• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are people starting to actually appreciate great golden age comics?

206 posts in this topic

My guess is, that an unrestored Tec #27 5.0 would be worth about $150,000 An AF #15 9.4 would be worth about $90,000

I will buy EVERY CGC 9.4 AF #15 that you can bring to me for $90,000, cash.

Let's make it more interesting, and a little tougher to choose 893scratchchin-thumb.gif......

pick one of these books to purchase (pretending you have real $$ on the line, and assuming you were confident they were both presently valued equally..which I think they would be both be around $100k).

*CGC Graded unrestored AF15 NM 9.4 with off-white pages OR

*unrestored raw Detective 27 in VG/F 5.0 with dark cream pages

Tec 27 baby! All the way!

possibly to your suprise, my answer would also be Tec 27 under 1 condition, which is why I threw in the word "raw" for the Tec, hoping it would make the choice more challenging. I would ONLY choose Batman if a professional conservator such as Susan Cicconi gave the book a very thorough restoration check, and issued one of her restoration summary certificates confirming the book was "clean".

If I did not have that option, and had to rely on the sellers word and my own visual inspection, I would not trust the seller or myself to definatively know that the book had no work done, and then I would then choose the AF15...that's how imortant the CGC blue label would factor into this choice ( for me ). With this type of $$ on the line, I would HAVE to know about restoration.

Let's make it more interesting, and a little tougher to choose 893scratchchin-thumb.gif......

pick one of these books to purchase (pretending you have real $$ on the line, and assuming you were confident they were both presently valued equally..which I think they would be both be around $100k).

The 5.0 Detective # 27 !

I'd take the AF #15 if it had an old label and no shady history.

Interesting that you'd say that, since I believe that it would be far more likely that the hypothetical 5.0 Detective #27 would have achieved significant benefit from a dry clean and press, and maybe even a disassembly and press. It's a lot harder to take apart a silver age book than a golden age book without making a mess of the book at or near the staples, and a low or mid-grade GA book is more likely to receive an upgrade from a dry clean and press than an already high grade silver age book.

And with that, I think I owe Steve an apology for discussing pressing in this thread. For the record, I'd take an AF#15 in NM 9.4 over the Detective #27 any day, purely from an economic standpoint.

My guess is, that an unrestored Tec #27 5.0 would be worth about $150,000 An AF #15 9.4 would be worth about $90,000

Not based on past sales histories. confused-smiley-013.gif

I haven't checked on past sales history, it was just a guess. Tec #27 is highly sought after, and since Mark Zaid got $200,000 for his 4.0 Action #1 I figure a Tec #27 5.0 would be worth $150,000 to the right buyer.

Based on past sales, a Detective #27 in 5.0 is probably worth around $100,000 (maybe $125,000 if you had the "right buyer," but that's really pushing it), and an AF#15 in true NM 9.4 (unlike the 9.2-in-a-9.4-holder White Mountain copy which sold for $150K in 2004 and then $126K in 2005) would sell for $150,000 or so, maybe a little more. I know Mark Wilson had his CGC 9.4 copy priced at $165,000 a couple of years ago and he doesn't have it listed on his site anymore.

Ok. I'll still take the Tec #27

Im confused how this original choice:

came to turn on whether the Tec was restored or not! Your given stated "unrestored raw Tec 27". If this was all about trusting the raw book to be unrestored, then its a decision based on trust in CGC and NOT as it originally appeared: a simple head to head of 2 great books in different grades to equal out their values.

So which is it?

Will someone please toss out the AF#15 that made it's way into this G.A. thread?

Stephen

Thank you.

Where this thread has gone is a symptom of the same disease I am talking about. Quite depressing.

Stephen

action43.jpg

There. Now we're back on track.

Here's why I collect golden age: a great Alex Schomberg cover that has nothing to do with the inside story, a 10 page classic Bill Everett Sub-Mariner story, and the first Simon and Kirby Vision!It been restored and its been cracked, but I could care less. It's still magic to me. cloud9.gifI wish that Timely's were cheaper so I could afford more!

mm13cracked.jpg

MM13back.jpg

Watching there boards over the last few months, I see the beginning of a rather disturbing trend.

Talk about staple placement, pressing, bindery tears and spine rolls is on a decline. And is being replaced by talk about how great these books really are. STOP IT!

Stephen

Steve,

I just went to the beginning of this thread to see your intial post ( above ). You can do what you want and communicate how you wish, but these people you are yelling "STOP IT" to...aren't they your own customers expressing their thoughts on various topics, as is their right to do?

I can't imagine a disrespectful blast like this is good for business..#1 dealer in the world or not. This does not exactly motivate me to go on your website or call you to see what you have for sale. I'm all for the idea of a thread that focuses on the positives...like how great GA books are, but I don't believe you get positive results by starting with an extreme negative..........I'm done ranting now.

Im confused how this original choice:

came to turn on whether the Tec was restored or not! Your given stated "unrestored raw Tec 27". If this was all about trusting the raw book to be unrestored, then its a decision based on trust in CGC and NOT as it originally appeared: a simple head to head of 2 great books in different grades to equal out their values.

So which is it?

This is the last statement, that I will make about these two books.

First of all, the tec #27 would have to be an Unrestored 5.0. If you read all of the posts, you will see, that the Tec has been downgraded a few times, to make it more comparable to the AF #15

To anwser your question, I chose the Tec #27, because I have more faith in the first App. of Batman VS the first App. of Spiderman. No offense to Spiderman, I just prefer batman. The Tec #27 would be a keeper, and the AF #15 would be a book, I would sell.

Watching there boards over the last few months, I see the beginning of a rather disturbing trend.

Talk about staple placement, pressing, bindery tears and spine rolls is on a decline. And is being replaced by talk about how great these books really are. STOP IT!

Stephen

Steve,

I just went to the beginning of this thread to see your intial post ( above ). You can do what you want and communicate how you wish, but these people you are yelling "STOP IT" to...aren't they your own customers expressing their thoughts on various topics, as is their right to do?

I can't imagine a disrespectful blast like this is good for business..#1 dealer in the world or not. This does not exactly motivate me to go on your website or call you to see what you have for sale. I'm all for the idea of a thread that focuses on the positives...like how great GA books are, but I don't believe you get positive results by starting with an extreme negative..........I'm done ranting now.

I haven't read anything disrespectful in any of Steve's posts. confused.gif

Stephen

Steve,

I haven't read anything disrespectful in any of Steve's posts. confused.gif

"STOP IT!" ..........like a dad yelling at his kids.

Stephen

Steve,

i thought his statement was more positive than negative. trying to sustain good mojo for GA books.

Stephen

Steve,

i thought his statement was more positive than negative. trying to sustain good mojo for GA books.

I personally took it as a joke. Stephen usually uses sarcasim as humor with his posts. confused-smiley-013.gif

Stephen

Steve,

Yup. That's the way I read it as this thread, while obviously entertaining to some, was looking more like something from the General Forum.

Stephen

Steve,

Yup. That's the way I read it as this thread, while obviously entertaining to some, was looking more like something from the General Forum.

see that...this is just another example of how something can be taken worng due to this inpersonal form of communication ( email ), that's why CGC has provided for us theseacclaim.gifhail.gifwink.gifthumbsup2.gif: 893applaud-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif. 893blahblah.gif..look at how differently these 2 versions of the same words come across:

1. STOP IT !

2. STOP IT ! makepoint.giftongue.gif

If you say the guy is OK, then I will chalk this up to me reading the post as #1, instead of #2 ( from the above example )...all is well