• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should you try to make deals a comic cons?

161 posts in this topic

If you're ever in my area, please dont stop in, you'll just be wasting both of our time. screwy.gif

Most of the rest of the comments on this thread have been reasonable. In my store, I will discount for repeat customers, or for someone buying multiple books, but you better be a heavy repeat customer and buying a lot of books to expect even 20% off. If a single book is more than $200, I will consider 10% to 15% off... if it isnt something I just bought.

What are you doing talking about stores????

This is a COMIC CON! Dealers want to liquidate at a show and I offer the money

they are looking for.

I wouldn't go into a LCS with this type of haggle anyways.

and by the by, I haven't been to Canuck Country in about 20 years so likelyhood

of some of my sweet greenbacks greasing your palm are next to none.

My comic con style is style all to my own either you love it or hate it.

I am there at the starting gun of the cons opening and ranger walk around the whole

perimeter before I locate my targets. Usually about 10 to 20. Then I hit them after I

prioritize them until I spend what I have.

I am what the con market calls a "high end" demon shopper.

devil.gif

No,you are what is known as a word that I can't use here.It rhymes with the word for a military handradio.Should you happen to be at a show I set up at,ranger walk right past me,save us both some grief.

What are you doing talking about stores????

This is a COMIC CON! Dealers want to liquidate at a show and I offer the money

they are looking for.

I wouldn't go into a LCS with this type of haggle anyways.

and by the by, I haven't been to Canuck Country in about 20 years so likelyhood

of some of my sweet greenbacks greasing your palm are next to none.

My comic con style is style all to my own either you love it or hate it.

I am there at the starting gun of the cons opening and ranger walk around the whole

perimeter before I locate my targets. Usually about 10 to 20. Then I hit them after I

prioritize them until I spend what I have.

I am what the con market calls a "high end" demon shopper.

I like most dealers. I have tried to build a relationship with many of them that benifits me as a collector on a budget, while still allowing them to still make a buck. I have no problem with them making money.

Wanting my bottom line on every book or I walk is way to one sided of a street for me to walk on. To me the Con is about talking comics and making new friends, as much as it is about buying comics.

Hearing you call the dealers "Targets" really bothers me, and I am not even a dealer.

Besides, I have had more good deals thrown my way by playing the game, rather then dictating to them how I want to play it.

frown.gif

Ze-

I didn't call the dealers targets...

It's the books that I have my "hit list" that are targeted.

gossip.gif

Fair enough, could you edit your post to read "Target Books"? The way it originally read was a little misleading since we were talking about haggling and dealers.

At least it was confusing to me

flowerred.gif

Ze-

Dealers want to liquidate at show?

I have multiple agenda's setting up at shows.

I want to make some money. Making 10X my expenses is my goal.

I want customers to feel just as good about buying books from me as I feel making the sale. I don't look at a customer as a pocket of money and me finding a way to separate him from it.

I want customers who haven't met me come up, see my grading in person, meet me and maybe do future business. I want them to be comfortable ordering books over the internet.

I want to buy books and make new connections for material. I find that paying fairly means that I am contacted when dealers are selling other books.

I want to meet sellers who are selling their collections. I would like them to know that I am not going to waste their time.

I prefer not dealing with liars who chew me down, tell me they want the book for their collection and then me seeing it on ebay the monday after the con.

No problem big spender

"You WI$H!"

"I am sincerely sorry that I don't pay to send your kids to college, or help your mansion's mortgage,

or help you with your new yacht..."

have a nice day pig boy...

before someone $lops it up.

flowerred.gif

Let's try to nip this exchange in the bud... You have a different viewpoint than most. It's controversial.

Let's leave it at that.

GOOD GRIEF!

You guys are getting REALLY defensive about this.

I usually know whos booths are CGC members are and

refain from these tatics there.

That is why it is so surprizing to most of you that sell.

trust me, I don't sweat my board bros.

shy.gif

I think it is not about how you treat all the folks you know. But more how you treat those you dont.

C'mon Nerf, dont act surprised that people(especially the dealers here) might find your hardline tactics offensive. Even if you only use them on dealers you dont know.

I agree with Shin though, debating this well not get us much further then we are now.

Let us retire to the Bar and have drinks , shall we?

Ze-

Dude, having an opinion is one thing, but whats up with all the insults and name bombs confused-smiley-013.gif

sorry. I just had too many fireballs at once that I was enduring.

I tell how I deal at a con and now I am public enemy # 1.

"It's Custards last stand around here I tell ya!"

how can anyone be pizzed-off at lil' ole me???

grin.gif

GOOD GRIEF!

You guys are getting REALLY defensive about this.

I usually know whos booths are CGC members are and

refain from these tatics there.

That is why it is so surprizing to most of you that sell.

trust me, I don't sweat my board bros.

shy.gif

I think it is not about how you treat all the folks you know. But more how you treat those you dont.

C'mon Nerf, dont act surprised that people(especially the dealers here) might find your hardline tactics offensive. Even if you only use them on dealers you dont know.

I agree with Shin though, debating this well not get us much further then we are now.

Let us retire to the Bar and have drinks , shall we?

Ze-

cloud9.gif

It's really simple.

1) any buyer will have a price that they are willing to let an item go for, whether it's comics, toys, real estate or prostitution.

2) any seller will have a price that they are willing to let an item go for, whether it's comics, toys, real estate or prostitution.

3) If these two parties agree on price, an exchange is made.

4) If not they go their separate ways.

5) If one of the parties involved is insulting, demeaning, unreasonable etc, the other party is free to NOT deal with them. No need for any sort of unreasonable action on either party. Don't like the price? Walk and find better in a nice way. Easy as that. It's what makes the free market go round.

If someone insults me with a low ball $ (heaven knows there are boardies here with a rep like that), I'll politely decline. If someone insults me on here after an exchange that I've declined without fact or reason, I'll ignore. If someone walks into my place of business and insults me or demeans me, I'll have them removed by whatever legal means necessary. I would expect them to do the same to me if I crossed the line.

6) They way you deal those you don't know may reflect what you think of those that do.

It's just Comics, kids...the thrill of the hunt is the fun part. Don't make it all out war.

O.K. O.K.

I guess it is time for a review...

A) I am buying for my private collection (NOT to flip)

I've been collecting for over 25 years and never sold a book much less flipped one

B) I want the best price I can get

WHAT'S THE PROBLEM HERE?

I'm not robbing anyone by gunpoint. I'm making a friggin' comic deal at a Con.

And before everyone wants to hang me out to dry Let's

ask these Big Sellers that are so puffed-up -

what percentages they buy collections for???

And remember ye comic sellers - there is a special extra hot place in hellfire for untruths!

devil.gif

Depends. A lot of times, all I have to do is look a book over and stand there looking pensive and the dealer will offer me 5-20% or so. If there's something I really want and the price is a little high, or I'm not sure what a 'fair' price is, I'll ask them to drop it a few bucks. If I'm getting a great deal already, I don't push it, I just buy the thing. If someone's stock is consistently way, way overpriced, I don't bother...just walk away. I'm not comfortable asking someone for 50% or more off, even if I know I could get that price elsewhere with a little effort. If someone wants to price your comics outside the bounds of all reality, that's their business.

Of course you don't sell. And when you do I'm sure you will be the person wanting Full market value. The same type of person who wants me to sell at 60-70% of guide yet wants me to buy their books at 100% or more of guide. Great business model and one that I will implement immediately.

27_laughing.gif

O.K. O.K.

I guess it is time for a review...

A) I am buying for my private collection (NOT to flip)

I've been collecting for over 25 years and never sold a book much less flipped one

B) I want the best price I can get

WHAT'S THE PROBLEM HERE?

I'm not robbing anyone by gunpoint. I'm making a friggin' comic deal at a Con.

And before everyone wants to hang me out to dry Let's

ask these Big Sellers that are so puffed-up -

what percentages they buy collections for???

And remember ye comic sellers - there is a special extra hot place in hellfire for untruths!

devil.gif

I guess the point I was trying to make was that it does not matter who the seller is and who the buyer is. It's the way any sort of a deal is approached. Good attitude usually reaps good results.

% paid? Depends on the book. I've sold books to dealers for full guide or even over guide. I've also bought for fractions of guide from dealers. There are so many variables there are no easy rules.

I give/take how much i feel comfortable with or walk. It's that easy. And i have a good time/attitude no matter what happens.

I think the point of this thread was lost. Everyone looks for deals at cons. It never hurts to ask politely. And if you're patient, some dealers may discount stuff more at the end of a con. Less stuff to carry, declare, more $$ in pocket...etc.

Anyway. That's it for me.

R.