• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Questions for CGC and the Liason Committee

926 posts in this topic

Purple is great.

And Purple is manly sumo.gif there........ I said it.

My Camero Z28 is purple. There's nothing wrong with purple sumo.gif

I obviously like purple, but have no desire for restored books, not because of the color of the label, but because they are restored books.

I've sat here reading this discussion and it really cracks me up that there are people who are blaming the color of a restored label on the stigmatizing, devaluing, or otherwise tarnishing of restored books.

Seriously, I would always avoid or pay less for restored books over non-restored books. Now take this line of thinking and multiply it across the marketplace and you have your devaluation of restored books. Doesn't matter what color the label is or if there even is a label as long as it's disclosed. Same end result.

The way it was before, without the purple label, the "end result" was different.

Not just because of the color, but because people could examine the book for themselves and distinguish between them.

That's according to lots of people. And saying it isn't so doesn't change it.

But that aside, if you really BELIEVE -- despite everytrhing to contrary -- that it would not be different, then why not go for a designation that is just as easy to spot and doesn't include a colored label and doesn't leave the situation open for endless debate and disagreement over what does or doesn't deserve the "bad" label

If you believe it wouldn't be different, then .

Personally, I don't really care as long as I can easily spot that the book is restored on the label or if it's a raw book, that the seller discloses it. The end result for me is the same then.

The "bad" label... 27_laughing.gif Maybe if they quit putting 2.0, 1.8, 1.5, 1.0 and .5 labels on low grade books, they will lose their stigmatism too.

I used to be pretty ambivalent about whether CGC kept the purple label. But all the whining these past few months about the color of the label has turned me into a die-hard supporter of the purple label.

I used to be pretty ambivalent about whether CGC kept the purple label. But all the whining these past few months about the color of the label has turned me into a die-hard supporter of the purple label.

27_laughing.gifsign-funnypost.gif

That must be a long time ago, ;cause the only posts I've seen have been just as insulting as this one. From the tone of the posts I've seen I'd've guessed you were one of those guys who sells 9.8 copies of stuff printed yeterday telling customers to stay away from restored junk and put their money into "investment grade" moderns

But apparently that's not the case, so I'd love to see one of the old "ambivalent" posts..

That must be a long time ago, ;cause the only posts I've seen have been just as insulting as this one. From the tone of the posts I've seen I'd've guessed you were one of those guys who sells 9.8 copies of stuff printed yeterday telling customers to stay away from restored junk and put their money into "investment grade" moderns

But apparently that's not the case, so I'd love to see one of the old "ambivalent" posts..

You're doing your 'cause' a real power of good here.... yeahok.gif

You're doing your 'cause' a real power of good here.... yeahok.gif

Maybe it's a cultural thing.

Where I come from (back in the old counttry) people use words like "whiners" when they're insulting you. In fact a lot of words the gentlemen from Hong Kong has used would be considered insulting back home.

I've been to Hong Kong a couple times and never had trouble with being accidentally insulted or accidentally insulting anyone else. But it's been a while so maybe things;'ve changed.

Where I come from (back in the old counttry) people use words like "whiners" when they're insulting you.

I don't know what else to call it. Whingeing?

My point is you've beaten this topic to death with your one-dimensional focus. Any sympathy you might have received from other "undecided voters" has been lost with your unceasing harping. Your accusations of conspiracy by CGC and Steve Borock to suppress the value of restored books has pushed you further to the fringe.

My advice to you, and I mean this most sincerely, is give it a rest. Seriously. This issue will surface again in another year or so (no issues are ever really put to rest permanently on these boards) and you can chime in then. By then, hopefully you'll have established some credibility by showing that you're not just a one-trick pony (or some embittered owner of lots and lots of restored books) and can contribute in other ways to the boards.

Okay, a little clarification that may help.

It wasn't the "old country" where I got my aversion to the word "whiner."

It was in my old profession, as a journalist. Worked for some pretty good outfits and we boiled down how to unravel a story in just a few simple rules.

Number One, which you may have heard, is "follow the money." If something doesn't add up, if problems are created, and you wonder how it got that way or why it stays that way, you find out who profits and you have half your story if not the whole thing.

Two, if the money doesn't lead you there, find out what rules or laws are being bent or adjusted, or applied inconsistently, then find who makes the rules or laws and who bent them. That will get you just about everybody you couldn't find by rule number one.

Three, find out who belittles the people being hurt. And the word that seems to be the most reliably telling is "whiner." Find the guy who uses that to describe those being harmed, or gored, or shorted.,and you will find most of the people you couldn't find with rule number one or two. It may sound like a joke, or something I made up.. But it's actually incredibly reliable, much of the time.

There. Now you don't need to go to J school to become a reporter. You've learned most of what you'd learn in two years at one of the better universities. And you also know why the word "whiner" sends up a red flag for me.

It was in my old profession, as a journalist. Worked for some pretty good outfits and we boiled down how to unravel a story in just a few simple rules.

Number One, which you may have heard, is "follow the money." If something doesn't add up, if problems are created, and you wonder how it got that way or why it stays that way, you find out who profits and you have half your story if not the whole thing.

Two, if the money doesn't lead you there, find out what rules or laws are being bent or adjusted, or applied inconsistently, then find who makes the rules or laws and who bent them. That will get you just about everybody you couldn't find by rule number one.

Three, find out who belittles the people being hurt. And the word that seems to be the most reliably telling is "whiner." Find the guy who uses that to describe those being harmed, or gored, or shorted.,and you will find most of the people you couldn't find with rule number one or two. It may sound like a joke, or something I made up.. But it's actually incredibly reliable, much of the time.

There. Now you don't need to go to J school to become a reporter. You've learned most of what you'd learn in two years at one of the better universities. And you also know why the word "whiner" sends up a red flag for me.

This strategy only works when there is a story to unravel. When there isn't, it's called trying to generate a story that's not there. And that goes against journalistic ethics...

Jim

This strategy only works when there is a story to unravel. When there isn't, it's called trying to generate a story that's not there. And that goes against journalistic ethics...

Jim

W...T... F?

Who was even saying there was a story in the journalistic sense or anyone trying to generate or cover such a story?

BTW, all it takes to jjustify ifvestigating a story is that a journalist observes something that affects and interests people -- and it's even more of a story if there has been a change recently, or there's a controversy with people taking opposing views.

If somebody thought there was interest among their viewers or readers in hearing about this, it would be completely appropriate to investigate it and use the same criteria. And under those conditions, the only people who'd say it's unethical would be the people who just plain don't want the story covered.

And, guess what? Even though I know it would be ethical, I don't want a story about the inanity of the resto, anti-resto argument getting into the press.

As a person with lots of comics he might want or need to sell at some point. I'd be afraid of a story about the real state of comic collecting, because I think it would stand a real good chance of making collectors look silly at best, arguing over whether a piece of glue fell onto a book or was put there, and depending on which is decided, whether it merits a "bad" colored label..

I'd be afraid that any invesitgative report on comics collecting would undermine the confidence of collectors and make readers feel that collectors are jerked around, rules are changed, standards changed, etc. so that collectors rarely make returns on their "investment" even close to what they're promised in a world that compares comics to stocks and bonds, even as they continue to use terms like "wholesale" and "retail" to describe an "investment!" (anybody out there ever made good buying your stocks "retail" and selling them "wholesale.")

I not only don't want to "generate" a story about this, I am afraid one will be generated by someone who's heard about the many "investors" who've been convinced to buy things under one set of rules, only to end up selling for a loss (or a much less than expected profits) when the rules changed. Or when one of the many people connived into buying "near mint" comics (ANY near mint comics) ends up finding out there are millions of near mints just like his and he can't resell them for a fractiopn of what he paid.

Those are the stories that nobody needs to "generate":. They are out there and the hobby is just lucky they aren't being told and they're stories that, as a collector still holding lots of comics, I would prefer not to see.

I would prefer that grading not be confused with mind-reading, that the guide make at least a semblance of an effort at reflecting the real value of things, and that overall there was just a lot more sense and consistency.

I think the hobby could grow better and stronger if there were.

Compared to rare baseball cards, popular modern art, music and movie paraphernalis, comics could be a lot further along than they are, but they're being held back by pockets of weirdness that don't exist in those other fields.

Jim

I guess it all boils down to one question:

Is there a story to unravel?

The "bad" label... 27_laughing.gif Maybe if they quit putting 2.0, 1.8, 1.5, 1.0 and .5 labels on low grade books, they will lose their stigmatism too.
27_laughing.gif

My point is you've beaten this topic to death with your one-dimensional focus.
Agreed. tongue.gif
Any sympathy you might have received from other "undecided voters" has been lost with your unceasing harping. Your accusations of conspiracy by CGC and Steve Borock to suppress the value of restored books has pushed you further to the fringe.

My advice to you, and I mean this most sincerely, is give it a rest.

893applaud-thumb.gif

[quoteYour accusations of conspiracy by CGC and Steve Borock to suppress the value of restored books has pushed you further to the fringe.

My advice to you, and I mean this most sincerely, is give it a rest.

As said before, there were no "accusations." I have said it repeatedly I do not know what was in the mind of Steve or anyone else. . I noted his own quotes on the matter.

if you want people to give a topic a "rest," then it's best not to say something inaccurate., insulting or inflammatory just prior to telling the other party to stop.

So far I have brougt up the topic exactly once. Every other post has been in response to somebody else making their point. Now and then on this board I see somebody saying, essentially, "I'm going to make my point and then after that no more discussion," but your comment begs a response you should expect one.

I wouldn't worry about it. These are the same people who think that their comic collection somehow makes them cool.... insane.gif

It doesn't? 893whatthe.gif

893censored-thumb.gif

Same thing I was thinking FT! 27_laughing.gif

I'm crushed.... confused.gif

I wouldn't worry about it. These are the same people who think that their comic collection somehow makes them cool.... insane.gif

It's not my collection that makes me cool...it's my collection AND my Purple Z28 Camero that makes me cool. 27_laughing.gifstooges.gif