• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Questions for CGC and the Liason Committee

926 posts in this topic

I have a serious question...did the Forum strike criteria and associated suspension change?

Isn't it still at strike #1 you are suspended for a week?

Jim

Only if you're me and you make a quite inoffensive, but slightly amusing, joke.

Then you get slammed for a week.

If, however, you create a shill, use it in a flame war to make an accusation and worsen the situation, then blame the family goldfish...you're cool to stay around. thumbsup2.gif

27_laughing.gif So true thumbsup2.gif

By the way FT, loooove the sig cloud9.gif

I don't even bother reading his posts, I just like his sig line.

Okay I have a question that went ignored on the "Ask CGC" section. The original question was, if a PGX graded book is submitted to CGC, they would grade it given there was a waiver to remove it out of the holder. Would I/we also have to sign a waiver for any damage that might occur during removal? Specially in high grade books.

Harry (burntboy), who was the first alternate, is taking over my spot on the liaison committee. I decided that I did not want to be any part of a group that would have me as a member. acclaim.gif

Harry (burntboy), who was the first alternate, is taking over my spot on the liaison committee. I decided that I did not want to be any part of a group that would have me as a member. acclaim.gif
893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I can now respect you again. wink.gif

I can now respect you again. wink.gif

That's giving him too much credit. tongue.gif

Sorry to hear that Scott. Though, I really don't know what the Liason Committee does anyway, so.... confused-smiley-013.gif

i am still curious about my earlier question:

i have a question about 9.8 to 10.0 grading

i'm wondering how cgc differentiates between what makes a book 9.8 to a 10.0. I assume that books that grade the near mint 9.8 all exhibit some sort of standard manufacturing "flaw" of some sort, whereas the 9.9 and the 10.0 grades do not have that?

i'm just wondering how the people at cgc figure a book is 9.8 and not 9.9 or 10.0

one other question. say i purchase a 9.9 or 10.0 book and crack it open (say of Signature Series). would the mere handling of the book to put it into the bag and board downgrade the book from the "mint"/"gem mint" to "near mint"?

I really don't know what the Liason Committee does anyway, so....

I think the problem is that we elected three very busy guys, and expecting all three of them to be available at the same time every week to participate in a conference call with Steve was probably unrealistic.

I mentioned to Steve that perhaps only one member of the committee, on a revolving basis, should call him each week. There are several unanswered questions in this thread, and it doesn't require 3 committee members to ask them. I know Brian is just starting a 5 week trial. Perhaps Harry or Brad could make the first call?

i am still curious about my earlier question:

i have a question about 9.8 to 10.0 grading

i'm wondering how cgc differentiates between what makes a book 9.8 to a 10.0. I assume that books that grade the near mint 9.8 all exhibit some sort of standard manufacturing "flaw" of some sort, whereas the 9.9 and the 10.0 grades do not have that?

i'm just wondering how the people at cgc figure a book is 9.8 and not 9.9 or 10.0

one other question. say i purchase a 9.9 or 10.0 book and crack it open (say of Signature Series). would the mere handling of the book to put it into the bag and board downgrade the book from the "mint"/"gem mint" to "near mint"?

Get a copy of the Overstreet grading guide in order to answer your first question. CGC does not divulge specifics about their grading, so you aren't going to get a line-by-line explanation of all the possible differences between 10, 9.9, and 9.8.

The answer to your second question is - not necessarily. 10s and 9.9s were handled by at least seven people (and usually more) before encapsulation, so if you're careful, you should be able to remove a book without damaging it. Why you would want to remove a signature series book from its slab is another story.

i'm wondering how cgc differentiates between what makes a book 9.8 to a 10.0.

pressing poke2.gif seriously...the one phrase that continues to echo for me, from CGC, is that the copy has to be the best copy of that issue they've seen. I know from experience I look at a particular book and say.. damn.. that's the nicest one I've ever seen.. now if that book happened to be bordering within the 9.8 area..then if it's the best one I've seen.. I could see that leap to something higher.

i'm wondering how cgc differentiates between what makes a book 9.8 to a 10.0.

pressing poke2.gif seriously...the one phrase that continues to echo for me, from CGC, is that the copy has to be the best copy of that issue they've seen. I know from experience I look at a particular book and say.. damn.. that's the nicest one I've ever seen.. now if that book happened to be bordering within the 9.8 area..then if it's the best one I've seen.. I could see that leap to something higher.

I seriously hope that is not the way CGC bases their grades for a book. Grading is supposed to have be a science and as such be objective in grading. To say a book is the best you've seen moves into the realm of being subjective and a matter of opinion. Yes, it would be a educated and experienced opinion, but still an opinion.

The problem arises as time progresses. Say, they grade a book that's the best the have ever seen and grade it a 10.0. What happens when, a year or two later the come across another book that looks even better than the previous 'best ever'?

11?

confused-smiley-013.gif

Seriously though, I think he was talking about books that are already in the 9.8 stratosphere. And what variables might possibly push it to 10.0. The chance that several books coming along to make that one look like a dog in the slab are pretty remote.

That said, I think an argument could be made eitherway as to why a 9.8 book is, or isn't worthy of that last .2 bump to Gem Mint.

The book better be perfect if it has that on the label if you ask me.

Ze-

Get a copy of the Overstreet grading guide in order to answer your first question. CGC does not divulge specifics about their grading, so you aren't going to get a line-by-line explanation of all the possible differences between 10, 9.9, and 9.8.

The answer to your second question is - not necessarily. 10s and 9.9s were handled by at least seven people (and usually more) before encapsulation, so if you're careful, you should be able to remove a book without damaging it. Why you would want to remove a signature series book from its slab is another story.

sorry, you misunderstood me. I meant if I purchased a 9.9/10.0 book and crack it TO get it SS.

I do own a copy of the Overstreet Grading guide, but the pictures and comments do not give a clear way to differentiate between the 10.0 to 9.8. I've seen tonnes of 9.8's in the slabs, one 10.0 (at a store), so it's hard to judge, especially from the grading guide and their tiny pics.

Thanks for the responses. It's helping me get a slightly better idea of this whole thing

And in response to a comment that was made earlier, I am indeed referring to already nm 9.8 books and am curious to know what 0.2 things made the book that much better.

I'm of the opinion that there must be a sure way to differentiate between a 9.8 and a 10.0. Is there maybe some sort of very common manufacturing/handling process that almost always take the books down frmo being gem mint to 9.8?

The truth is out there

The difference between a 9.8 and a 10.0 is drastic. You cannot compare them. If you said whats the difference between a 9.9 and 10.0 thats a different story.

On a 9.8 you are allowed (not all on the same book but one or a mixture of)

1. A blunted corner(s)

2. Up to 6-7 very small NCB lines

3. Very tiny NCB corner crease

And other very small defects that I have not mentioned.

On a 9.9 or 10.0 NONE of this is allowed.

The difference between a 9.9 and 10.0 might be a fingerprint or a very minor defect or printing defect that you cannt see unless examined extremely closely.

The difference between a 9.8 and a 10.0 is drastic. You cannot compare them. If you said whats the difference between a 9.9 and 10.0 thats a different story.

On a 9.8 you are allowed (not all on the same book but one or a mixture of)

1. A blunted corner(s)

2. Up to 6-7 very small NCB lines

3. Very tiny NCB corner crease

And other very small defects that I have not mentioned.

On a 9.9 or 10.0 NONE of this is allowed.

The difference between a 9.9 and 10.0 might be a fingerprint or a very minor defect or printing defect that you cannt see unless examined extremely closely.

thanks for the reply. those 3 things you mentioned are aspects of the grading that i have noticed on all the 9.8's i have seen. so that confirms my beliefs on that.

i guess the real nitty gritty comes down from having a 9.8 and what makes a book 9.9 or 10.

Not a problem thumbsup2.gif

This is my theory. What makes a 9.9 is an absolute spectacular copy of the book. Virtually no flaws. It might have a minor microscopic flaw or very minor printing defect or it might be a perfect book but what keeps it from being a 10.0 is a misswrap. A 10.0 is just perfect. No flaws, perfect wrap, no finger prints, nothing......

Not a problem thumbsup2.gif

This is my theory. What makes a 9.9 is an absolute spectacular copy of the book. Virtually no flaws. It might have a minor microscopic flaw or very minor printing defect or it might be a perfect book but what keeps it from being a 10.0 is a misswrap. A 10.0 is just perfect. No flaws, perfect wrap, no finger prints, nothing......

It's not a theory, it's obvious fact.

I said that because I am not like some people who think they know it all. I am just trying to help someone. No reason to get on me thumbsup2.gif
I wasn't getting on you, just saying you are stating the obvious that a 10.0 is free of flaws, and that 9.9 has a miniscule flaw that drops it below 10.0. It would follow that additional flaws would drop it to 9.8.

That's called a Grading Scale.