• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the most money you have paid for a single comic?

143 posts in this topic

Like someone said earlier...once you break a barrier it gets easier

Yup. When I bought my Hulk 181 for $750, I had to pay in 3 installments. Prior to that purchase, I had never spent more than $250 on a single book.

Once I broke the 1K barrier, I found myself pulling the trigger on $250 books without blinking an eye.

Needless to say....I've never been as broke as I am now.tonofbricks.gif

Back then, I thought it was NUTS to spend over cover on a comic, even when I went back issue hunting, i'd find myself passing up those that was over $3. (spending no more then I do on a monthly comic)

Then I found a book, one day, and put $5 on it, wow that was cool, I thought.

Then 7, then 12, then 20 (ASM 300 was the first) and then my two big purchases, two $40 books.

And so on. However I usually try to buy as many books as I can for a certain amount of money. (usually under $50)

I was in time payments for a CGC 5.0 copy of FF 1 prior to picking up my 3.0, but I eventually had to pass the book on to a friend of mine. There was no way I could absorb the $3500 price tag into my permanent collection.

My next big book will be a copy of Hulk 1 in the 2.5/3.0 range

After that...I hope to drop back below the $100 mark for future purchases. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Just under 8K for an ASM #14 CGC 9.4. It's long gone.

I've never paid more than $300 for a raw book unless you count the 4K Avengers #1 I bought from Comic-Keys. frustrated.gif

Art - 4K

I can't see myself ever spending more than 1-2K on a comic again, but I could go up to 10K for the right piece of art.

A little over 2k for a comic.

I'm surprised....

Didn't you pay more for that FF #55 you bought?

After that...I hope to drop back below the $100 mark for future purchases. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Yeah I wish I could say the same....most of the books on my want-list are now $250+ books, with a couple that are 2K+ even for a low grade crazy.gif

A little over 2k for a comic.

I'm surprised....

Didn't you pay more for that FF #55 you bought?

$2050.00 is what it ended up costing me.

My most expensive comic was about $60 for a VF X-Men 14 with some amateur restoration purchased with some other books from OldGuy. Someday soon I'll take the plunge and break the $100 for copies of X-Men 94 and GS1.

-High Rollin' Bob

With shipping price factored in, the most i've spent on one book was just under $200 US on a ASM #26 CGC 8.0.

Of course, that was just the largest part of a $400+ purchase.

The most I ever spent on a comic was $1700 for Amazing Fantasy #15. I broke the 1K barrier three other times: FF #1, Hulk #1, and Strange Tales #1. The last one of those purchases occurred in 1999. Since then I've had several major purchases that were near or above $500, with the Davis Crippen copy of Venus #1 auctioned by Heritage recently being the purchase closest to the 1 K barrier. Having stopped pursuing superhero keys and avoiding > 8.5 grades has made staying under the 1K barrier much easier.

893scratchchin-thumb.gifI've spent many many thousands for complete collections....but individual books... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

$500 + another $1000 in trade (once)

$2,000 in trade.....(sold it later for $2,300 or so)

$300-$400 many times

I don't recall ever spending over $600 for a comic....but as I sell more, the odds are I'll be spending over $1,000 on a more regular basis.

The books that I'm targeting will cost me more than I really want to spend. makepoint.gif