• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do people listing on Comiclink even care about GPA?

239 posts in this topic

Are you going to include page quality at some point? That would be a tremendous help and will also expalin the price fluctuations as well as centering.

At this stage the plan is to include the serial number where available. With the relase of GPA for Coins, we will be redevloping GPA for Comics, with the addition of serial numbers on the list.

Excellent.

Just out of curiosity do you have all of these tracked auctions on file with all of that info?

From 2005 onwards - some a little earlier for those books sold through venues that report the certs directly to us (for example for heritage, since about 2003/2004. Not all books sold through eBay will have certs - either not listed in the auction or label too small.

Edited by gpanalysis

I've only bought 1 book off Comiclink and it was probably overpriced. I kept making offers that got declined (up to $15 less than the asking price), but the book isn't an easy find & I was willing to pay for it, so I can't complain.

But I do agree that with consignment books, the owners tend to overprice. Maybe they're trying to recoup the commission that the dealer charges??? confused-smiley-013.gif

Yes, you should realize that they've probably factored the cost of the commission into the price. They've probably also added a BIN price as opposed to an offer price.

Cost of shipping is also added in when you buy... but the seller also has to ship it to the service (so shipping is part of the sale price when you're a seller... It's an added expense when you're a buyer.)

Just my observations from my own listings/purchases...

There seems to be a presumption that all people who put their books up on CL are actually interested in selling, which may not always be the case.

Consignment sites like Comiclink also tend to become storefronts for some comic owners. They're not necessarily interested in selling their books, but would sell if the right offer came along. So they take advantage of free consignment sites like CL to put their books up at super high prices and just wait to see if anyone bites or at least makes a bid worth considering. From a consignor's point of view, it's a win-win situation.

Hi Sterling, for the record I don't think we've ever pushed our service as a guide on what people should or must pay for CGC books, nor what the upper limit should be - I'm not saying you are suggesting this is the case - what you're most likely saying is that some collectors who use our service may like to quote prices and hold these up as gospel.

Frankly I haven't come across anyone who would use GPA in this way

George, you must be kidding. There are numerous posts and threads on these boards that indicate that's EXACTLY how a lot of people view GPA. How many posts have basically said "I can't believe this seller has the gall to list the books at X, when GPA for the book is Y"?

I totally agree with you and Sterling on what GPA is and how it should be used, but I'm not sure that such sentiment is shared by a lot of other people here.

Well let me pose this question.

Would you pay $250.00 for an Avengers 32 in 9.4 after seeing these statistics?

(18) 149.03 average for all sales

(3) 181.13 12 month average

(1) 160.00 90 day average

160.00 last sale

225/45 high/ low

Dec 2006 last sale date

I know i wouldnt want to pay $70.00 more than the 12 month average.

If a book is rare or a key thats a different story.

I think 18 sales is a good indication of value on a book.

And that high 225 sale throws it all out of whack.

The average price should be near the all sales average.

GPA deals with a broader spectrum of buyers and to me is the true guide for pricing.

Marvel collectors should agree with this.

I see books listed on there that aren't even the highest graded copies and yet the asking price is more than double of the highest graded copy on GPA!

Why is that? confused-smiley-013.gif

I was wondering the same thing when that 9.6 Ghosts # 2 went up for I think about $1400 or close to that.

They're probably hoping that someone will pull the trigger on that absurd price. I guess I can't fault anyone for trying.

My take on the higher price listings is that most are expecting people to make offers that are lower than your asking price. If the GPA on a book is $100 and you really want to get $100, would you put that amout as the asking price, knowing you'll get numerous offers well below that, or would you put $150 an see if you get closer to the $100 offer or possibly more ?

Would you pay $250 for an Avengers #32 9.4? I don't know, my site allows bidding so feel free to make an offer. Very few of my customers pay full retail but of course to rocket scientists like yourself who are sellers you know all too well how business runs. Even if I list a book at GPA there are going to be people who bid lower. Once you allow discounting in your business you can't go back to be a full priced shop. I'd probably accept a price of $200 for the Avengers #32 which sort of contradicts your $70 over statement. But then again you know everything.

Do me a favor, setup and become a dealer and keep good records. I have just as many recorded sales of books of certain issues to determine my prices. And quite frankly if I gave my numbers to GPA some of those "Averages" might move up. GPA provides insight to books that trade frequently, on some books they are completely USELESS.

I would pay it. If it was a book that I wanted/needed, you betcha. IMHO, people that usually use GPA in buying are for the most part looking to score a deal so they can flip it a higher profit down the line confused-smiley-013.gif

If you are collecting certain books, who gives a krap what GPA is if you have no intention of flipping it.

I would pay it. If it was a book that I wanted/needed, you betcha. IMHO, people that usually use GPA in buying are for the most part looking to score a deal so they can flip it a higher profit down the line confused-smiley-013.gif

If you are collecting certain books, who gives a krap what GPA is if you have no intention of flipping it.

I've paid triple GPA for certain books I've wanted. thumbsup2.gif

I find GPA a very useful tool. To rely on just one source though, isn't wise. I think the value of GPAnalysis will continue to grow as the sampling increases.

It's only a guide anyway. And since Overstreet doesn't publish upper highgrade numbers, it's the only easy source for any price indicators of those books.

If there's a book I really want, then I'll leave the GPA numbers out of the equation. We're all addicts on this bus. smirk.gif

Here's my take on buying and selling with Comiclink.

Buying:

The only books I tend to purchase off Comiclink are ones that are fairly difficult to locate in general and/or a certain grade. For instance, if I've been looking for a certain GGA book for over 6 months, and one shows up on CL, then I'll probably go after it (even if it's slightly overpriced). However, if it's a common book like a VF copy of ASM #25, then I'll probably wait for a cheaper copy to surface on Ebay. No rush.

Selling:

When it comes to my general collection, I usually break my books into 4 tiers.

Tier 1: These books will not be listed since they are untouchable in my eye. I really want to keep them in my collection, and have no desire to sell them at this time. These will not be listed.

Tier 2: These are books that I really enjoy having in my collection, but would sell for the right price. Heck, if someone wants to pay me 30%-40% more than what I paid for these books, then I'd probably take that offer and purchase books that fit into Tier 1. I'll probably list these books on CL with a higher than average selling price, and see what happens. If the books sell, then great otherwise, I'll still enjoy having it in my collection. I do realize that people don't like having CL congested with overpriced books, but a couple have sold in the past 2 years or so. Otherwise, I wouldn't even bother.

Tier 3: These are books that I don't mind having in my collection, but would sell just to get my money back (including slabbing, consigninga nd shipping fees). I'll usually list these books at 20% over my minimum price (even if it's sometimes a little less than what I paid for it) so it gives me room to haggle. I would hate to reject someone that makes a $90 offer on a book I've listed for $100 because that's my absolute minimum. Depending on my financial situation at the time, my accepting value can vary widely over time. Heck, I've sold books for less than an offer I rejected a couple of months back just because I needed the money.

Tier 4: These are books that I don't want or need in my collection. I'll price them at or below average GPA value on CL just to get rid of them. I may take big financial losses on these books, but I don't care. I would also list these books on Ebay without a reserve and see what happens.

My basic philosophy is that if I enjoy having a book in my collection, then I'm not willing to take a financial hit on it. This approach also helps me focus on which books to purchase and keep in my collection. If I'm constantly buying and selling books at a loss, then I'd probably leave this hobby a lot quicker than I want to. I usually feel the need to keep a book at least 3 years just so I can get my money back. If I'm willing to own a book for that long of a time then more likely than not, it's a keeper. Therefore, the dogs get weeded out.

I've paid triple GPA for certain books I've wanted.

example!

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Paid OVER $1500 for a JIM #89 in 8.5. Foolkiller picked it up for me from Harry last year at the Javitts when last GP was about $600+

Sorry. make that 2.5 times GPA.

OK, close enough to 3 times GPA.

tongue.gif

R.

example!

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Paid OVER $1500 for a JIM #89 in 8.5. Foolkiller picked it up for me from Harry last year at the Javitts when last GP was about $600+

tongue.gif

R.

and you want one in 9.0 or better confused-smiley-013.gif

example!

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

tongue.gif

R.

and you want one in 9.0 or better confused-smiley-013.gif

cloud9.gif