• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should you try to make deals a comic cons?

161 posts in this topic

If you're ever in my area, please dont stop in, you'll just be wasting both of our time. screwy.gif

Most of the rest of the comments on this thread have been reasonable. In my store, I will discount for repeat customers, or for someone buying multiple books, but you better be a heavy repeat customer and buying a lot of books to expect even 20% off. If a single book is more than $200, I will consider 10% to 15% off... if it isnt something I just bought.

Here's an interesting post over on the Comic Price Guide forum's about awkward offer situations.

One time I was going through quarter bins and was shooting for $10 worth. I handed the stack to the dealer, who counted each one and asked for $10.25. I asked if he'd do an even $10 but nope, I'd have to put one book back. I did so but rolled my eyes that a little counting mistake on one of our parts would add some trouble.

Whenever I see $10 books priced in the $30 range, I won't bother to deal with a seller. Maybe they are hoping to get slightly more than the going rate but there's no way I'm going to haggle for something I could get elsewhere with ease.

-Bob

I'll respond to the "I can get this somewhere else with ease".

I see this all the time.

Whenever I see a collector who has bought something somewhere else I casually ask to take a look. Sometimes you are absolutely right, they did get a good deal and I let them know. But there are also times where they are missing a major defect that basically negates that "great deal". And I'm not going to be the one to bust their bubble. I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for.

If you're ever in my area, please dont stop in, you'll just be wasting both of our time.

Was that for me? I was just joking. I thought it would be funny and teach the buyer a lesson. I would never ask for 50% off a comic. The most I've ever tried to get was 15% on a bulk purchase of around 20 or so books. I try to be very respectful to all the dealers I talk to and/or buy from and would never insult them with an insanely lowball offer.

I got back into the hobby three years ago, have $125 saved up took my first visit to my back-issue LCS and bought some Tales of Suspense and Strange Tales careful to make sure I had enough left for sales tax.

I took the stack to the register, he rang them up and said "And you get a discount for that nice stack of books," he said hitting some register key. It was 15% and I thought it was wonderful. Been back on a regular basis.

"Going rate" - The great debate.

If there is one other area of great argument it's the "Going rate" debate.

Today it's GPAnalysis, the guy on ebay selling a copy yesterday and god knows everybody out there who thinks they know what I should price my books for.

I work this business every day. I buy books all the time. I sell a lot of books. In fact I've been selling a lot of books for years. Sometimes you and I don't see eye to eye on the "Going rate". That's ok, I make mistakes to but please setup a booth where I can check out your pricing.

25% and you ask for 40%?

This is my point exactly and why threads about dealers paying less than fair market value continue.

Give me a break.

Ammmmm, I don't sell...

I could give a ratsass what the dealers fmv is.

It doesn't hurt to ask, and I will never shy away from my method.

When I go to these shows I have a "good" amount to spend.

If the dealers aren't willing to deal - I WALK period.

It is MY MONEY ya know!

This is why I take my time with my collection,

any other way and you get juiced.

And the last thing I want to get juiced on

is on a friggin' funny book.

tongue.gif

Of course you don't sell. And when you do I'm sure you will be the person wanting Full market value. The same type of person who wants me to sell at 60-70% of guide yet wants me to buy their books at 100% or more of guide. Great business model and one that I will implement immediately.

If you're ever in my area, please dont stop in, you'll just be wasting both of our time. screwy.gif

Most of the rest of the comments on this thread have been reasonable. In my store, I will discount for repeat customers, or for someone buying multiple books, but you better be a heavy repeat customer and buying a lot of books to expect even 20% off. If a single book is more than $200, I will consider 10% to 15% off... if it isnt something I just bought.

What are you doing talking about stores????

This is a COMIC CON! Dealers want to liquidate at a show and I offer the money

they are looking for.

I wouldn't go into a LCS with this type of haggle anyways.

and by the by, I haven't been to Canuck Country in about 20 years so likelyhood

of some of my sweet greenbacks greasing your palm are next to none.

My comic con style is style all to my own either you love it or hate it.

I am there at the starting gun of the cons opening and ranger walk around the whole

perimeter before I locate my targets. Usually about 10 to 20. Then I hit them after I

prioritize them until I spend what I have.

I am what the con market calls a "high end" demon shopper.

devil.gif

I see this all the time.

Whenever I see a collector who has bought something somewhere else I casually ask to take a look. Sometimes you are absolutely right, they did get a good deal and I let them know. But there are also times where they are missing a major defect that basically negates that "great deal". And I'm not going to be the one to bust their bubble. I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for.

thumbsup2.gif

Of course you don't sell. And when you do I'm sure you will be the person wanting Full market value. The same type of person who wants me to sell at 60-70% of guide yet wants me to buy their books at 100% or more of guide. Great business model and one that I will implement immediately.

WRONG!

I am not in this for profit.

I love the hobby for what it is - entertainment.

This simple fact that these books are worth something now helps nothing.

If I attempt to sell I expect to lose money, that is why I am very selective

on the best deal.

so please, save your assumptions for the next man.

tongue.gif

I see this all the time.

You bring up a good point, especially when the book is listed as "NM." There's such a huge difference in price between 9.4 and a 9.8 and it's often very difficult to tell such an exact grade with a quick look. In these cases, I think it's best to advertise your book as being in a 9.6/8 or whatever it is condition instead of just "NM."

The "going rate" is another interesting idea. I only wish I could be shopping for the quality of books you have, blazingbob smile.gif If a higher dollar book (>$25 for me) were around the price I am willing to pay and I liked the dealer, I would pay the asking price without asking for a discount. If buying multiple books, I'd go for the "can I get a bit of a discount for buying multiples?" route, but not expecting any discount.

-Bob

I like most dealers. I have tried to build a relationship with many of them that benifits me as a collector on a budget, while still allowing them to still make a buck. I have no problem with them making money.

Wanting my bottom line on every book or I walk is way to one sided of a street for me to walk on. To me the Con is about talking comics and making new friends, as much as it is about buying comics.

Hearing you call the dealers "Targets" really bothers me, and I am not even a dealer. frown.gif

Besides, I have had more good deals thrown my way by playing the game as it is, rather then dictating to them how I want it played.

Ze-

I don't mind paying as long as the seller is fair and honest with his grading and Bob certainly falls into that category. However, too many dealers over grade their books, know that they over grade their books and then inflate prices according to the inaccurate grades. Its funny how books rarely are undergraded in this business.

to add to what I said earlier, this is my strategy at cons only.

I am their not make friends, but to deal.

Many people here know I am a great guy and buyer off of these boards

and not some leech. I do ask for the best deal at LCS and to sellers here

but after they state what they are looking for I usually don't nickel and dime

them after that.

Just a heads-up for those that don't know me.

Unfortunately, the regular joe loves to label ya quick.

thumbsup2.gif

I don't mind paying as long as the seller is fair and honest with his grading and Bob certainly falls into that category. However, too many dealers over grade their books, know that they over grade their books and then inflate prices according to the inaccurate grades. Its funny how books rarely are undergraded in this business.

I agree with SS. As long as the dealer is honest about the book's condition, it wouldn't bother me if they asked for $1 million. I could just easily say thank you and walk away.

I like most dealers. I have tried to build a relationship with many of them that benifits me as a collector on a budget, while still allowing them to still make a buck. I have no problem with them making money.

Wanting my bottom line on every book or I walk is way to one sided of a street for me to walk on. To me the Con is about talking comics and making new friends, as much as it is about buying comics.

Hearing you call the dealers "Targets" really bothers me, and I am not even a dealer.

Besides, I have had more good deals thrown my way by playing the game, rather then dictating to them how I want to play it.

frown.gif

Ze-

I didn't call the dealers targets...

It's the books that I have my "hit list" that are targeted.

gossip.gif