• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which one would you choose ????
2 2

5,844 posts in this topic

fine...I'll never drink vodka and chose again!

(It apparently impairs my reasoning abilities---that Tec 3 looks a 7.5 right about now) tongue.gif

7.5? Wow, that vodka must be 6000 proof! 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

I'm back and I don't feel bad. Pretty wonderful actually. Concerning the possibility of C/P on the Cap 12 and Subby I'm happy with my conclusions and I'm 100% certain there is no C/P here. Until someone proves me wrong, 100% is here to stay. My opponents haven't offered me anything to consider otherwise. Only in a very general way, manipulation or c/p is pervasive everywhere, including Chicagos. I have the White Rose collection catalog from Heritage, and there are so many Chicagos shown and one book has a tear seal and C/P.I wonder if johnnydouble is referring to this one. I'm happy with this as exceptions are to be expected even if it broke my standards a bit. My point is that C/P Chicagos are rare.I am very happy with my findings and if other people don't agree, well that's fine. If you can find more C/P Chicagos, then Filter would be right and I would be wrong.

BTW Masterchef is correct, this catalog shows many Chicago books without the pedigree label, and I own an additional one that's not in the catalog.

Can I add something? I just realized the true context of Masterchef's statement in his earlier post. All I intended to say in the conclusion to my last post is that CGC simply left the pedigree label off the White Rose Chicago books. These Chicago books in the White Rose collection were straight out of brothers' collection, which was assembled long before CGC or internet auctions. So I think Masterchef was referring to more recent manipulated resubs with the pedigree intentionally non-disclosed to hopefully evade past identification. It's possible, there no guarantees.

I'm back and I don't feel bad. Pretty wonderful actually. Concerning the possibility of C/P on the Cap 12 and Subby I'm happy with my conclusions and I'm 100% certain there is no C/P here. Until someone proves me wrong, 100% is here to stay. My opponents haven't offered me anything to consider otherwise. Only in a very general way, manipulation or c/p is pervasive everywhere, including Chicagos. I have the White Rose collection catalog from Heritage, and there are so many Chicagos shown and one book has a tear seal and C/P.I wonder if johnnydouble is referring to this one. I'm happy with this as exceptions are to be expected even if it broke my standards a bit. My point is that C/P Chicagos are rare.I am very happy with my findings and if other people don't agree, well that's fine. If you can find more C/P Chicagos, then Filter would be right and I would be wrong.

BTW Masterchef is correct, this catalog shows many Chicago books without the pedigree label, and I own an additional one that's not in the catalog.

IIRC, the MM 9 from the White Rose collection is the Chicago copy, though not so marked.

Ill take the Action # 1 to know ones surprise!

Just a note. The Nick Cage Action # 1[seen above] is one of the richest color cover Action # 1s I have ever seen. Notice that the book looks much better than a vg 4.5 and thats because on the Nick cage copy all of the damage[for lack of a better word] is on the back cover. That is what brought it down to a 4.5, even though it has off white to white pages . You can see a scan of the back cover on the Heritage archieves to see what Im talking about.

I agree one of the easier choices

ACTION 1 is the grail of all grails. I would take it in a second.

of course I do already have a decent copy of All Star # 3 looks vert nice but has a split from staple to staple

I'm surprised everyone thought this one was so easy, although I did think most people would probably choose the Action 1.

The All Star 3 actually sold for almost $50,000 more through Heritage than the Action 1 did. Making it seem like several years ago most people would've chosen the All Star 3. It really is amazing to me how quickly things can change in this hobby.

<<That's what we've been saying all along.>>

All I said in my last post is that anything is possible.I know now that I should have been more specific in my last post.

The phrase "anything is possible" as you and I each use it, has different frames of reference here. And that's all. When you use it, you're saying that whenever the opportunity for profit arises it (manipulation) will or probably will happen and its quite common, as seen in the transparency of the auctions. It's the way it is these days.True, there are people whose sole interest is manipulation for profit.

When I say anything is possible I'm only using it very sparingly when applied to Chicagos or hi-grade GA in general. What I'm saying is that the majority of these books are in the hands of collectors who just love the books, with no plans to sell.Jon Berk or Sacentaur are excellent examples of this. Also, the point I made at the start is that there are many hi-grade books that are not candidates for improvement or manipulation.Or books that fall into the hi-grade category but with defects are viewed by their owners as beautiful enough as is.These are collectors in the truest sense. It's a fine quality in a collector. These books generally stay in high grade collections. Jon Berk's Mile High National run he sold is a good example. A run of books bought intact, enjoyed in his collection on their own merits, sold sold intact. That's respect for the books on Jon's part. Recent manipulation is "posssible" as I use it in my frame of reference, but I want to think it's unlikely. The quality of such books I think attract quality collectors.