• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Merry Marching MLJ Thread

311 posts in this topic

I'm still blinded by the Top Notch 17's glossy,deep rich cover! I've lost all interest in sex and food after seeing that... and my copy's not half bad, but I feel like burning it after seeing the SF copy.

Burn it? 893whatthe.gif

And increase your carbon footprint? 893naughty-thumb.gif

Put it in the recycle bin like I did with mine. thumbsup2.gif

Now that is something worth showing off! That is one of the most beautifull TN's I've seen.

Thanks BH!

Here's another pedigree Top Notch that I think compares very favorably (no little diddy again as I can't think of a song for "Hawkeye"...haha).

100_1163.jpg

STEVE

How did you get so many cherry MLJ's? Did you get on the ground floor for some of these pedigrees!

No ground floors Shawn, but I do have the key to the elevator smirk.gif

Oh yeah, POST MORE! hail.gif

Your wish is my command...more TN's or should we switch things around a bit (like this Allentown Zip)?

100_1065.jpg

STEVE

How did you get so many cherry MLJ's? Did you get on the ground floor for some of these pedigrees!

No ground floors Shawn, but I do have the key to the elevator smirk.gif

Oh yeah, POST MORE! hail.gif

Your wish is my command...more TN's or should we switch things around a bit (like this Allentown Zip)?

100_1065.jpg

STEVE

Your MLJs are hail.gif

I also didn't realize that there are MLJ Allentowns.

Yes, there are a handful - in addition to the Pep 8 and Pep 9 that I already posted (pages 13 and 12 respectively in this thread), there also is Pep 12 and 27 (which I used to own), along with Blue Ribbon 7 and Shield Wizard 2 and 4, Top Notch 5 and 11, and of course the Zip 9.

STEVE

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220052813667

What's everyone think will happen to this book? I don't think I'd be happy with it for anything over the price it's at now. It would be another six hundred bucks to restore the cover and that's only if the pages were decent. There's nothing I hate more than a high grade restored cover and tan pages. Any thoughts?

I do admit that I get a funny feeling in the pit of my stomach when I see one up for auction...even in so low a grade, but then I've passed up some decent copies over the years because I am a stubborn tightwad. I just wouildn't be happy with a brittle book but I'm sure someone will be.

I do admit that I get a funny feeling in the pit of my stomach when I see one up for auction...even in so low a grade, but then I've passed up some decent copies over the years because I am a stubborn tightwad. I just wouildn't be happy with a brittle book but I'm sure someone will be.

I fully agree, BH...it's all about the pages.

Honest seller and good description, so I give him credit.

STEVE

Well, it IS a Pep 22.

That rufusfirefly can come up with some bluechip items.

STEVE

Hey, sacentaur, you're right. That's my book. I am selling this because I acquired one a few years ago that was only slightly better, and figured I'd hold onto this one a while to let the price mature. But it's EXACTLY the same in the guide. Exactly. It didn't go up in good last year so much as a penny. And I don't need to tell you it's been going up in price because the guiide isn't just off on this book. It isn't just not in the ballpark. Where the guide is on this book. you can't even see the ballpark.

So, yeah, if the guide was correct, the current bid of 600 plus might be the reserve. But I'm sorry, I can't put a reserve on a book that is a third or a quarter of what I could hope to find the book again if and only if I got lucky. In fact the one I got to replace this I had to pay several times guide because there were so many other people willing to do the same. In fact if this sells for only the reserve I will not be coming out ahead according to the guide because the one I replaced it with cost about 500 more and I know it would only get an official grade of about half a grade higher because it too has a detached cover.

I know some people like the guide being off on these books, but I sure do hate having to tell potential buyers the guide is wrong by a factor of 300 to 500 percent. (and even then the overguide sales are depressed because people know the guide prices is much lower)

I hate telling people that because I know that if I were them I would think something is funny -- that either I am lying or someone else is.

Anyway,as fir the brittleness, it's there but in a limited and strange way. The spine is not brittle,. The pages can be read easily without fear of it crumbling. I even put it on the scanner with half the book hanging off, and no worries. If I had to guess I'd say the brittleness seems to come fromfactory chipping in the back half of the book that somehow exposed those page edges to the air. Thus the chips you see in the scan at the top edge. But the rest of the page is not brittle. It's strange. The kind of book that should get some treatment for the pages to keep it strong. I keep books like this packed in charcoal filters, silicone packs and in some cases, salt -- all of which absorb gases to prevent books from getting worse. It seems to work because none have gotten worse that I can see.

If it sells for the reserve (a hair under 2K) somebody will get a bargain. If it goes for more then perhaps somebody will be paying closer to its value. I know that no matter what the price of something there will always be some out there will say it should be less, usually the people want to get it for less. And that's understandable. But the truth is there's no way this book is only worth 2K but mid grade copies of higher issue peps are worth half as much. Call up any category of books on ebay and you'll see higher prices achieved for books you know are far less rare and far less important.

BTW, this issue is one of my favorite acquisition stories illustrating how the priorities of some buyers are completely lacking in perspective.

I got this about 13 years ago in a three way deal that essentially made this an even trade for a high grade copy of Spider-man #1) the 1990 edition. The one that had ten million copies printed and sold, with probably 9.9 million of them still in very high grade.

I can't understand why the guide hasn't moved on this book. All of us collectors know this and pay accordingly. What would worry me is someone who isn't knowledgeable, but knows about the guide and gets offered guide by an unscrupulous dealer. That would be a considerable loss for the seller, especially if the book is in decent grade. So as far as ethics go, would anyone feel obligated to inform someone who doesn't know that guide does not pertain to this book? By the way, Rufusfirefly is one of the good, honest sellers on ebay.