• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did your Mom ever throw away any comics?

59 posts in this topic

Actually I had the opposite happen to me. My mom encouraged us to read so she bought comics and all kinds of nature magazines. My dad was a NY City sanitation man and came home with the boxes of comics other kids mom's threw out.

Mica, a few years back when I patched things up with my dad and we sat eating lunch catching up on where were in our lives I told him I was into collecting old comics. He laughed and said he used to have tons of them. Superman , Batman etc...My eyes lit up and I said, as any collector would. "What did you do with them?" He told me his mom burned the entire trunk/chest, full of comics.(the old kind of trunk people used to travel overseas with)

They were his fathers and older brothers. His father died when he was very young and both brothers had long since moved away. My dad was the youngest by a good 15 years.

She didnt want them around to attract mice, or something.

"She burned them in the firepit out back" he said casually as he ate his lunch. I on the otherhand was not hungry anymore.

Poof..no more comic books.. flamed.gif

Ze-

My mom was great about keeping my comics, except when I left the first couple of issues of Vampirella laying around. They not only got tossed, but I earned a lecture on what was appropriate for a teen-ager living in her house.

My parents totally encouraged my collecting as a kid. I guess they thought I'd learn some good lessons: buying them with my own money taught me how to handle finances, bagging/boarding/storing them taught me about taking care of things I owned. I think they saw it from that point of view.

In other words, they knew better than to toss any of my books!

My mom was awesome! Not only did she not throw out any of my comic books, but she even saved all of the boxes that my toys came in! To this day at my parents house are all of my old toys - megos, star wars stuff, playsets (Mission to gamma 6 star trek playset, and the batcave, etc...), GI joe stuff, six million dollar man etc. etc... cloud9.gif Whenever she would take me to the store to get clothes or something, she would always let me hang out at the comic book rack and pick out something for myself - and typically I would pick out a Spidey or hulk and try to read everything else I could before it was time to go.

I only have 2 bad memories though, and one doesn't even involve my mom....

First bad memory occured when one of our cats peed on my treasured football card collection from the 70s lol! I was very upset about that.

Another time my mom got upset at me and threw away all of my Marvel pocket books which were reprints of all of the original stories. I read those little books constantly and I think she just got pissed off that I wouldn't read anything else lol.

ahhh good times good times cloud9.gif

I believe that my Grandmother did throw out my Dad's comics as well. I know that he did read some comics as a kid He was born in '26 so he was at a prime age when comics first came out. We only talked about it once or twice but i am pretty sure that (shall we all say it together) HIS MOM THREW OUT HIS COPY OF ACTION COMICS #1.

Maybe next time I am with him I will try to get more of the painful details (i.e. how many books did he have and what kind of titles did he read. Pulling out the Gerber and letting him page through it seems like a great way to jog the memory.

As a young kid in the late 50's I remember going on a few "paper drives" . Now I was no more than 5 at the time but I do seem to remember seeing comics and magazines mixed in the piles.If only......

My parents also supported me in collecting/reading comics. For Chanukkah one year they got me subscriptions to JLA, Adventure and I think Action. It was fun getting them all folded up in the brown wrapper. And when I see them in my collection now I can immeadiately recognize them due to the dreaded subscription crease

On one of our trips to visit the cousins I was reading some of the oldest son's comics and he dicided to give them all to me. It was a stack of maybe 50 Black Hawks. I read them, but I never really got into the characters. I still have them along with the other one that I have filled in over the years. I wonder if I should offer them back to him?

i actually traded mine away for a shoebox full of those little football helmets they used to have back in the late 70's. they we're so cool...i loved them for about a week. then i wanted my comics back. so down the street i went shoebox in hand, knocked on alex patapis's door thinking he wouldn't mind, but no luck. guess he was smarter then me.

hey alex....you on here?

One of the advantages of being the youngest of 8 kids is that my parents made most of their mistakes with my older brothers and sisters. Mom threw away my brother Mark's comics in the late 60s. I doubt he had more than a hundred or so, but he never let her forget it, so Mom left mine alone.

My grandmother did throw away my Dad & uncle's comics. They're twins, and were born in 1929, so they probably had all kinds of good stuff. The comics were all in a trunk that Grandma gave away when my Dad & Uncle were in Korea in the early 50s.

The only comic I remember my Mom buying me was Superman #299. My brothers and sisters had all gone to a Catholic high school, and the day I got my acceptance letter, Mom gave me the letter with the comic. It was very cool because Supes #299 is the 4th part of a 4-part story that I was really into. I remember reading it in the back of the station wagon on the way home from school.

Although my Mom never threw away my comics, my best friend did tear one up and stuff it into our mailbox. It was Richie Rich Gold & Silver #1, and he tore it up because I broke his Green Ghost game(although I still say it was his sister that broke it!).

Nope, I've never had the injustice of my comics getting thrown out. My parents actually supported me in my hobby - they said it would keep me off drugs. 27_laughing.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif did it work? poke2.gif

Yeah, it did for the most part. But I wont lie and say I've never experimented a little in my late teens. insane.gif

Glad thats over. acclaim.gif

Surprise is not the word!

My dad and his brother were both dentists and one of the offices was in Brighton Beach (in Brooklyn, NY). Back in the early 60's after my family had moved out to Long Island, we would occassionally visit "the other half" of the family.

My older cousin Marty was an avid DC reader and his father had no problem letting him get just about every title that was issued. Marty never kept them. They'd either wind up in the waiting room at the office or in a closet.

Whenever we would visit, I would read them cover to cover. Most of the time I was allowed to bring bunches of them home. I recall reading Adventure, Action, Superman, Batman, Blackhawk, Mystery in Space, and Worlds Finest. Obviously these books had rolled covers, bent corners, and spine stress - but they were delicious alternatives to the stuff I had to read in school.

Sometime in the 5th grade I came home with a not so terrific report card.

Shortly thereafter two boxes of comics from the back of the closet went missing.

Anguish, heartache, and general stupidity ensued from the loss.

It took a while to find out that they had simply been donated to the local synagogue's rummage sale. foreheadslap.gif

To this day I believe (in my heart of hearts) it was my Mom's way of punishing me for that report card...

Larry

First bad memory occured when one of our cats peed on my treasured football card collection from the 70s lol! I was very upset about that.

Those darn cats - they're all like that - another good reason not to have one, and there are many!Christo_pull_hair.gif