• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are you a creator or character collector?

19 posts in this topic

I'm wondering about how people collect. Do you collect the character/s that are in the image or do you collect the artist first, regardless of the subject matter? Myself I collect Green Goblin pieces, and wish to pick up any and all pieces that feature the Goblin (provided I like the rendition of the character). I'd love to pick up a Bagley piece from the Pulse series, but have no interest at all of a Green Goblin piece from Ultimate Spidey. A Goblin piece by Ramos would be of little interest to me as well, as I find his take on the character to be rather dissappointing. How do you collect?

Jim

Creator. Character is only a minor consideration. Of course it's nice to have a page featuring that creator's signature character, but you can't always be picky, especially if you collect work by an artist whose work is scarce or way out of your price range.

Creator for the most part.

Ideally, creator working on a major character and (if possible) on his own creation. So, while I'd love a Mark Schultz cover, I'd REALLY love a Mark Schultz' Xenozoic Tales cover.

I'd also love to have the thousands of dollars I'd need for such a cover.

Mainly a creator based collector ...

But the other thing that makes me want to pick up a piece of art is when it is from a story that I particularly enjoyed.

Now if it's a story I liked by a creator I like? 893applaud-thumb.gif

Looks Like Im one of the few character based collectrs.

I used to purchase by creator but my collection went over the place.

I wanted a focus so now I buy Green Lantern Based art with some branching out

I guess a bit of both. The only artist I really follow is James Jean...though I have a preference for the Fables art. I love just about everything he does, but can't afford everything...so try to focus on Fables.

"Series" would be a good answer as well, as I focus on Fables artwork...but the pages I buy are either aesthetically pleasing or significant to the story...or a combination of both.

Just being a Fables page isn't enough. I have to like the artist...and if I don't like the artist, I better LOVE the story. I'm not a fan of David Hahn's work, and Jack is not one of my favorite characters...so if I never own a page from those two issues, that's cool with me. If I don't enjoy looking at it, why own it?

OK, I may be straying off-topic a bit...sorry, it's way past my bedtime.

So far I am both ...

Picking up some neat Justice League pages but I do have a list of artists I want stuff from.

My collection also contains a few "bargain" pages that I scoped off of eBay for $0.99 to $9.99 ... "But honey, it was on sale!"

Uberman X

I tend to favor Batman, Hulk and Spider-man (in that order) above other characters, but it's important who drew it and what the image consists of. I prefer to be artist driven, as I will never buy just any Batman art for the sake of having it.....I also think it's important to buy what the artist is famous for.....Like McFarlane ASM, Aparo Batman, Adams Batman, Cockrum X Men, etc.....I wouldn't buy a Kirby New Gods piece just to have a Kirby piece.......

I think artist is generally going to be the most important factor....

I'm wondering about how people collect. Do you collect the character/s that are in the image or do you collect the artist first, regardless of the subject matter? Myself I collect Green Goblin pieces, and wish to pick up any and all pieces that feature the Goblin (provided I like the rendition of the character). I'd love to pick up a Bagley piece from the Pulse series, but have no interest at all of a Green Goblin piece from Ultimate Spidey. A Goblin piece by Ramos would be of little interest to me as well, as I find his take on the character to be rather dissappointing. How do you collect?

Jim

My collecting aims are a bit muddled!

For characters, I'm heavily into the 1950/60s (UK) strip, DAN DARE, PILOT OF THE FUTURE, particularly as illustrated by its creator, Frank Hampson. So, as such, there's a combination of character & creator influencing my interests, here (the original art, for this strip, exists as fully-colored originals - so what you're seeing underneath is the original art, not a colored stat) . . .

471x7ko.jpg

I'm also heavily into EC art (Entertaining Comics), which is a combination of short, self-contained story art - with non-continuing characters (other than the 'Ghoulunatic' hosts, in the Horror titles). Here, I'm attracted to the high-quality writing and illustration.

432aqg0.jpg

There's also the 'nostalgic' influence at play - ie, comic-books I read as a kid. If the work strikes a nostalgic chord, I'll collect examples of the original art (first American comic-books I read were the Harvey 'kiddie' titles of the early 1960s, so I like to collect representative cover examples - which can be bought fairly reasonably).

2d7a99l.jpg

Within these interests, I mostly collect cover examples - or self-contained strips.

Also, I tend to gravitate towards pre-1970s art (as, during the 1970s, I served in the British Army and my comic-book interests were put on hold for most of that decade). Towards the end of the 1970s, when I re-kindled my interest in comic-books, I found I'd had my fill of 'Superhero' books - and I widened my horizons to look at other genres. The EC books were one such discovery . . .

I am first and foremost a creator OA collector. That is not to say that the characters and title is not considered heavily. For example, I would like to have a John Buscema and Steve Ditko OA piece one day. But I don't want just any piece that they worked on. Once I know the creator I plan to buy, I search for characters. I don't want just any John Buscema OA piece--I want a piece from Thor. Just as I don't want any Steve Ditko piece, I want one from Amazing Spider-man.

I am a Character Collector first most then artist and era. I love Fantastic Four so most of my collection is based around them with a splash of a couple other characters. I try to get art from the Bronze/ copper age since I grew up in that era. If I ever get the money I would love to get a page of each of the main Marvel characters from that era.

I collect one piece from each artist. The character isn't important quality of the piece and price of the piece is important. I do ocassionally buy multiple pieces of art by the same artist. For example I have 5 ethan van sciver pieces and I will probably buy more if the quality and price are acceptible to be. I also have more than one Jae Lee piece.

Creator. And here's the odd part - I probably buy more art based on the story than on the actual art.

I'm with Keith. I'll collect art from stories and creators I like. Characters are secondary to me. For example, I love the Goon, but I'd only be interested in OA by Eric Powell. At the same time, I also wouldn't be interested in any non-Goon OA by Powell.

There has to be context to the art I buy. It has to remind me of a particularly good story or moment in a comic. Pretty drawings by themselves don't do as much for me.

As usual, there is no right or wrong way to collectthumbsup2.gif