• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do people listing on Comiclink even care about GPA?

239 posts in this topic

Bob gets consignment business by using his own database and experience-based sense of the marketplace.

Case in point from several years ago. I wanted to buy an HDTV and so decided to sell a slabbed TOS 39 with white pages. First, I offered it on the boards for $Y, and a serious collector (at the time) of high grade early Marvels expressed an interest. However, he was only willing to pay 90% of Y since, after all, that was roughly the highest GPA price. I felt that with the exceptional eye appeal and page quality, the book could command more, and we never struck a deal. Bob offered to sell the book on consignment after giving the opinion that it could command much more than Y. He was right, and sold the book for 130% of Y. Even with his consignment fee, I netted a thousand dollars more than I would have by selling it to the serious collector from the boards who was rooted to a GPA-based value system.

I understand where Bob comes from when he states his unwillingness to provide "proprietary" information to the dealer community at large by making his data available through GPA.

The Bigger Question: Now that it is all said and done -Was the HDTV worth thaat sweet key?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

"Russ, I think Bob already answered this question. At some point, he has to buy the books that he later sells. If the GPA for those books rises because of higher sales prices reported by him, CL and others, then his purchase price rises. In this hobby and as in many others, information is power, and profit opportunities arise from exploiting discrepancies in information between buyers and sellers"

Again, very astute observation and absolutely true. This is not only true about sales being reported to GPA, the same goes for sales being reported to the Overstreet Price Guide.

And a smart buyer is one who attempts to close that information gap as much as possible.

Aussie:

I'm still on coffee #1 so forgive me if I'm not clear.

I will speak to CGC sales that I know would cause an uptick in GPA, not the ones that would cause a downward one.

If I felt that CGC prices would continue there upward run with no downside risk then having those GPA prices submitted causing price increases wouldn't bother me in the least. But when I am seeing price compressions in certain parts of the market why exactly do I want to be increasing my buying cost?

And since I was a collector there is nothing more exciting than seeing your books increase in value yet you get annoyed because the books on your want list just became more expensive to acquire. I waited 6 months to get first shot at the Mass books. My want list was going up in guide $1000 a month when Overstreet was issuing the monthly guide. And don't think Marnin wasn't waiting for that latest issue to price those books.

Yes, it's not as easy to make money as it used to be. There are more competitors out there, more people play "dealer" than ever before. They cherry pick the good stuff and leave a lot of the rest for us to buy.

Lastly, Every dealer has a "Bail out" price on a book. Especially on CGC graded books. You pay a certain price and if you had to sell you could still make a little bit of money. Every dealer has sometimes had to sell something because a bill or their "monthly nut as some of my buddies called it" came due. Be at a bad convention and you will see this type of selling.

Maybe this is not answering your question, maybe it is.

Your points are also very very accurate.

Regarding BB's position on not reporting prices to GPA: He's correct in his approach.

1)As was said before, He has no incentive upside to report his sales data. to anyone. If he sees trends developing it's his proprietary info and he needs not share that with the general population. If anyone wants the data then subscribe to Bob's pricing service.

2)In my business, I make money generating ideas for myself. Many times I'm solicited for ideas and I will only give very general info keeping any specific trading thoughts for myself. The last thing I need is additional competition.

I totally agree with you and Sterling on what GPA is and how it should be used, but I'm not sure that such sentiment is shared by a lot of other people here.

George: I think a number of subscribers are taking the data too literally in terms of making buying and selling decisions; it may be worthwhile to include a detailed article outlining what you have said here to help educate subscribers in how to use the information effectively. The fact that the information doesn't include other sources is a factor that the subscriber must submit to and factor in when making purchasing decisions. Of course, the usual suspects (scarcity, grade, etc) are always in play.

Also, timing plays a huge part in this, which can't be captured by any statistical gathering system. Being in the right place in the right time with the right product is a bit of an art, unless you have a huge network of collectors and can provide their wants. For example: a Witching Hour #15 CGC 9.4 sells for over $400 on ComicLink....another one follows up a time later for similar money. The remaining copy that came online later is still waiting to sell. Timing is everything.

The Bigger Question: Now that it is all said and done -Was the HDTV worth thaat sweet key?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well, I've still got thousands of my favorite comics, but only one plasma TV. It's akin to the change decades ago from black-and-white to color. cloud9.gif

What bothers me is when they feel I should sell the book for the GPAnalysis price as if it's the End all/Be all price. Hence my many posts about the fact that I have sales data to back up my pricing.

Substitute "GPA" with "OS Guide" and this is the same song collectors and dealers have been dancing to since 1971.

First, I offered it on the boards for $Y, and a serious collector (at the time) of high grade early Marvels expressed an interest. However, he was only willing to pay 90% of Y since, after all, that was roughly the highest GPA price. I felt that with the exceptional eye appeal and page quality, the book could command more, and we never struck a deal. Bob offered to sell the book on consignment after giving the opinion that it could command much more than Y. He was right, and sold the book for 130% of Y. Even with his consignment fee, I netted a thousand dollars more than I would have by selling it to the serious collector from the boards who was rooted to a GPA-based value system.

27_laughing.gif As I said earlier, there is almost an obsessive need by board members to pay less than GPA for a book, no matter how desirable it is or how badly they want it. It's like some kind of comic collector macho thing.

First, I offered it on the boards for $Y, and a serious collector (at the time) of high grade early Marvels expressed an interest. However, he was only willing to pay 90% of Y since, after all, that was roughly the highest GPA price. I felt that with the exceptional eye appeal and page quality, the book could command more, and we never struck a deal. Bob offered to sell the book on consignment after giving the opinion that it could command much more than Y. He was right, and sold the book for 130% of Y. Even with his consignment fee, I netted a thousand dollars more than I would have by selling it to the serious collector from the boards who was rooted to a GPA-based value system.

27_laughing.gif As I said earlier, there is almost an obsessive need by board members to pay less than GPA for a book, no matter how desirable it is or how badly they want it. It's like some kind of comic collector macho thing.

I'd like to input a bit here. Bob has actually paid me above GPA for books. That is a dealer paying over GPA prices. I'd like to think Bob has an idea of what the market will bear. Oh and I personally use GPA and love it.

R.

Y'know what's even funnier, Tim? The serious collector from the boards eventually bought the book from the person that bought it from Bob. Lord knows what he had to pay to acquire it then!

Y'know what's even funnier, Tim? The serious collector from the boards eventually bought the book from the person that bought it from Bob. Lord knows what he had to pay to acquire it then!

27_laughing.gif Serves the cheap bas- right! 893applaud-thumb.gif

It's just too bad all the dinero couldn't have just ended up in your pocket to begin with.

I have no idea what the GPA is on this book, but this seems high.

http://www.comiclink.com/./itemdetail.as...C&id=662265

A 9.6 maybe, but certainly not a 9.4.

I'm fully aware that I might be way off base here, but it seems very high.

I sold a 9.4 white of that book for $1250 or $1300 in 2004 so that is not far off.

confused-smiley-013.gif

I thought paying well OVER GPA for a book was the macho thing to do. confused-smiley-013.gif

Seriously, I've had some great luck recently buying a couple of genuinely rare and top census books for under previous recorded GPA prices. But it was due to factors like

a). A collector changing their collecting emphasis and willing to take a loss.

b). A dealer clearing out some stock for close to break-even.

And since these were private sales, I don't expect them to show up in GPA. So, I get the benefit of paying less, but also keeping the GPA "last sale" price high on books that don't have any other copies circulating in same grade.

I think all collectors that buy higher end material, after they've become seasoned, will know a unique buying opportunity when it presents itself and act accordingly. If the books presented to you never come around in grade, you'll tend to pay the asking price, regardless of what GPA or Overstreet have to say. The ability to recognize true scarcity and a unique opportunity is what seperates an advanced collector from the weekend warriors in my opinion.

Bob related a story of picking up some awesome early FFs from Harley several years ago. He paid through the nose at the time, but his decision was well rewarded when it came time to sell. Some books just don't come along that often.

I sold a 9.4 white of that book for $1250 or $1300 in 2004 so that is not far off.

confused-smiley-013.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I wouldn't have guessed that particular book is so hard to find in 9.4. Perhaps it is. confused-smiley-013.gif

Congrats on the sale 893applaud-thumb.gif

Black cover, semi key book. I'd say a 9.6 might fetch in the neighbour hood of double that as a 9.8 sold for over $5000 if i remember correctly.

R.

acclaim.gif

Just for you Bob, a few to write for your next show…

1: potential buyer:

cool.gif "you want $500?, that's too much!… GPA shows the last 2 sales at $350 and $397"

1: reply: (real info, not BS... gotta put in the time)

gossip.gif "yeah, I saw those sales. The first copy had Cream to OW pages though and the seller only had 31 feedbacks, didn't accept paypal and was shipping from Iraq… the other was from a reputable US seller, but the scan was small perhaps trying to underemphasize what appeared to be a noticeable angle miswrap.

1: potential buyer:

flamed.gif "..................?!......uh..., h mmmm, you gotta point... h mmm... $495?"

2: potential buyer:

cool.gif "you want $500?, that's too much!… GPA shows the last 2 sales at $350 and $397. I saw those sales and both books were white pagers and nicely centered."

2: reply:

893blahblah.gif "yeah, I saw those sales too. Nice books... I see you didn't bid though. How do you know what the winner's high bid was? Maybe it was $525. If you did bid, the book would have went higher… right? What if there were 2-3 of you out there, very interested but didn't/couldn't bid for one reason or another? If the seller ended the auction so all 3 time zones could bid perhaps 1 or 2 other interested parties could have pushed that baby up to $600... Just curious, why didn't you bid since you're in the market for the book?"

2: potential buyer:

frustrated.gif893censored-thumb.gif "........... $495? dammit!"

893applaud-thumb.gif

10 pages on this subject? This is so who cares to me. If people want to charge those prices then so be it. CL is not the only place with overpriced slabs. As for GPA and it being the final word. Like one of the early people said it is a guide a guide that goes from a fairly limited set of sources so who is to say how "accurate" it is. In the end it is not the final word on prices and people pay under and over it all the time.

What is interesting to me is that if you pay GPA or more you are still paying a premium so complaining about it seems fairly moot. You are losing money either way.