• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your FOUR COLOR Comic Covers Here
15 15

What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread

• choice1
    • choice2

3,809 posts in this topic

Excellent additions.....very nice run you've got going on there Bullet

bullet does it all first class, doesn't he....has anyone checked out his Batman run in the Registry...holy cow, batman!

gator

I was going through some old scans that i had done, but not edited with my original scanner from over 5 years ago and found many of my original Four color books in with the Dells. I cropped and sized and uploaded about 40 yesterday so I should have several available that have not been displayed yet.

fc214.jpg

fc440.jpg

fc473.jpg

I hat to see this thread fall off of page 1 let alone page 2

If you could convince Ruben Blades to start posting here, he could post the entire four color run. I once had the pleasure of hanging out with him at his house in Santa Monica. He had the entire set on a bookcase. It was a blast looking through them all.

Super guy. He used to buy from me regularly and once showed up in my store while on location filming a movie. I wonder if he still collects?

I was going through some old scans that i had done, but not edited with my original scanner from over 5 years ago and found many of my original Four color books in with the Dells. I cropped and sized and uploaded about 40 yesterday so I should have several available that have not been displayed yet.

I hate to see this thread fall off of page 1 let alone page 2

Same here.

I got a dozen Four Colors this week, mostly in about VG, and am suprised that seven of them haven't been posted yet. These aren't knockout copies like most of the ones posted here, but solid, respectable readers.

First three:

FC 243

43507-FC234.jpg

FC 289

Does anyone have a mutilated book with one of these "animated covers" working? Maybe you can post an animated gif!

GCD shows Ralph Heimdahl (Pencils) Ralph Heimdahl (Inks) ? (Colors) ? (Letters)

43508-FC289.jpg

FC 307

Very heavy inks on many of the Warner Brothers covers like 289 and 307. GCD shows Heimdahl again. It's great to see that Alberto Becattini's long-promised data are showing up there.

43509-FC307.jpg

Jack

I got a dozen Four Colors this week, mostly in about VG, and am suprised that seven of them haven't been posted yet. These aren't knockout copies like most of the ones posted here, but solid, respectable readers.

FC 349

There are some great Uncle Wiggily covers in the FC series -- this isn't one of the best.

Does anyone know who drew this? No information (yet) at GCD. It doesn't look like Howard Garis or Walt Kelly (who was gone from the FC series by this time, right?

43510-FC349.jpg

The back cover is probably Garis. I like the artwork better than the front cover. Garis had a great old-fashioned style, even with the "modern" cloud-seeding gag.

43511-FC349b.jpg

Jack

Finally, three photo covers.

FC 921

I wasn't much of a western fan, and wouldn't have been likely to buy this one off the newsstand.

43516-FC921.jpg

FC 1199

I loved the Absent-Minded Professor movies. I was such a nerdy kid! (Who said, "Yeah, now you're not a kid!"?) Does anyone else remember that Flubber was sold as a toy? A translucent, Silly Putty-like polymer than tended to make a mess out of anything you left it sitting on too long. The sequel, Son of Flubber, was released after the end of the FC series but had a Movie Comics adaptation.

43517-FC1199.jpg

FC 1210

What red-blooded American boy of the right age didn't have a crush on Hayley Mills? This was the movie that sealed the affair for most of us impressionable young lads. They even managed to have two pictures of her in pajamas on the cover! For those of you too old or too young to know the movie, Hayley played her own twin with fancy camera work, sort of like the Patty Duke TV show, which started soon after this movie.

43518-FC1210.jpg

Unabashed review of the book is here.

I've got to include this panel. Has slang really changed that much since 1963 that he could say this to his daughter?

43519-mills4.jpg

Jack

I've got to include this panel. Has slang really changed that much since 1963 that he could say this to his daughter?

The line is funnier if you imagine it voiced by Sean Connery. lol

Thanks for keeping this thread alive.

Thanks for keeping this thread alive.

Imagining it from Brian Keith, aka "Uncle Bill" of Family Affair, is funny/creepy enough for me.

(Aren't you going to answer any of my questions, Scrooge? If you don't, who will? Do I have to borrow an award from BangZoom?)

Jack

Edited by selegue

How many years do you think it will take to get one image of each four color comic from the first and second series posted in this thread?

Over 1300 issues strong with a first and second series.....

I'll start it out with my earliest Four Color #9 Terry and the Pirates from Series I (Gerber 8) 1523321-ComicScan0268.JPG

Ruben Blades has the full set. I saw them at his house about ten years ago. Perhaps you could persuade him to let you go there and scan them?

Well l have scans of all but 25 of the 2nd series, only a few of the first series though when l eventually read through the thread to work out what was posted so far l will add the ones l own (not many) and a few of my favourites from the 2nd series

Of course reading through the thread could take a while.

Edited by aussie500

That made my day.

Well besides the fact that I just got home from Disneyland

Has this been posted? Porky Pig by Carl Barks:

Yes, and Porky wasn't wearing any pants that time either!

But it's good to see another copy.

Why the heck did Dell put their seal on the mountain instead of up in the corner?

Jack

fourcolor048.jpg