• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A pleasant surprise from CGC.........

18 posts in this topic

I picked up a handful of nice Planet Comics in a trade during the summer. The best of the bunch was a copy of #47 that the owner graded as a VF- copy. Here is what CGC had to say:

1524390-cgcPlanetComics47label.jpg

1524390-cgcPlanetComics47.jpg

Is there much demand for 8.0 - 9.0 copies of Planet Comics from 1947 - 1949? I am trying to decide whether to send in the other issues I picked up. They were graded as FN to FN/VF by the owner so I am now expecting them to be around 8.0 slabbed.

1524390-cgcPlanetComics47.jpg.d06b3ff9f522951811be9a769fca7f8b.jpg

I picked up a handful of nice Planet Comics in a trade during the summer. The best of the bunch was a copy of #47 that the owner graded as a VF- copy. Here is what CGC had to say:

1524390-cgcPlanetComics47label.jpg

1524390-cgcPlanetComics47.jpg

Is there much demand for 8.0 - 9.0 copies of Planet Comics from 1947 - 1949?

Not really, but I'll take that 47 off your hands along with the junkie raw books you're describing so you can put this unfortunate memory behind you. insane.gif

The demand for Planets in that range is in direct proportion to the hotness factor of the girl on the cover.

This statement is actually true for Fiction House books in general, and especially true for the Planets as a whole and also for the later issues of Wings.

The demand for Planets in that range is in direct proportion to the hotness factor of the girl on the cover.

sign-funnypost.gif

So true, so true.

I propose a dual rating system for GGA books. Each book would get two ratings in the following fomat: x.x::x.x. The first "x.x" is the actual grade of the comic. The second "x.x" would be the "hotness factor" of the girl on the cover. Thus, Seven Seas #5 in VG would get a 4.5::9.8. A high grade Planet with a less hot girl would be a 9.0::6.0.

Anyone up to starting a thread adopiting this proposal?

I don't think a CGC girl-grading system is a good idea. I know how sad it is when a book you think is untouched comes back as a restored grade.

Now imagine that with the girls in a 9.2 NM- book.

9.2::9.0CONDITIONAL::slight collagen and "a lift"

I don't think a CGC girl-grading system is a good idea. I know how sad it is when a book you think is untouched comes back as a restored grade.

Now imagine that with the girls in a 9.2 NM- book.

9.2::9.0CONDITIONAL::slight collagen and "a lift"

27_laughing.gif

Most likely only to happen on modern books.

Seriously, I think 7.5 to 8.0 is the cut-off for HG Planets. I have a few CGC 7.5's and 8.0's that look awesome and I'm not overly concerned with upgrading. Ironically, I think Planets seem to do better in slightly lower grade right now, as I don't see people stepping up and paying for HG Planets the way they should (works for me grin.gif). I just don't think the HG books are out there in any number sufficient to fulfill what will be the future demand. There are lots of low grade Planets. So if you have several possible 8.0's, you have some nice books. However, unless you intend to sell them, I see no reason to slab them (unless you like your collection slabbed).

Seriously, I think 7.5 to 8.0 is the cut-off for HG Planets. I have a few CGC 7.5's and 8.0's that look awesome and I'm not overly concerned with upgrading. Ironically, I think Planets seem to do better in slightly lower grade right now, as I don't see people stepping up and paying for HG Planets the way they should (works for me grin.gif). I just don't think the HG books are out there in any number sufficient to fulfill what will be the future demand. There are lots of low grade Planets. So if you have several possible 8.0's, you have some nice books. However, unless you intend to sell them, I see no reason to slab them (unless you like your collection slabbed).

Thanks for the info. I am going to put this one up on eBay over XMas to see how it does. At the least, it should attract some attention to my other auctions as it is tied (1 of 2) for the highest graded copy as of the last census. grin.gif