• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics #1 Mile High copy

283 posts in this topic

nic cage

Thats my point !

what? nic is the only millionaire collecting comics?

Isn't he SELLING, and not BUYING, comics?

I thought he sold his stuff off because of Priscilla Presley and now that they are divorced he is collecting again. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

His mother-in-law? poke2.gif

27_laughing.gif My bad. Lisa Marie.

A thought that occured after reading this thread. Never knew the action 1 had "church" written on it. Which doesn't downgrade it from a near mint, appaarently.

Yet if there were a tiny dot of color touch on the cover, barely comprising a fraction of one percent of the ink left on the cover by the name "church" there would be people saying the book should be labelled restored and if the book were submitted to CGC with said color touch as just a book that came from nowhere then I would fully expect the book to come back from CGC as an "apparent fine" instead of an unrestored near mint pedigree. And if offered at auction people would be saying it should bring no more than 50K

I have to agree about "the dentist." (Hope he doesn't mind being called that.) He was very nice to me when I called him and asked for a dealer discount on the Batman #2 he was offering in a CBG ad. This was over twenty years ago. I was seventeen (and a dealer, true enough though the book was for me) and he was both very, very kind to me and gave me the discount.

Marc

He bought a Marvel Mystery 5 from an ad I was running in CBG about 10 (or more?) years ago. When he called to reserve it he gave his name, and my response was "the dentist?" I felt I was in the presence of collecting royalty.

... that was, of course, before I met Adam Strange.

He bought a Marvel Mystery 5 from an ad I was running in CBG about 10 (or more?) years ago. When he called to reserve it he gave his name, and my response was "the dentist?" I felt I was in the presence of collecting royalty.

27_laughing.gif I'm like the scullery boy who steals a uniform from a page!

I met the dentist in baltimore and had a very cordial conversation with him and his son.

I met the dentist in baltimore and had a very cordial conversation with him and his son.

Seems like a bad time to be disrobing pages. poke2.gif

Seems like a bad time to be disrobing pages. poke2.gif

flamed.gif

so to all of you who have met him, does he even discus the friggin book?

or is talking about it of limits? has anyone asked him about getting it gradded etc.?

I would consider gauche to bring it up. He and his collection are a lot more than a single book. Your mileage may vary.

so it's off limits

He doesn't wear a pin that says "Don't ask me about my Church copy of Action 1" so for all I know he can't wait to talk about it. I'm unlikely to be the person to ask about during my first meeting.

so it's off limits

He doesn't wear a pin that says "Don't ask me about my Church copy of Action 1" so for all I know he can't wait to talk about it. I'm unlikely to be the person to ask about during my first meeting.

understandable

I agree. I mean it's his choice to do with it what he pleases. If it were me, I'd feel that I had an obligation to the hobby to let people see it. If nothing else, take one single picture and let the comic world stare at it in awe. But that's just me.

Is this right:

Action #1-23 for 25K

Tec #27 for 85K

Or is it Action #1 for 25K + #2-23 for ?K

Since nobody has answered your question yet, the correct answer is as your have already surmised: Action #1 for $25K and #2 - #23 for ?K. takeit.gif

I guess it was still a hefty sum in those days, but peanuts compared to prices nowadays.

I agree. I mean it's his choice to do with it what he pleases. If it were me, I'd feel that I had an obligation to the hobby to let people see it. If nothing else, take one single picture and let the comic world stare at it in awe. But that's just me.

I see no obligation to display a fragile object worth 1 or 2 million bucks. An item that is one amongst many, many valuable items in a collection that you've spent decades putting together. We're fixated on it, I'm not so sure he is.

I see nothing strange about him not showing his comics. But, its not like he took a vow or anything. Or even that he never will show it either. I hope nobody expects him to bring it to a convention do you? So, in effect, his decision not to show it boils down to him never scanning it and posting it anywhere just to show it off! Big deal. Lots of big books havent been seen since they were bought years ago.

and - - - IT IS NOT RESTORED!!!!! there are just rumors of it!