• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should you try to make deals a comic cons?

161 posts in this topic

How would you negotiate lets say [ a mile high key book]?. Knowing that there are 30 guys behind you ready to scoop it up.What would be your approach to a special situation like this.Interested in hearing your approach since I have been in these situations.Your never told old to learn more ....

Pretend an auction house dosnt have it and a dealer does.

I always ask and I expect 15-25% off on decent size purchases. When I set up at a show as a dealer, even if I'm charging guide, I expect to discount a book by 25% to move it, for every person who buys a book from me and doesn't ask for a discount I feel like I just won the lottery. Heck even a $5.00 book if someone offered me $3.00 I'd probably take it 9 times out of ten. If I've had a book for 5-6 shows in a row, I've A) priced it too high B) theres little demand for it, I would probably sell it for a 50% discount if asked.

Jim

Wow, guys - a great topic! Lots of schools of thought out there, from both sides 893scratchchin-thumb.gif!

If it's a cheap-o that's fair I'll usually bite right away. Then, I'll hit 'em with the good 'ol number-chunchin' on the books I'm really after. Pile up a few and offer a fair price for all. Usually a done deal, as I wasn't insulting right off the bat... but that's me.

Good topic... what else... thumbsup2.gif?

How would you negotiate lets say [ a mile high key book]?. Knowing that there are 30 guys behind you ready to scoop it up.What would be your approach to a special situation like this.Interested in hearing your approach since I have been in these situations.Your never told old to learn more ....

Pretend an auction house dosnt have it and a dealer does.

There are exceptions to every rule, and since I've never bought a Mile High book, I would suspect that the key there isn't price, but if there are 30 people, getting to the table first.

But it's all about whether you want it. Does the dealer know there are 30 people behind you? If not, you can still ask what's the best they can do... it may be priced 2x what you'd ordinarily pay, and let's say you'd pay 1.5 and the dealer is comfortable with that.

As I said, there's no need to pay sticker when it comes to 99.9% of the books out there... I suppose that there are peds and keys out there which don't follow that rule.

Sheesh, I should look for more discounting if I go back to the Motor City show. 27_laughing.gif

I do tend to ask if they'd take "X" for a set of books. Usually 10 - 15% less appx. If they say "no" and I still think it's a fair price or really want it, I may give in. Otherwise I thank them for their time and move on.

I have to agree with some other comments about dealers at shows. (Some dealers I should add. ) If they don't take the time to put a price on a book, I don't waste my time.

If I see sky high pricing, I tend not too spend much time there.

If Spawn #1 is good enough to make their display board, I doubt there's anything there for me. 27_laughing.gif

If the boxes aren't in some order, I don't bother. (If the boxes look like they fell off the truck, I tend to pass also. ) I don't have the patience to wade through a "sliver age" box that has various titles stashed helter skelter. Maybe I miss a "gem" but those are the breaks.

Yeah I was talking about the other 0.01 % , since this is the area I usually dwell.

Well, that's the problem. I don't think you get discounts there. That's where you beg just to see the book and pay for the privilege of buying it. Thankfully, I don't play there. Otherwise, discounts wouldn't be on the radar.

Id agree with the sentiment that I think a lot of dealers price their books above what theyre willing to take for a book expecting to price down to customers to their price. It makes the customer feel happy that they are getting a discount and probably helps in the sale of the book.

However I must admit just walking around Cons there are dealers whose prices are just out of whack on way too common books where it probably scares away more customers then not. Im sure Awe4one is not the only one who looks at sticker prices then just either says yes or no and walks away without speaking to the dealer. I know ive walked away from dealers tables just shaking my head without even thinking about asking about discounts.

On the other hand if I were a dealer and I priced my books reasonably Id imagine it could get annoying really fast having people continually asking for discounts, even if the price of the book is consistent with the current market. But then again thats why many dealers price their books above what theyre willing to take.

And Action1Kid if you are talking about the 0.1% books and you were the seller would you offer a discount ? Myself as a collector I know if I found a rare book that i wanted very badly and it was priced even at the upper echelon of what I was willing to spend Id pull the trigger knowing that the 30 people behind me would, as we found out in Mr. Benz's thread about the Batman #1, will climb over their mom to get " that book. "

Id agree with the sentiment that I think a lot of dealers price their books above what theyre willing to take for a book expecting to price down to customers to their price. It makes the customer feel happy that they are getting a discount and probably helps in the sale of the book. Sometimes I must admit just walking around Cons the prices are just out of whack on way too common books where it probably scares away more customers then not. Im sure Awe4one is not the only one who looks at sticker prices then just either says yes or no and walks away without speaking to the dealer. I know ive walked away from dealers tables just shaking my head without even thinking about asking about discounts.

However on the other hand if I were a dealer and I priced my books reasonably Id imagine it could get annoying really fast having people continually asking for discounts, even if the price of the book is consistent with the current market. But then again thats why many dealers price their books above what theyre willing to take.

And Action1Kid if you are talking about the 0.1% books and you were the seller would you offer a discount ? Myself as a collector I know if I found a rare book that i wanted very badly and it was priced even at the upper echelon of what I was willing to spend Id pull the trigger knowing that the 30 people behind me would as we found out in Mr. Benz's thread about the Batman #1 will climb over their mom to get " that book. "

Yes, That is how I would respond too

I used to do shows, but only a few a year. I would not want to price my books as the price should change from year to year. I would never have the time to reprice 10k books. It would be nice to have the books graded, but for the most part i used to let the buyer grade the book that way there would be no arguement on that front. Unless the book was a key I would always discount the books and the bigger stack they bought the bigger the discount was.

Call me old fashioned but I never even considered asking for a discount at a con or my LCS for back issues. I either liked the price or not. I'm not a haggle type guy and really don't care for the practice. Still don't...even on this Forum.

Jim

893whatthe.gif Wanna buy some books? devil.gif

I can't imagine not asking for a discount. All they can say is no. confused-smiley-013.gif

Yeah I was talking about the other 0.01 % , since this is the area I usually dwell.

Well, that's the problem. I don't think you get discounts there. That's where you beg just to see the book and pay for the privilege of buying it. Thankfully, I don't play there. Otherwise, discounts wouldn't be on the radar.

I disagree. I guess if the book is NA #26 and the buyer is Ian Levine, then the dealer might not budge. But a smart dealer will have already factored in the super desirability of the book into his asking price and marked it up additionally accordingly. So there's probably room for him to move and you should therefore ask. Worst thing he can do is say no, and if he does say no and you think his book is still worth buying at that price, then you buy it.

Interesting thread, one that I've responded to a few times.

My signs state 15% off.

Pretty nice start if you ask me.

CGC depends on the book but I'm willing to negotiate give or take 10%.

I love the questions "Can I get a bigger discount if I spend a lot of money". My response, define a "lot of money". For the record under $1000 is not a lot of money. I spend thousands and sometimes don't get more than 15% off.

In response to some posts that if the books don't sell in 5 shows they are overpriced or not in demand. Wow, I should sell all my inventory if I worked on this business model.

I will negotiate within reason, I still feel that people get very annoyed when you don't sell them something at their price. Last time I checked life doesn't always go your way and I'd really like a BMW but the damn dealer won't sell me one at my price. And that doctor I really want to go to refuses to discount. I find that sadly once you introduce discounting people think it's a open door to chew you down to nothing. It's almost as if I have to rip off the owner of those books in order to satisfy the "cheapskates" out there. And you know who you are.

I always ask for the dealers "best" price the book.

That way I can gauge at how bad he wants to get rid of the book.

If he comes down 25% I usually ask if he will take 40% and meet somewhere in between.

If says less than 20% I usually walk, unless it is a book I really, really want.

thumbsup2.gif

I always ask for a discount of 10-20% from what the book is priced at...depending on how many I'm buying (or how much I'm spending). I always name that price, rounding to the closest $10. I guess about 80% of the time, the dealer gives a counter and I say ok.

I would also say that I only ask if I was ready to buy immediately if the dealer agreed to my price.

If there is no price, I ask, "What's your best price on this book?"

If the book is way overpriced, I just walk away.