• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGX vs CGC

31 posts in this topic

This is my first post on this board. I am trying to get some info on PGX and the incident I have been reading about concerning Terrance Leder. Anyone have any info on this? Does PGX have an actual team of grading and restoration detection experts like CGC. Or is it a one man show which I am starting to think? And what are PGX's credentials for grading? It seems to be an easier way to submit books but I am starting to read some not so positive things about this guy. Any feeedback would be appreciated.

drx

PGX is basically a one or two man operation, you'll notice that they have no bio-page on their website. Their "facilities" have been alleged to be nothing more than an apartment or someones house. They have no real credentials or reputation in the industry.

We at STL Comics used to work for PGX but quit when we began to see the shady inner-workings of the company.

PGX is basically a one or two man operation, you'll notice that they have no bio-page on their website. Their "facilities" have been alleged to be nothing more than an apartment or someones house. They have no real credentials or reputation in the industry.

We at STL Comics used to work for PGX but quit when we began to see the shady inner-workings of the company.

wow! so they rubbed you guys the wrong way too huh? PGX doesn't measure up to CGC for reliable grading or prices realized and at this point i would be afraid to send a valuable comic to them.

Thinking of sending away some to get slabbed by PGX, you have me a little worried. Thought I would give them a try, especially since CGC won't include loose items in the case, unlike PGX. I wanted to get this one slabbed and include the blue certificate. I don't know should I send this one to them (only one of 600)?

1526449-MMbe.jpg

1526449-MMbe.jpg.4c2ec7fc1f62d8ff09b2b316a48ceeda.jpg

WOW That's pretty sweet.

Maybe you could call CGC and ask about getting a note included on the label instead? I don't know if that happens or not...

I'm hesitant to buy anything PGX certified. I don't think there's enough of a standard, so it comes down to an unnecessary price boost.

This ol' subject again, huh? I remember back in the good ol' days getting into dozens of debates on this issue. I don't submit anything anymore, but a few years back I had submitted around 150 books to PGX (first known as CGG, then PGA) as well as 300 or so to CGC. My general rule is this, if you have books valued at $250 or less and are not slabbing to sell, then by all means PGX will do fine, they'll grade your book and put it in a nice slab for ya'. If you plan on selling your books, or they are valued at more than $250 each (at least that was my cutoff) then I'd highly suggest going with CGC as you will realize higher selling prices on them. My only other comment, and I don't know if it has changed, is that PGX has been extremely harsh on high grade Modern Age books. Unrealistically tough. Anyway, send a sample submission to both and see how it goes. It is a good thing to have options and you can benefit from that.

news.gif

Stick with CGC smile.gif

and just have CGC grade your Miracleman and slip the certificate in the back of the outer holder yourself, that's what i do with my certs. Not for everyone, but it's a subjective idea.. gossip.gif

for trev flowerred.gif

For now stick with CGC

and as far as the eye can see....I would like to see a real competitor but I think it's unlikely at this point.

I agree with Sid that you should have options. My only point is that ultimately any book you have will be sold at some point--it's just logical. Considering that, spending money on certifying anything but relatively inexpensive material on PGX just doesn't make sense, and even that is a risk IMO considering market perception (for anyone who does homework, which should be everyone).

You on the st louis forum are real good about slandering people and deleting your posts.

Mac Man...just so you know:

DRX started this thread in December of 2006 and hasn't posted on the forums since last February.

Also...the_shadoow_knows is just some nutcase that's associated with PGX and keeps bumping these old threads.

Feel free to mock him or ignore him at your leisure...that's what everyone else seems to be doing.

Mac Man...just so you know:

DRX started this thread in December of 2006 and hasn't posted on the forums since last February.

Also...the_shadoow_knows is just some nutcase that's associated with PGX and keeps bumping these old threads.

Feel free to mock him or ignore him at your leisure...that's what everyone else seems to be doing.

Hardly.My next batch of comics will be going to cgc.Way too many pgx 9.8 being sold now(let alone 9.9).

You on the st louis forum are real good about slandering people and deleting your posts.

ROFL! You have to have a reputation to be able to slander someone. Deleting posts.....I can't rightly remember the last time a post was deleted at STL.

PGX has earned what reputation they have on their own. Forums have helped in small part but that is really only been by informing curious folks.