• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the most money you have paid for a single comic?

143 posts in this topic

Way back in 1980, before Ebay, computers or even cordless phones (ya, I'm a silver-age old guy at 52) I used to buy my comics at about the only place in a fairly large metro area that you could even find them. O'Leary's Comic and Book Shop in Lakewood (south Tacoma) in Washington state was such a place. Rows and rows of long boxes on display of old and older comics with many of the fine or key specimans on display under his glass counters. As I was an Iron Man fan and collector and had many "original owner bought new" IM books, I was amazed at his many Iron Man offerings. In particular, was his Iron Man #2 that was in VF TO NM condition (they graded different in those days too) that I had my eye on but the price....MY GOD, the price.... Is HE kidding?? He wants $18 for this IM #2 that's about 12 years old now?? Oh, it's a nice book alright....and it sure would look GOOD in MY collection....BUT $18?? For a 12 cent comic book...are you #$%!!@ me?? $18? I paced up and down the rows kicking it around in my head....wow, $18 for a single comic book that originally cost 12 cents. And he won't come down any either. It took awhile and probably what did it was that I was going to get some change back for that $20 bill I was getting ready to hand Mr. O'Leary. And, that comic SHOULD maybe go up in value a little bit. O.K. I'm buying.....and I did. I had that book for many years. And everytime I went in to O'Leary's book store and if Ron O'Leary was in there working behind the counter, EVERYTIME I went in there after that and for many years, he'd ALWAYS ask me about my IM #2. "Hey, aren't you the guy that bought that really nice IM #2 from me a few years ago now"? Of course I was. "Hey, anytime you wanna sell that book we'll be here." Turned out I had the book longer than he kept his store as last I heard he packed up his valuable comics, sold the store and it's contents and headed for the sunny climes of Australia, according to Shane of Atomic Comics who used to work for him at the Lakewood store years ago.

While I've spent upwards of $150 for a single comic since the $18 IM #2 I did purchase a NICE Green Lantern lot of 42 books for about $600 awhile back from #10 to about 65 averaging VG/FN condition some higher, none lower. While that's a lot of dough that's a pretty nice run of books to be sitting on as well that will hold their value fine. Anyway, that $18 purchase made more of an impression on me than spending the $600 so I guess IT IS easier the more often you do it!!!

I still recall shelling out $20 for a VG ish Iron Man #1 back around 1978 at Golden Age Collectibles in Seattle.....I still have it...and think I would finally make a profit if I ever decide to sell it...but just barely.

$150 for Amazing Spider-Man #129

I didn't want to have to spend that much for it, but when coverless are going for $20 and crappy 2.0s are going for $40 or more, I though $150 wasn't too bad for a decent copy.

Ah, but what did he sell it for?

Or....do you still have it

After comissions... $189,200 thumbsup2.gif

Takes money to make money! 893whatthe.gif

Not quite the same return as flipping a book for double the price....but a lot to make the $$$ in one fell swoop.

My stomach would be churning if I spent that kind of money. I think I would buy a ferrari instead.. grin.gif

hello all...

I acutally just sold my last Ferrari this year, to fund my detective purchases...so I went the opposite direction (Tec 27's aren't cheap! and with a wife and 4 kids, I have to transfer from one toy to another, can't afford to keep them all) smile.gif

rick

Ah, but what did he sell it for?

Or....do you still have it

After comissions... $189,200

thumbsup2.gif

Takes money to make money! 893whatthe.gif

Not quite the same return as flipping a book for double the price....but a lot to make the $$$ in one fell swoop.

My stomach would be churning if I spent that kind of money. I think I would buy a ferrari instead.. grin.gif

hello all...

I acutally just sold my last Ferrari this year, to fund my detective purchases...so I went the opposite direction (Tec 27's aren't cheap! and with a wife and 4 kids, I have to transfer from one toy to another, can't afford to keep them all) smile.gif

rick What kind? Im looking for an Enzo insane.gif

What kind? Im looking for an Enzo insane.gif

hello all...

my "dream" car is the 1984 288 GTO....have had one opp to buy, but did not have the funds to do it....I can't even get onto the field on an Enzo (though I did stay in a Holiday inn express once)...would have liked to of owned a 512 BB, too, but alas, never found one I really liked...

I have owned (all have been sold) a '79 308 GTB , an '88 Testarossa and my fav of all, 1 of 60 produced 1986 #5 factory sera blue 328 GTS...ahh, the memories...

rick

Hard to tell from the picture, but I was thinking it was a 328. I also have loved the 288 GTO since it came out. [Not that I'll ever own either]

On topic, the most I've spent on a comic was $750 for a sweet 9.0 of ToS #52 (which I've since sold).

Now that I'm getting into GA, I can imagine breaking the 1K barrier very easily. But truth be told, I get more enjoyment out of reading a good comic than owning something expensive.

Biggest purchases - $1300 for JIM #83 (CGC 9.2 SP), about $800 for FC #29 (CGC vg+). However, these were bought when I had money. By far the most expensive book I ever bought was a Captain Marvel JR. #1 I bought in the early 90s for $185, but had no money for rent. This precipitated a series of events that led to the dating of affluent women and the sale of my car (a 1965 Mustang) for dirt cheap to finance my further education. Miss the car, but still have the CM Jr.#1...

Dan

Around $1200 on a hulk 1

Still got it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Nah. Sold off pretty much all of my nice books. I collect nintendo stuff now.... 3k for a nintendo game is my new record for a collectible insane.gif

Cool, what game, if you don't mind my asking? I would like to start a collection of vintage video games, but my main obstacle right now is space. Even my comics are starting to get the evil eye from the wife!

Back on topic: My personal "best" is a little north of $450 for a raw Avengers #1 in about 4.5-5.0. This was in late 2004 and I'll be a long time in topping it!

a few spidy's in the $9-12K range a few years - all were raw from ComicKeys and all came back from CGC as restored. (either trimmed or color touched or both). full refund was given about 18 months after the deals............. 893whatthe.gif

of those that i purchased and kept, i think my Detective 33, All Star 3 and Flash 1 (all restored), were all in the $4-6K range.......................

Ok now that I am back at the office I have better access to my records.

Most expensive book was My New York World's Fair 1939 CGC5.5 which was 5300

My All Star #3 was also well over 3k but that has a large spine split.

I have several books that were in the 2-3k range and at least 20 that were over 1k.

For a single comic, it would be $1,050 for a raw Hulk #1 that I bought a few years ago at a con. It came back from CGC a 2.5 OW.

2006_1009collectibles0150-2.jpg

For a piece of OA, it would be $950 for the cover art to Shogun Warriors #17 by Herb Trimpe.

ShogunWarriors17cvr.jpg