• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which one would you choose ????
2 2

5,844 posts in this topic

Given the fact I believe there are at least 30 copies of AF 15 in similar grade not even slabbed, it is my contention that they while being a super key, and my second favorite character all time are not scarce even in 9.4 or higher. However there most likely are not many copies of Marvel Comics #1 in lets say 8.5 or higher in left, reguardless of reprint status. I personally know of 3 AF 15's in my little town owned by guys who will never grade them which I would easily give a 9.4 or better, hell they might be a good press'n from a 9.6 or 9.8. I have seen two of them, and they are news stand fresh and minty. So my long winded answer is MC #1 hands down a much bigger key for me, sides 25 to 35K should get you a 8.5 spidey first appearance, but a 9.4 MC #1 who knows what that would bring. So apples to apples boys!

You should seriously either try and buy a copy from one of these guys, maybe throw $50K their way and see if they bite or get them to press and submit. A 9.8 copy would fetch some serious dollars, enough to buy both copies just shown and have some change left over for ice cream. cloud9.gif

Oh, they know what they are worth, they just don't have any intention of selling at the moment. Anyway, my comment is more to the availability and actuall scarcity of AF 15 as compared to MC #1. There are I believe many many unknown copies of Silver age high grade stuffed away in perminant collections. When some of those collections come out in about 10 to 20 years we will see this. Just like we did with GA from the late 80's through the 90's, and the big difference being the amount of collectors in the mid sixties hording these books as opposed to the many GA being collected in the war time paper drives.

Paul

1. Last name is Parker

something gnawed at me all nite long about your contention that the name commonality is one of the reasons i'm pro-spidey----then it hit me; i FINALLY understand your fervent love for the boy wonder.

Billy,

While I certainly am down with the fact that Ciorac loves Robin (His favorite character, I'm convinced). But you have confused me with this last statement.

Please tell me, WHAT IS THE CONNECTION?

i'm not a d.c. guy, but isn't robin's real name "?"

Yep, rumor is that Stan used as the genesis for his idea for Peter! So, I guess we both like the same thing! Growl Tiger!!!

Parker loves Peter!! NOW THAT IS CLASSIC!! It is like an infinity cover, yet no pictures....

Parker loves Peter, Peter is Parker, Parker is Parker, Parker loves peter....it just goes on and on!

Gotta hand it to Stan and Marvel, it only took them 23 years from their first superhero (1939) to one that has some staying power and worldwide appeal!! (1962) Odd how DC got it back to back in '38 and '39. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Gotta hand it to Stan and Marvel, it only took them 23 years from their first superhero (1939) to one that has some staying power and worldwide appeal!! (1962) Odd how DC got it back to back in '38 and '39. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Captain America & The Human Torch confused-smiley-013.gif

1. Last name is Parker

something gnawed at me all nite long about your contention that the name commonality is one of the reasons i'm pro-spidey----then it hit me; i FINALLY understand your fervent love for the boy wonder.

Billy,

While I certainly am down with the fact that Ciorac loves Robin (His favorite character, I'm convinced). But you have confused me with this last statement.

Please tell me, WHAT IS THE CONNECTION?

i'm not a d.c. guy, but isn't robin's real name "?"

sign-funnypost.gif893applaud-thumb.gif funniest post in a long time! 893applaud-thumb.gifsign-funnypost.gif

spock.jpg

Like those characters have captured the imagination of the world over the last six decades! Torch is gaining some popularity with the FF movies, but where was he since his inception? In terms of global appeal, you have Batman, Superman and Spiderman.

Hulk, FF, etc are window dressing to the big three.

Like those characters have captured the imagination of the world over the last six decades! Torch is gaining some popularity with the FF movies, but where was he since his inception? In terms of global appeal, you have Batman, Superman and Spiderman.

What has DC come up with since 1939? confused-smiley-013.gif

Adam Strange sumo.gif

And Sugar and Spike cloud9.gif

Edited by adamstrange

Black lightning, Firestorm, Booster Gold just to name a few! In perspective this is a very funny post, because there are another 20 I could put right in with the above. 27_laughing.gif

not according to worldwide boxoffice; the mediocre x3 movie was way more successful worldwide than a real good superman flick and a GREAT batman flick [xmen 459 mil, sup 391 and bat 371].

Edited by Billy Parker

not according to worldwide boxoffice; the mediocre x3 movie was way more successful worldwide than a real good superman flick and a GREAT batman flick [xmen 459 mil, sup 391 and bat 371].

Good point, but that is all recent. We are talking about sustained popularity over decades worldwide. X-Men et al, don't have that track record like the big three.

Batman made money on the small and large screens in the 60's, Supes in the 50's and 70's, Batman again in 80's, 90's and 00's. Heck even the Fleisher cartoons of the 40's made money. Batman the animated series movies and tv cartoons have been very successful. The big cartoons now that feature superheroes are DC, etc.

Adjusted for inflation Batman 1 made $414,241,400, Superman 1 made $377,416,500. Supes 2 made money, the subsequent Bat movies made money (even though most of them were bad). Add up the gross of all the Bat and Supes movies ever made and I think you will see what I am talking about.

It is not just about ticket sales. The last two Pirates movies were boring to the point of being excruciating, but they have grossed a bunch of money.

Good point, but that is all recent. We are talking about sustained popularity over decades worlwide. X-Men et al, don't have that track record like the big three.

Batman made money on the small and large screens in the 60's, Supes in the 50's and 70's, Batman again in 80's, 90's and 00's. Heck even the Fleisher cartoons of the 40's made money. Batman the animated series movies and tv cartoons have been very successful. The big cartoons now that feature superheroes are DC, etc.

Adjusted for inflation Batman 1 made $414,241,400, Superman 1 made $377,416,500. Supes 2 made money, the subsequent Bat movies made money (even though most of them were bad). Add up the gross of all the Bat and Supes movies ever made and I think you will see what I am talking about.

It is not just about ticket sales. The last two Pirates movies were boring to the point of being excruciating, but they have grossed a bunch of money.

Bill, I am glad you mentioned "boring to the point of excrutiating".

DC created Dodo & the frog..... Need more be said? cloud9.gif

after having just finished reading (with my little dude) 78 of the 79 issues (still need a derned 34), I concur!

gator

Good point, but that is all recent. We are talking about sustained popularity over decades worlwide. X-Men et al, don't have that track record like the big three.

Bill, I am glad you mentioned "boring to the point of excrutiating".

oops! Sorry Rich, I forgot we are only supposed to talk about how pretty the covers are...... flowerred.gif

Pretty cover on the AF 15.....ooohhhh.....ahhhhh...

Better? angel.gif