• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which one would you choose ????
2 2

5,844 posts in this topic

here are a couple of original thoughts i had:

Ultimately the market will determine how we look at restored books. As more collectors starving for key rare books compete for them, restored prices will rise. At least this is my opinion, now of course we have seen segments do this already where restored books bring 2X urestored guide. On common books, restoration will be a much larger hit to value, as these books can be had with out restoration still for a reasonable price. I think for mega keys, like Action 1, Tec 27-38, Superman 1, and even more common books like Batman 1, Captain America 1 prices will grow even in restored grades and have already. Many silver collectors young with passion for the hobby and smaller pocket books will join into the race and love of the hunt and take restored copies of these as they can be had at much less than the untouched counter parts. At that point, the supply vs. demand will drive these prices up.

This will also happen to the long term more fiscally stable collector, they I believe will start accepting books with SP, just to aquire the book. Otherwise they may never own the book, and this again will drive those types of books higher, and higher. Restoration brings into it many feelings, most brought on by non-disclosure. Many after 2000 with the inception of CGC were hurt extensively when suddenly finding out the books they had purchased had indeed been worked on when previously they had though otherwise. At that point many of the perceptions of "restoration as negative" formed, and just now we are seeing some of those challanged. With out restoration we would have many less copies available,and prices would be much higher. With out restoration the future of these books would also be in question, it is and will be a part of the hobby.

I don't begrudge a collector collecting only unrestored books, but I don't see a restored book as a pariah either. I would of course like to have a fully unrestored collection, but I can't afford to buy 50K+ and still live they way I would like to live. I also might only buy one or two books a year if that was the case. When I see a collector here on the boards post a raw treasure such as a Superman 1, or early Tec, or any other fantastic book I don't automatically think...Is that restored? I actually find it rude to ask, if its not being offered for sale. I have found myself asking that question before, its rude and I have tried to refrain...does it make the book any less? No, it doesn't..that person worked hard to find and or afford the book. My point is, we have become trained in a way of thinking negative to restoration and we need to stop, take a step back and enjoy the book. After all thats why we are here, and why we collect..right??? We love funny books, all kinds. Sure some are more amazing, some are classic, some are just classic and amazing to that one person. The significance of a book is in the eye of the collector who owns or is persuing that particular book.

Just my 2 cents!

and

assuming an increase in demand for the very keyest of GA keys (which is not a sure bet) I think demand for restored copies will increase in ten years as the demans will force buyers to accomodate a little resto to get the books they desire. This line of thinking ties in with the overall future of our hobby as it matures, and , along with other paper collectibles faces the unavoidable reality of the finite lifespan of cheap paper. DDay will be approaching decades from now, and a totally unrestored and undecomposing comic book from 1939 might be a physical impossibility.

or maybe not for 100 years (Im not a scientist...) and by then, when we are starving and drowning and trying to survive a nuclear war who's gonna care???

(thought Id end on a cheerful note!)

Ultimately the market will determine how we look at restored books. As more collectors starving for key rare books compete for them, restored prices will rise. At least this is my opinion, now of course we have seen segments do this already where restored books bring 2X urestored guide. On common books, restoration will be a much larger hit to value, as these books can be had with out restoration still for a reasonable price. I think for mega keys, like Action 1, Tec 27-38, Superman 1, and even more common books like Batman 1, Captain America 1 prices will grow even in restored grades and have already. Many silver collectors young with passion for the hobby and smaller pocket books will join into the race and love of the hunt and take restored copies of these as they can be had at much less than the untouched counter parts. At that point, the supply vs. demand will drive these prices up.

This will also happen to the long term more fiscally stable collector, they I believe will start accepting books with SP, just to aquire the book. Otherwise they may never own the book, and this again will drive those types of books higher, and higher. Restoration brings into it many feelings, most brought on by non-disclosure. Many after 2000 with the inception of CGC were hurt extensively when suddenly finding out the books they had purchased had indeed been worked on when previously they had though otherwise. At that point many of the perceptions of "restoration as negative" formed, and just now we are seeing some of those challanged. With out restoration we would have many less copies available,and prices would be much higher. With out restoration the future of these books would also be in question, it is and will be a part of the hobby.

I don't begrudge a collector collecting only unrestored books, but I don't see a restored book as a pariah either. I would of course like to have a fully unrestored collection, but I can't afford to buy 50K+ and still live they way I would like to live. I also might only buy one or two books a year if that was the case. When I see a collector here on the boards post a raw treasure such as a Superman 1, or early Tec, or any other fantastic book I don't automatically think...Is that restored? I actually find it rude to ask, if its not being offered for sale. I have found myself asking that question before, its rude and I have tried to refrain...does it make the book any less? No, it doesn't..that person worked hard to find and or afford the book. My point is, we have become trained in a way of thinking negative to restoration and we need to stop, take a step back and enjoy the book. After all thats why we are here, and why we collect..right??? We love funny books, all kinds. Sure some are more amazing, some are classic, some are just classic and amazing to that one person. The significance of a book is in the eye of the collector who owns or is persuing that particular book.

Just my 2 cents!

and

assuming an increase in demand for the very keyest of GA keys (which is not a sure bet) I think demand for restored copies will increase in ten years as the demans will force buyers to accomodate a little resto to get the books they desire. This line of thinking ties in with the overall future of our hobby as it matures, and , along with other paper collectibles faces the unavoidable reality of the finite lifespan of cheap paper. DDay will be approaching decades from now, and a totally unrestored and undecomposing comic book from 1939 might be a physical impossibility.

or maybe not for 100 years (Im not a scientist...) and by then, when we are starving and drowning and trying to survive a nuclear war who's gonna care???

:signfunny:

On a positive note, because most collectors are now educated in terms of proper storing of comic books, they may well survive another 100 years if kept in stasis. Particularly those books which have survived well already. We can probably thank Edgar Church in a large way for his fortunate choice of where to stack his comics.

Just my 2 cents!

and

:signfunny: had me going till it sounded TOO familiar!

Marvel Mystery, easy choice for me!!!! :cloud9:

Marvel Mystery is so rare that another copy probably wouldn't become available.

The Four Color I could find in various grades if I wanted a copy. lol

Also the Marvel Mystery is the first Marvel Annual, and I love Marvel Annuals!!! :headbang:

Marvel Mystery, easy choice for me!!!! :cloud9:

Marvel Mystery is so rare that another copy probably wouldn't become available.

The Four Color I could find in various grades if I wanted a copy. lol

Also the Marvel Mystery is the first Marvel Annual, and I love Marvel Annuals!!! :headbang:

What he said. Except for loving the Marvel Annuals thing.

Edited by seank

Once again I am going to go with the Duck book :)

As much as I would like the MMC Annual, I think Walt Disney would roll over in his freezer if I picked it over that 9.4 gem. Especially since I just became a member of his private Club 33 in Disneyland :grin:

:golfclap:(worship):banana:

Once again I am going to go with the Duck book :)

As much as I would like the MMC Annual, I think Walt Disney would roll over in his freezer if I picked it over that 9.4 gem. Especially since I just became a member of his private Club 33 in Disneyland :grin:

:golfclap:(worship):banana:

;)