• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which one would you choose ????
2 2

5,844 posts in this topic

Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1

It's a key, the Pay Copy & scarce. The Suspense is just a cover.

(thumbs u

Yep even though the Suspense is on my all-time greatest cover list, I'd go with MPFW #1.

When I buy a "BIG" book, I want to be able to show it off a little, you know? Those old Supes and Bats covers never fail to impress. So, for me, which of these two do I think possesses the most "wow!" factor? Suspense, hands down.

I apologize if this may seem ignorant (as it very well might be) but I really don't see how this could be much of a competition.

MPFW #1 (the Pay-copy no less) is the first printed appearence of a Marvel character, is it not? And while Subby is not nearly as popular as Spiderman or even Captain America, he is a very significant character in the history of superhero comics.

It's a bit of a bummer that there is no Subby on the cover and you're forced to look at a book that appears (when judging it by it's cover) to be the definition of a "funny book" but even so, what is so special about Suspense Comics #3?

It's a classic cover, I'll give you that, but what about the inside, the entire book itself? Did the stories found inside lay the ground-work for modern-mythology as we know it? Because that's what Sub-Mariner's first appearence meant to the comic-book industry. Not on the same level of Superman mind you, but to be one of the driving foces behind the eventual evoultion of Timely comics is historically significant.

Now I've never read the inside of Suspense #3 so if there is something significant that I'm missing, please feel free to put me in check as it's very possible. But as far as I can tell, you're comparing a book rarer than rare could be, that is the first printed app. of the first Marvel character, a grade higher and a pay copy, to a lower-graded, "D" copy book, that is rare in it's own right with slightly better PQ.

To me, it's not much of a contest but I would honestly be interested in hearing the other side of the argument.

Well, not to put too fine a point on it... I don't give a damn about SubMariner (or most of the rest of the GA Timely output, other than Captain America, for that matter), and I DO collect GGA covers... Suspense #3 any day of the week, and twice on Tuesdays.

If I were spending real money, I would take nether.

MPFW #1 has hands down one of the worst covers ever. Even worse than Hello Pal #1. At 45k, the Suspense #3 is just way too high for a decent cover. For that kind of money, I can think of many other Items I would prefer.

I apologize if this may seem ignorant (as it very well might be) but I really don't see how this could be much of a competition.

MPFW #1 (the Pay-copy no less) is the first printed appearence of a Marvel character, is it not? And while Subby is not nearly as popular as Spiderman or even Captain America, he is a very significant character in the history of superhero comics.

It's a bit of a bummer that there is no Subby on the cover and you're forced to look at a book that appears (when judging it by it's cover) to be the definition of a "funny book" but even so, what is so special about Suspense Comics #3?

It's a classic cover, I'll give you that, but what about the inside, the entire book itself? Did the stories found inside lay the ground-work for modern-mythology as we know it? Because that's what Sub-Mariner's first appearence meant to the comic-book industry. Not on the same level of Superman mind you, but to be one of the driving foces behind the eventual evoultion of Timely comics is historically significant.

Now I've never read the inside of Suspense #3 so if there is something significant that I'm missing, please feel free to put me in check as it's very possible. But as far as I can tell, you're comparing a book rarer than rare could be, that is the first printed app. of the first Marvel character, a grade higher and a pay copy, to a lower-graded, "D" copy book, that is rare in it's own right with slightly better PQ.

To me, it's not much of a contest but I would honestly be interested in hearing the other side of the argument.

seems to me the majority of folks are taking the MPFW, so outside of personal preference, seems the "masses" have spoken (Thumbs u

Not that what you're saying isn't true, but some of just want to buy what we like. Don't get me wrong, I like Sub-Mariner, and I think MPFW is a cool book that I'd love to own. I'd just rather own the Suspense 3.

IMPFW #1 (the Pay-copy no less) is the first printed appearence of a Marvel character, is it not?

It is not. Marvel publisher's Martin Goodman's pulp magazine Kazar #1 from 1936 features the first printed appearance of a Marvel character, I think. The pulp stories which began in this issue are retold in comic book form beginning in Marvel Comics #1, which pretty firmly links him in as a true Marvel character IMO.

kazar_pulp.jpg

As you know, both sold within the past 6 months. The 7.5 @ $657,250, and the 7.0 @ $492,937.........a $164,313 difference. If you could have the 7.5 at the price sold, or the 7.0 at the price sold, plus the $164,313 difference in cash, which one would you choose, and why ????

107106.jpg.10a538999bc70c84690a6626a3b24d81.jpg

107107.jpg.6d86a96b041f4283b19c2d9d6d2abc8e.jpg

107108.jpg.20ed89e3a91c60410e3662422d4cda5a.jpg