• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should you try to make deals a comic cons?

161 posts in this topic

It never hurts to ask politely.

I never said I was rude.

When the seller answers my what's your best price question.

I usually go lower and say how about $ ––––––––– price with cash

and have the bills in hand.

If they say no, I'll put the bills back and walk.

I don't see anything rude about that.

It's not just comics fellas, If this were a boards full of Car Salesman

I'd be on their poopy list too.

Everyones a hater 'til they foundout I got my wifes Benz 10k below Kelly.

crazy.gif

I never said I was rude.

crazy.gif

You ask what the best price is while waving your wad of cash,get the answer and then lo-ball that,and you don't think thats rude?You are the poster boy for my comments in this thread for how not to get a discount thumbsup2.gif

I never said I was rude.

crazy.gif

You ask what the best price is while waving your wad of cash,get the answer and then lo-ball that,and you don't think thats rude?You are the poster boy for my comments in this thread for how not to get a discount thumbsup2.gif

FOR GOD SAKES READ!

OPEN UP YOUR EYES AND JUST READ!

That isn't what I wrote!

makepoint.gif

I never said I was rude.

crazy.gif

FOR GOD SAKES READ!

That isn't what I wrote!

makepoint.gif

Maybe you need to be clearer...because that's the way I read it too... confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim

I never said I was rude.

crazy.gif

FOR GOD SAKES READ!

That isn't what I wrote!

makepoint.gif

Maybe you need to be clearer...because that's the way I read it too... confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim

Step One: Seller answers the question.

Step Two: I counter offer with Cash.

For real - Am I missing something?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm just looking for a deal fellas, nothing personal, honest!

crazy.gif

Maybe I need to change my Avatar to Vader or something...

the way these sellers at the Cons gladily take my

hard earned money - I must stink of Pure Evil!

I never said I was rude.

crazy.gif

FOR GOD SAKES READ!

That isn't what I wrote!

makepoint.gif

Jim

Step Two: I counter offer with Cash. foreheadslap.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

crazy.gif

CASH? AS opposed to what,shiny marbles?

for what it's worth, if i misunderstood...

flowerred.gif

Everybody plays the haggle game. I just try to be realistic. I won't offer $600 for a $1500 book if the asking price is $1700 or whatever. 'know what i mean?

gotta bounce boys and girls. Hot date... headbang.gif

R.

I never said I was rude.

crazy.gif

FOR GOD SAKES READ!

That isn't what I wrote!

makepoint.gif

Jim

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

crazy.gif

Ever heard of Credit???

Most dealers I deal with allow CC's, but I don't need to.

(thus NO fees=better deal)

confused-smiley-013.gif

I never said I was rude.

crazy.gif

FOR GOD SAKES READ!

That isn't what I wrote!

makepoint.gif

Jim

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

crazy.gif

Ever heard of Credit???

Most dealers I deal with allow CC's, but I don't need to.

(thus NO fees=better deal)

confused-smiley-013.gif

I get what you're saying. When I bought my Hulk #1 at a show, his asking price was $1200. He came down a little bit, but not a lot when I asked (I didn't mention I had the cash at this time). Later, I came back and asked him if he would take $1000 cash. He said he couldn't go that low, so I walked around a bit. I came back even later and we worked out his best deal for cash, which ended up being $1,050 (cheaper than his initial discount). We both were happy with the transaction.

Smartest way to deal IMO is to ask for their best price, then ask if they would go a little cheaper for cash. You figure, they save on CC fees and don't run the risk of chargebacks. Their "best price" may not change when you ask, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Smartest way to deal IMO is to ask for their best price, then ask if they would go a little cheaper for cash. You figure, they save on CC fees and don't run the risk of chargebacks. Their "best price" may not change when you ask, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Well thank you sweet jesus!

Somebody on these threads finally got what I was trying to say!

Better watch out there scheradon, you'll have a boat load of sellers

telling you to stay away from their booths and not let them get your money.

I tell you threats like that keep me up at nights.

blush.gif

And not selling to you will ruin my nites,as well.

Heres a little newsflash for ya,if money was the sole concern of most comic dealers,they'd have left the business long ago.

To do a decent sized one day show,I've got to put in anywhere from ten to twenty hours of prep time,a couple hours of transit time,stand on my feet for ten hours trying to sell books,listen to people tell me whatever uninteresting story they feel like sharing,prevent theives from walking off with my stock and a brazillion other things.Last thing I need is some yahoo asking me to name my best price abnd then try to undercut it when I do.How about I tell you a price,get you to agree with it,and then raise it on you.Whats the difference?Huh?

Hows this for a plan? you buy a few books at the set price and come back later towards the end of the show.I recognize you as an upright citizen and am happy to work out a deal.The way you work,I'll be busy reading the paper when you come by,and will be suddenly hard of hearing as well.

It's really simple.

1) any buyer will have a price that they are willing to let an item go for, whether it's comics, toys, real estate or prostitution.

2) any seller will have a price that they are willing to let an item go for, whether it's comics, toys, real estate or prostitution.

3) If these two parties agree on price, an exchange is made.

4) If not they go their separate ways.

5) If one of the parties involved is insulting, demeaning, unreasonable etc, the other party is free to NOT deal with them. No need for any sort of unreasonable action on either party. Don't like the price? Walk and find better in a nice way. Easy as that. It's what makes the free market go round.

If someone insults me with a low ball $ (heaven knows there are boardies here with a rep like that), I'll politely decline. If someone insults me on here after an exchange that I've declined without fact or reason, I'll ignore. If someone walks into my place of business and insults me or demeans me, I'll have them removed by whatever legal means necessary. I would expect them to do the same to me if I crossed the line.

6) They way you deal those you don't know may reflect what you think of those that do.

It's just Comics, kids...the thrill of the hunt is the fun part. Don't make it all out war.

cricket… cricket… cricket…

I guess the point I was trying to make was that it does not matter who the seller is and who the buyer is. It's the way any sort of a deal is approached. Good attitude usually reaps good results.

% paid? Depends on the book. I've sold books to dealers for full guide or even over guide. I've also bought for fractions of guide from dealers. There are so many variables there are no easy rules.

I give/take how much i feel comfortable with or walk. It's that easy. And i have a good time/attitude no matter what happens.

I think the point of this thread was lost. Everyone looks for deals at cons. It never hurts to ask politely. And if you're patient, some dealers may discount stuff more at the end of a con. Less stuff to carry, declare, more $$ in pocket...etc.

Anyway. That's it for me.

R.

for what it's worth, if i misunderstood...

Everybody plays the haggle game. I just try to be realistic. I won't offer $600 for a $1500 book if the asking price is $1700 or whatever. 'know what i mean?

gotta bounce boys and girls. Hot date...

R.

smoke another one thumbsup2.gif

nerf:

I think that it really depends on the book you are looking for: if you are hoping to snag an Avengers 4 CGC 9.0 at 30% off -- I don't think that works.

If you're asking for VGs or Fines and saying you won't pay for just a 20% discount -- well, okay, I understand where you are coming from -- you want your midgrades at a 40% off guide discount -- or more.

HG (and thus Bob's position) puts you in a little different boat. Trying to get a deep discount on HG isn't going to happen in my experience, but some discount is appropriate.

Now -- I will disagree with Bob on a point that I hear often from the dealer side. GPA is a fair tool to use -- and often dealers balk when you quote GPA prices. I both understand this and reject this at the same time. If you have sales data and it backs up the price then fair enough -- but at the same time saying that GPA is useless when there have been let's say 5 other sales of the same book is worthless isn't fair either. To some degree it says, yes, you CAN buy the book cheaper.

But of course, my feeling is, when dealing with someone fair that you have a relationship with, stop complaining about the $20 difference and just pay it if you really want the book. I usually do, and so I'm not expecting that the dealer always has to cave and meet my price, sometime it's okay to come up with something fair for both of you.

But how up to date is GPA?How long does it take the sales from SD to get into it?

Its a tool,but its not the bible.

You being able to buy the book cheaper,somewhere,somehow doesn't mean the seller can't sell the book today for what he feels is a fair price.What you need to decide is if you can either wait to get the book elsewhere,or if everyone at the show is going to pass on the book as well.All the dealer needs is one person willing to meet his price and you are out of luck.

I like most like to get a ddiscount (and have a stutter) but my haggling skills are not great. AAt an Oaklandd show I was trying to get an OOAW 82 in fine + and asked would you go down ten bucks the dealer looked it over checked the guide and raised the price $25. Whats a bboy to do? "I'll take it" and now I have one.

But how up to date is GPA?How long does it take the sales from SD to get into it?

Its a tool,but its not the bible.

You being able to buy the book cheaper,somewhere,somehow doesn't mean the seller can't sell the book today for what he feels is a fair price.What you need to decide is if you can either wait to get the book elsewhere,or if everyone at the show is going to pass on the book as well.All the dealer needs is one person willing to meet his price and you are out of luck.

I never said it was the Bible. But you can't rule it out just because it's a lower price. I'm not asking the dealer to respond with "okay, I'll sell it at GPA". But you can't completely ignore it either.

There's few books you can't get someday in the future. I generally deal with dealers I like and trust, and the price is somewhat of a second thought if the price is within the range of fair.

Dude, having an opinion is one thing, but whats up with all the insults and name bombs confused-smiley-013.gif

It's totally bizarre. He started as nerfherder, and then somewhere in this thread he suddenly metamorphosed into comcasthawk. 27_laughing.gif