• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do people listing on Comiclink even care about GPA?

239 posts in this topic

I see books listed on there that aren't even the highest graded copies and yet the asking price is more than double of the highest graded copy on GPA!

Why is that? confused-smiley-013.gif

I mean, honestly, do you guys that list on Comiclink even care about GPA.

Not to mention, the books that I look for aren't necessarily that expensive anyway. ESPECIALLY raw!

Most of the books I'm looking for could be picked up in NM for under $25 yet I see CGC graded ones with a GPA of about $60 in 9.6 and people are wanting over $250 on Comiclink whereas the GPA for 9.8's is around $125

GPA shows prices realized for sales that they have recorded. Currently, no ComicLink sales are reported to GPA and GPA also lacks retail sales from many other sources. Therefore, their numbers are incomplete, and collectors preaching them as gospel is inaccurate and misleading. One high profile example of is the sale of Hulk #1 CGC 9.0 with white pages which sold in a recent Mastro auction for $33,378 and was reported to GPA. In March 2005, a Hulk #1 in 9.0 with off-white to white pages (I think it is the same book before the page quality upgrade) was sold by a consignor on ComicLink for $50,000. So, what is it worth? Taking the GPA number only, a collector would conclude that it is only worth $33K. Taking the ComicLink number only, a collector would conclude that it is worth $50K. Knowing what it sold for in both places, a reasonable conclusion is that what it is worth depends on who is looking for the book at the time, the client base of the selling venue, the scarcity of the book, and what the buyer (and underbidder) is willing to spend to obtain it. If you are a seller, what the book is worth will also have to take into account, keeping in mind the above factors as well, the total commissions (buyer + seller) of the selling venue. What the seller nets = what the buyer ultimately pays for the item minus the sum of the buyer and seller commissions retained by the selling venue.

There are countless examples of items selling on ComicLink for higher than the average GPA numbers (the vast majority of which are comprised of eBay and Heritage sales) or even higher than the book just recently sold for in another venue. Of course, there are also examples where a seller is willing to accept less than GPA numbers for a quick sale (or doesn't know that a book can sell for more than their list price) and the astute buyer can obtain a relative "bargain." Alternatively, an uninformed or greedy seller on ComicLink or anywhere else may overprice a book that is not scarce and it is therefore a pitfall for any buyer that is going to resell in the short-term.

Josh Nathanson

www.comiclink.com

Edited by comiclink

I've paid triple GPA for certain books I've wanted.

example!

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Paid OVER $1500 for a JIM #89 in 8.5. Foolkiller picked it up for me from Harry last year at the Javitts when last GP was about $600+

Sorry. make that 2.5 times GPA.

OK, close enough to 3 times GPA.

tongue.gif

R.

and you want one in 9.0 or better confused-smiley-013.gif

cloud9.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif good example.

I see books listed on there that aren't even the highest graded copies and yet the asking price is more than double of the highest graded copy on GPA!

Not to mention, the books that I look for aren't necessarily that expensive anyway. ESPECIALLY raw!

Most of the books I'm looking for could be picked up in NM for under $25 yet I see CGC graded ones with a GPA of about $60 in 9.6 and people are wanting over $250 on Comiclink whereas the GPA for 9.8's is around $125

GPA shows prices realized for sales that they have recorded. Currently, no ComicLink sales are reported to GPA and GPA also lacks retail sales from many other sources. Therefore, their numbers are incomplete, and collectors preaching them as gospel is inaccurate and misleading. One high profile example of is the sale of Hulk #1 CGC 9.0 with white pages which sold in a recent Mastro auction for $33,378 and was reported to GPA. In March 2005, a Hulk #1 in 9.0 with off-white to white pages (I think it is the same book before the page quality upgrade) was sold by a consignor on ComicLink for $50,000. So, what is it worth? Taking the GPA number only, a collector would conclude that it is only worth $33K. Taking the ComicLink number only, a collector would conclude that it is worth $50K. Knowing what it sold for in both places, a reasonable conclusion is that what it is worth depends on who is looking for the book at the time, the client base of the selling venue, the scarcity of the book, and what the buyer (and underbidder) is willing to spend to obtain it. If you are a seller, what the book is worth will also have to take into account, keeping in mind the above factors as well, the total commissions (buyer + seller) of the selling venue. What the seller nets = what the buyer ultimately pays for the item minus the sum of the buyer and seller commissions retained by the selling venue.

There are countless examples of items selling on ComicLink for higher than the GPA numbers or even higher than the book recently sold for in another venue. Of course, there are also examples where a seller is willing to accept less than GPA numbers for a quick sale (or doesn't know that a book can sell for more than their list price) and the astute buyer can obtain a relative "bargain." Alternatively, an uninformed or greedy seller on ComicLink or anywhere else may overprice a book that is not scarce and it is therefore a pitfall for any buyer that is going to resell in the short-term.

Josh Nathanson

www.comiclink.com

Josh is correct here. I sold my DD #7 9.0 on comiclink last year for about $1750 (it sold in 2 days!!) when GP was much less than that.

R.

example!

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Paid OVER $1500 for a JIM #89 in 8.5. Foolkiller picked it up for me from Harry last year at the Javitts when last GP was about $600+

tongue.gif

R.

cloud9.gif

I dont think anyone is talking about a J.I.M. 89 or a Hulk 1. they are talking about the common stuff.

Books that routinely sell for 50-60.00 on Ebay that are priced at 125.00.

The JIM 89 is a prime example of what someone is willing to pay for a specific book that is rare and thats where sites like comiclink,Pedigree, Highgrade and Metro come into play. No one complains about that. You know you are going to pay more for those books.

Now if that JIM 89 was on Ebay he may have paid less because as I recall the next highest bid was several hundred lower than Roys.

example!

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

tongue.gif

R.

cloud9.gif

I dont think anyone is talking about a J.I.M. 89 or a Hulk 1. they are talking about the common stuff.

Books that routinely sell for 50-60.00 on Ebay that are priced at 125.00.

The JIM 89 is a prime example of what someone is willing to pay for a specific book that is rare and thats where sites like comiclink,Pedigree, Highgrade and Metro come into play. No one complains about that. You know you are going to pay more for those books.

Now if that JIM 89 was on Ebay he may have paid less because as I recall the next highest bid was several hundred lower than Roys.

The next highest bid at the Javitz show? I barely outbid the underbidder on behalf of Roy.

That book is now owned by the same forumite who I outbid as I own a stunning raw copy. He may want to remain anonymous. I was actually willing to go much higher (make that MUCH higher), but Brian felt it was unnecessary.

thumbsup2.gif

GPA shows prices realized for sales that they have recorded. Currently, no ComicLink sales are reported to GPA and GPA also lacks retail sales from many other sources. Therefore, their numbers are incomplete, and collectors preaching them as gospel is inaccurate and misleading.

Why don't you help out then, report Clink sales to GPA, and help fix this inaccurate and misleading information? confused-smiley-013.gif

but honestly the person who pays 200-300% of guide on a reasonably common book is the tool! poke2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Say it with me... "OS Guide is almost NEVER correct".

Seriously. X-Men #1 is pretty common (1105 graded copies is pretty darn common)and almost always sells for over guide. Once you get above a certain grade 200% guide is common. OS Guide is good for a list of comics, but poor for any kind of pricing.

As far as GPA... I use it to get an idea of where a comic is selling at and if it's been declining or rising in price. I've set a couple of GPA highs, but also gone well below them.

There are countless examples of items selling on ComicLink for higher than the average GPA numbers (the vast majority of which are comprised of eBay and Heritage sales) or even higher than the book just recently sold for in another venue. Of course, there are also examples where a seller is willing to accept less than GPA numbers for a quick sale (or doesn't know that a book can sell for more than their list price) and the astute buyer can obtain a relative "bargain." Alternatively, an uninformed or greedy seller on ComicLink or anywhere else may overprice a book that is not scarce and it is therefore a pitfall for any buyer that is going to resell in the short-term.

Josh Nathanson

www.comiclink.com

What's behind your decision not to supply sales data to GPA?

Oh there are preachers.

It's comes across in posts with statements like "Fairly priced".

The Subject of this thread is another example.

Why won't dealers price to GPA numbers? Because everybody wants a deal and will still ask for their standard discount. Nobody wants to pay guide either but they all want the dealer to pay them guide/guide + for their collection.

Buy for retail, sell for wholesale! I can see many of you graduated from Business school.

I'll answer for Josh on your question.

Why doesn't everybody post their sales to GPA? Hmmm, would business knowledge have something to do with it. Why would I communicate my pricing power to my competitors? Just because YOU won't pay the price doesn't mean someone else won't. And since I am in the business to make money why should I share that knowledge. So all you Part time "Collectors" can run around trying to buy the same stuff I am? Which many of you "Collectors" already are doing while claiming to be "Collectors". The CGC Selling thread is a perfect example of this. Throw a WTB post and watch the "Collectors" post.

Edited by blazingbob

But then you should certainly understand buyers willingness to examine whatever data does exist, imperfect or not, in an attempt to get a better handle on pricing.

Right?

BTW....

I would never suggest that dealers set their prices to GPA. Again, I don't think anyone has.

There are myriad variables involved. But any buyer attempting to get a better handle on a fair price would use GPA, as well as various other sources.

Less information favors the seller. More information (incomplete and flawed as it may be) favors the buyer.

Edited by Red Hook

Josh Nathanson

www.comiclink.com

I actually recently offered to start supplying some realized prices (selected higher dollar sales) to GPA and they did not appear to be interested.

Thanks,

Josh Nathanson

www.comiclink.com

Josh Nathanson

www.comiclink.com

I actually recently offered to start supplying some realized prices (selected higher dollar sales) to GPA and they did not appear to be interested.

Thanks,

Josh Nathanson

www.comiclink.com

I'm sure that's because GPA wants all the sales or none of them. It makes interpetation of GPA sales easier if this is the case. They'll be along shortly to explain.

Josh Nathanson

www.comiclink.com

Thanks,

Josh Nathanson

www.comiclink.com

I'm sure that's because GPA wants all the sales or none of them. .

Totally correct, it's all information that's required - I am a bit surprised Josh, I thought I put forward a compelling reason for you to include all sales if you were to report to us, not to cherry pick only a few - and I also explained that's how everyone who reports to us does it so I could not make an exception for one data supplier.

BTW, I don't think collectors quoting values from those books traded more often are inaccurate or misleading. From what I see, they're within the range that's realized on ComicLink.

And anyone looking at GPA or anything else to price a book based on one or two trades, well that's no different to a collector trying to gauge whether a book being offered by a dealer is fair if there is no historical information to give them some guide.

GPA provides insight to books that trade frequently, on some books they are completely USELESS.

How to do you come up with a price on a book you haven't offered before, or don't have any sales information on from show cons or any other venues?