buyer or just gawking at their books. Those guys can smell money. tongue.gif