• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

how was 2006 for you as a comics fan?!

44 posts in this topic

My collection has totally changed and im focusing strictly on X-Men. I finally aquired my grail cloud9.gif . I also had the pleasure of making new friends on the boards and also attended my first forum dinner where I had the pleasure of meeting some forumites.

Turning my interests from high grade valueable books to lower grade reader copies. It has changed how I collect for good. Books that still present well, yet I am not scared to open them up and give them a read.

2006 acquisitions in that line:

The Watchmen 1-12

Alex Ross Kingdom Come

Avengers 20-250 readers 4.0-7.0

Xmen 94-300 readers 4.0 - 7.0

ASM 100-200 4.0 - 7.0

Iron Man 50-200

etc.

While my 9.2-9.6 collection is pretty to look at, I just wasn't enjoying comics like I used to.

Artboy99

2006 was good in other ways, but I probably spent less on comics this year than at any time in the past. I think I've finally come around to waiting out the BA pricing fad, rather than just slowing down my buying.

I bought very few books this year. Definitely less than the previous 3 years. However, I'm making up for it in force in the last 6 weeks of the year, though smile.gif

I'm buying more expensive books now on average and am finding it harder and harder to find books on my want list.

Turning my interests from high grade valueable books to lower grade reader copies. It has changed how I collect for good. Books that still present well, yet I am not scared to open them up and give them a read.

While my 9.2-9.6 collection is pretty to look at, I just wasn't enjoying comics like I used to.

Artboy99

Yep, I entirely agree! Though my CGCs are great and I take much pride in their ownership cloud9.gif, I've only recently rediscovered the joy of actually reading comics! I finally caught up on some great Bronze-Age reading from my youth this year: The Human Fly, Omega the Unknown, Red Sonja (and of course, Marvel Feature), Tarzan and even Team America & US1, now those two were great tongue.gif!

I travel via air for business often and usually take along Bronze-Age comic books (or occasionally TPBs) to read during my flights. You be surprized to learn how many other folks I come across in 1st Class are also "closet" comic fans! It's absolutely the best when some suit next to me pipes up to reminse about those "sell flower seeds.." or "earn extra cash and prizes..." ads.

Ah, and that old paper smell too... CLASSIC thumbsup2.gif!

I had a really incredible year of being able to read a lot of amazing old comics, from the 30s to present but especially 1950s DC and Atlas. Same goes for all the great info and jokes on the boards. I never imagined I'd have access to so many great books and so much great info. A wonderful comics year for me and you guys were a big part of it.

Marc

2006 was a strange year for me. I upgraded several books in my Batman run (14, 15, 54, 68). I purchased several Detectives I needed for my run (54, 79, 93, 94, 119, 125, 128, 144, 147, 153, 154, 160, 163, 164, 164, 165, 167, 170, 182, 185, 238, 279, 281, 290, 296, 306). I picked up two long standing want list books (Golden Age Daredevil 2 and Whiz 25). I am also in the final stages of acquiring a grail page of artwork. I have had a few good flame wars on the board with the usual suspects. Met some truly great people that are all about comics and the general love of the books. I have also taken a break from buying while I try to decide what to do. I may switch to original artwork as it doesn't have as much of the problems comics do (but you do have to proceed with extreme caution). I hope 2007 moves in a positive direction for the hobby ...

Best wishes to everyone.

Best highlight - ALL THE SS BOOKS I BOUGHT!!! yay.gif (and I will include a Kudos to a few I bought them from...Thanks again: Chris, Alex, Kevin Boyd, ParadiseComics and Wasonff) thumbsup2.gif

Finally got myself together to start upgrading my x-men run and to start looking at getting those last few i need to finish my set, before i start the old upgrading trip.

Plus also added the concept of putting together a couple of smaller GA runs and SA runs. A challenge indeed, but something that makes collecting all the more worthwhile.

Three highlights for me:

1. My first big con (the one in Charlotte earlier this year). Had a great time, got to meet some fellow forumites, and found some stuff I needed in the bargain bins.

2. Bought a great set of early reader FF's from a guy in Canada at a fantastic price. Thanks again to mattbird for the referral!!

3. Biggest and best highlight happened a couple of days ago. I received, in the mail, (Silver Age) Green Lantern #6, which was THE last GL issue I needed for the complete Silver Age run. grin.gifsmile.gif Whew! Hard to believe I'm done, but the timing is perfect since we're now saving for a down payment on a house. Back on moratorium I go, but I'll have plenty of GL issues to keep me company. grin.gif