• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which one would you choose ????
2 2

5,844 posts in this topic

Giving a company its initials has no value to me. I'm not sure how that adds any value to the book.

Detective Comics is long running because of Batman, not because of the first issue. If it wasn't for Batman, you'd be making the same argument for New Comics #1. Another book that I have a hard time coming up with any real historic significance for.

Detective Comics is long running because of Batman, not because of the first issue. If it wasn't for Batman, you'd be making the same argument for New Comics #1. Another book that I have a hard time coming up with any real historic significance for.

Then how much less exciting and less significant is the 72nd issue if New Comics?

Like I said, the 172nd teaming of Simon and Kirby isn't exactly a reason to value a book 8-10x the issue before it (or 8-10x as much as their first true collaboration and superhero creation in Blue Bolt). You would at least have a semi-valid point if you were arguing for the #73.

It is a Detective #1 that is labeled Extensive Restoration.

But those who have seen it out of the holder feel that it has a very moderate or even slight amount of extensive restoration.

Therefore they think a more accurately descriptive label would be Extensive Moderate Restoration or at the least Slight Extensive Restoration.

I hope this helps clarify.

What would be so difficult about having a numeric scale?

It relies on counting. Getting people to agree on counting is a very difficult thing.

I'm getting scared even metioning it. :eek:

Give yourself more credit. You are quite adept at counting between 8.5 and 9.4 (thumbs u

This is actually a very good point and one which I completely fail to understand when it comes to adopting a 10-point restoration rating system for restored books.

Over the years we have seen the hobby moved away from the 3 category grading system (Good/Fine/Mint) into the full 10-point CGC grading system. Everybody stated how this was a boon to the hobby and the marketplace as it facilitated greater integrity and consistency when it came to grading standards. As a result, more collectors entered the marketplace and prices shot up as a result.

When CGC tried to introduced a numerical restoration rating system to replace the current 3 category resto rating system (Slight/Moderate/Extensive), there was all sorts of furor within the industry and on the boards here. It was claimed that such a numerical system was misleading, fraudulent, lead to total confusion, and would only facilitate scam artists to flourish within the hobby.

I totally fail to understand how the 10-point CGC grading system can be such a boon by introducing independent grading transparency to the marketplace, while a 10-point restoration system would only introduce total confusion and misleading information into the marketplace. :screwy:

Then how much less exciting and less significant is the 72nd issue if New Comics?

Like I said, the 172nd teaming of Simon and Kirby isn't exactly a reason to value a book 8-10x the issue before it (or 8-10x as much as their first true collaboration and superhero creation in Blue Bolt). You would at least have a semi-valid point if you were arguing for the #73.

You're setting up a straw man. I never said Adventure 72 was important. In fact, I implied it wasn't.

My argument is that Tec 1 isn't "all that".

There's no way you could get me to pay that kind of $$$ for an adventure 72, but if I was forced to pick between those two, I'd probably defer to the dreamy Burnley cover. At least that's how I feel about it today. I reserve the right to change my opinion.

It is a Detective #1 that is labeled Extensive Restoration.

But those who have seen it out of the holder feel that it has a very moderate or even slight amount of extensive restoration.

Therefore they think a more accurately descriptive label would be Extensive Moderate Restoration or at the least Slight Extensive Restoration.

I hope this helps clarify.

What would be so difficult about having a numeric scale?

It relies on counting. Getting people to agree on counting is a very difficult thing.

I'm getting scared even metioning it. :eek:

Give yourself more credit. You are quite adept at counting between 8.5 and 9.4 (thumbs u

This is actually a very good point and one which I completely fail to understand when it comes to adopting a 10-point restoration rating system for restored books.

Over the years we have seen the hobby moved away from the 3 category grading system (Good/Fine/Mint) into the full 10-point CGC grading system. Everybody stated how this was a boon to the hobby and the marketplace as it facilitated greater integrity and consistency when it came to grading standards. As a result, more collectors entered the marketplace and prices shot up as a result.

When CGC tried to introduced a numerical restoration rating system to replace the current 3 category resto rating system (Slight/Moderate/Extensive), there was all sorts of furor within the industry and on the boards here. It was claimed that such a numerical system was misleading, fraudulent, lead to total confusion, and would only facilitate scam artists to flourish within the hobby.

I totally fail to understand how the 10-point CGC grading system can be such a boon by introducing independent grading transparency to the marketplace, while a 10-point restoration system would only introduce total confusion and misleading information into the marketplace. :screwy:

Bless you Lou. You are a fine man. (worship)

slight 1 ..a single restorative procedure or cleaned

slight 2...a few restorative procedures (couple spots of c/t, etc)

slight/mod 3 (bindary chip fill, etc)

mod 4

mod 5

mod 6

mod/ext 7

ext 8 (piece replacement, etc)

ext 9 (heavy piece replacement, etc)

ext 10 (franken book)

mod 4

mod 5

mod 6

mod/ext 7

ext 10 (franken book)

works for me!

mod 4

mod 5

mod 6

mod/ext 7

ext 10 (franken book)

Done. And I am sure you would be happy to provide examples to them for demonstration purposes. On loan of course.

mod 4

mod 5

mod 6

mod/ext 7

ext 10 (franken book)

Done. And I am sure you would be happy to provide examples to them for demonstration purposes. On loan of course.

Hey Bill,

if this scale existed now ( God forbid ), where do you think your previous Tec 1 would have placed?

mod 4

mod 5

mod 6

mod/ext 7

ext 10 (franken book)

Hey Bill,

if this scale existed now ( God forbid ), where do you think your previous Tec 1 would have placed?

mod/ext 7?

mod 4

mod 5

mod 6

mod/ext 7

ext 10 (franken book)

I bet a fairly accurate system could be determined/established...

'Tec 1 for me also as that is just such a key and iconic book. (thumbs u

In addition, I consider the Adventure #72 to be one of the most over-rated and overvalued DC GA books out there. Imagine a book like that guiding for $19K.

Now if it was a Adventure #73, that would be much more of a competition as I just love that classic Manhunter cover and also a very very HTF book. :cloud9:

you mean??????????????? This Book??

adventurecomics73fpcgc.jpg

It's funny but No one has put in a serious inquiry about the Adv 73 since I obtained it.

mod 4

mod 5

mod 6

mod/ext 7

ext 10 (franken book)

Hey Bill,

mod/ext 7?

'Tec 1 for me also as that is just such a key and iconic book. (thumbs u

In addition, I consider the Adventure #72 to be one of the most over-rated and overvalued DC GA books out there. Imagine a book like that guiding for $19K.

Now if it was a Adventure #73, that would be much more of a competition as I just love that classic Manhunter cover and also a very very HTF book. :cloud9:

you mean??????????????? This Book??

adventurecomics73fpcgc.jpg

It's funny but No one has put in a serious inquiry about the Adv 73 since I obtained it.

I would, it is a great book, but expensive.

I thought the issue wasn't that they were going to implement a ten point restoration system, but they were going to implement it and also start a comic book restoration service at the same time.

I've been wanting to say this for a long time. Amazing Man #5 does absolutely nothing for me, whereas Cap #1 has everything going for it. There are a few other issues of Amazing Man that have some nice covers, that I would prefer to own over issue 5, even though it's a key.

I agree completely. Biting an eel? Really? Cap #1 for me definately.

tec 1 easy...I got to examine that book first hand, preslabbing...and here is a perfect example where "ext" is not a true appraisal of the book...it is a magnificant copy, and could have just as easily been moderate designated... and, it looks so nice for the money!

With that argument I have to take the 'Tec 1.

I'll tell you one thing, if that was an unrestored copy of Detective #1 that looked that nice, it'd be a pretty cool book to have. I have to admit that the cover is close to being iconic, at least for hardcore GA collectors.

just for a different perspective (I love restored books, so I don't "get it" with the negativity to them), why is it any less cool that is has some restoration?

I'll tell you one thing, if that was an unrestored copy of Detective #1 that looked that nice, it'd be a pretty cool book to have. I have to admit that the cover is close to being iconic, at least for hardcore GA collectors.

just for a different perspective (I love restored books, so I don't "get it" with the negativity to them), why is it any less cool that is has some restoration?

To me the resto on this book just makes it affordable.It looks great ,wont fall apart.and did I mention its affordable.

Dennis