• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Merry Marching MLJ Thread

311 posts in this topic

It's like looking at a different book! The red is hail.gif sooooo red!

I feel much better about my books since I put sacentaur on ignore. insane.gif

Just for the heck of it, let's annoy Steve......

1514219-bluerib10.jpg1514219-bluerib11.jpg

OOOHHH! Keep annoying, this is fun. All these high grade MLJ's...what could be better......more high grade MLJ's.

Here's a smattering of Jackpots.

Jackpot8Archie1942.jpg

Jackpot9Archie1943.jpg

This one also contains what is actually the first Archie cover appearance. Waaaay before Pep 36 or Archie 1. In fact this came out something like a few days after Pep 22, and the way they put him on this cover (with an image from the story in Pep 22) makes you wonder if they hadn't intended this to be Archie's first appearance, then switches it late in the game..

Jacikpot42ndArchie1stcvrapp1941.jpg

And this one sports a nice Hitler cover.

Jackpot5Archie1stReggie1942.jpg

You know, that Jackpot #4 was actually on the stands in December of 1941, same time as Pep #24. Pep #22 was on the stands in October, a full 2 months earlier.

I had a Jackpot #3 with a 9/26 penciled in arrival date, and have seen a Pep 22 with a 10/18 date. Keep in mind Jackpot was quarterly.

Just an FYI...

You know, that Jackpot #4 was actually on the stands in December of 1941, same time as Pep #24. Pep #22 was on the stands in October, a full 2 months earlier.

I had a Jackpot #3 with a 9/26 penciled in arrival date, and have seen a Pep 22 with a 10/18 date. Keep in mind Jackpot was quarterly.

Just an FYI...

Wow. I was in fact, then, misinformed. I always thought Pep 22 came out in December, same as Jackpot 4. Those arrival dates sure help. It changes your perception of a book, somehow when you know, for instance, that Flash 1 really appeared in 1939 and that Captain American 1 really appeared in 1940.

I will start posting some Top Notchs. I hope not to duplicate previous posts.....jon

1515108-topnotch9.jpg

Hey Centaurman, looks like another "Int" book. Sweet!

I will start posting some Top Notchs. I hope not to duplicate previous posts.....jon

1515108-topnotch9.jpg

Alan- I remember some discussion of "Int", but forget what the buzz was. Please educate me. I purchased this book (gulp) in November 1982 from Gary Dolgoff. Jon

1515108-topnotch9.jpg

I remember some discussion of "Int", but forget what the buzz was. Please educate me. I purchased this book (gulp) in November 1982 from Gary Dolgoff. Jon

Int Books

1515108-topnotch9.jpg

I remember some discussion of "Int", but forget what the buzz was. Please educate me. I purchased this book (gulp) in November 1982 from Gary Dolgoff. Jon

Int Books

thanks!

Well, it IS a Pep 22.

That rufusfirefly can come up with some bluechip items.

STEVE

Hey, sacentaur, you're right. That's my book. I am selling this because I acquired one a few years ago that was only slightly better, and figured I'd hold onto this one a while to let the price mature. But it's EXACTLY the same in the guide. Exactly. It didn't go up in good last year so much as a penny. And I don't need to tell you it's been going up in price because the guiide isn't just off on this book. It isn't just not in the ballpark. Where the guide is on this book. you can't even see the ballpark.

So, yeah, if the guide was correct, the current bid of 600 plus might be the reserve. But I'm sorry, I can't put a reserve on a book that is a third or a quarter of what I could hope to find the book again if and only if I got lucky. In fact the one I got to replace this I had to pay several times guide because there were so many other people willing to do the same. In fact if this sells for only the reserve I will not be coming out ahead according to the guide because the one I replaced it with cost about 500 more and I know it would only get an official grade of about half a grade higher because it too has a detached cover.

I know some people like the guide being off on these books, but I sure do hate having to tell potential buyers the guide is wrong by a factor of 300 to 500 percent. (and even then the overguide sales are depressed because people know the guide prices is much lower)

I hate telling people that because I know that if I were them I would think something is funny -- that either I am lying or someone else is.

Anyway,as fir the brittleness, it's there but in a limited and strange way. The spine is not brittle,. The pages can be read easily without fear of it crumbling. I even put it on the scanner with half the book hanging off, and no worries. If I had to guess I'd say the brittleness seems to come fromfactory chipping in the back half of the book that somehow exposed those page edges to the air. Thus the chips you see in the scan at the top edge. But the rest of the page is not brittle. It's strange. The kind of book that should get some treatment for the pages to keep it strong. I keep books like this packed in charcoal filters, silicone packs and in some cases, salt -- all of which absorb gases to prevent books from getting worse. It seems to work because none have gotten worse that I can see.

If it sells for the reserve (a hair under 2K) somebody will get a bargain. If it goes for more then perhaps somebody will be paying closer to its value. I know that no matter what the price of something there will always be some out there will say it should be less, usually the people want to get it for less. And that's understandable. But the truth is there's no way this book is only worth 2K but mid grade copies of higher issue peps are worth half as much. Call up any category of books on ebay and you'll see higher prices achieved for books you know are far less rare and far less important.

BTW, this issue is one of my favorite acquisition stories illustrating how the priorities of some buyers are completely lacking in perspective.

I got this about 13 years ago in a three way deal that essentially made this an even trade for a high grade copy of Spider-man #1) the 1990 edition. The one that had ten million copies printed and sold, with probably 9.9 million of them still in very high grade.

Congrats on the sale! 893applaud-thumb.gif

You did great IMO thumbsup2.gif

[quote

Congrats on the sale! 893applaud-thumb.gif

You did great IMO thumbsup2.gif

Thanks. I think the book s actually worth what it's been selling for lately; it's just hard for that to sink in when people are used to it staying at the same price year after year in the guide. If the prices hold perhaps it will go up past its fictional 1333 listing in good all the way to , I don't nkow, 1335? We'll see. And in the meantime we'll see if my buyer comes through. He is the same one who requested time payments and I memtioned there would have to be a reasonable non-refundable deposit. I've had people ask for time payments to be fully refundable if they cannot come up with all the money and I've had to tell them gently that is not how things work on my planet. This buyer agrees with the non-refundab;e deposit but of course that has to be enough to make sense as well.

So, we'll see.

Thanks for the reply and the additional information!

If you would be willing to post some covers of French MLJ comics, I'd love to see them and I'm sure there would be a lot of interest here. We have a thread devoted to MLJ as well...

Hello, as you invited me regarding French MLJ translation I post here with some comments.

As far as I knwo, there are no french transalation of the MLJ comics of the Golden Age.

But, in 1978 a french publisher named "Aventures et Voyages" but better know as "Mon Journal" (a trademark) begin to publish some episode of The Fly.

In french Mosquito (why not the fly confused.gif)

I have many of this issues but not scan for the moment and I use some image of a web site created by one of my friends.

Some adventures of Mighty Crusaders and others MLJ Characters was published during the same time period.

Sunny19.jpg

Sunny20.jpg

Sunny22.jpg

Sunny34.jpg

Sunny36.jpg

Sunny42.jpg

Sunny44.jpg