• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do people listing on Comiclink even care about GPA?

239 posts in this topic

On 4/18/2020 at 9:13 AM, blazingbob said:

I second this.  With certain books my response is "If I had it the book would be on the wall".  What about that is demeaning?  Sometimes the person standing in front of me is the 20th person to ask.  I wouldn't hide certain books which goes back to a lot of posts from people who think we are hiding the good stuff in a box behind the table.  I want to sell books,  not hide them.  

Bob, I've asked you about books at cons and had you say, if not those exact words, something similar.  Never thought it was offensive.  Just direct and to the point.  2c

On 4/18/2020 at 10:13 AM, blazingbob said:

I second this.  With certain books my response is "If I had it the book would be on the wall".  What about that is demeaning?  Sometimes the person standing in front of me is the 20th person to ask.  I wouldn't hide certain books which goes back to a lot of posts from people who think we are hiding the good stuff in a box behind the table.  I want to sell books,  not hide them.  

Many dealers, both at shows and in their shops, indeed do hide the good stuff, largely to reduce thievery or to prevent non-serious buyers from funking their high dollar books up. I can think of three such LCS' off the top of my head. One of them I walk into and the owner immediately goes to his back room and pulls out the Good Stuff Box for me to flip through. 

My anecdotes > yours :acclaim:

5 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Many dealers, both at shows and in their shops, indeed do hide the good stuff, largely to reduce thievery or to prevent non-serious buyers from funking their high dollar books up. I can think of three such LCS' off the top of my head. One of them I walk into and the owner immediately goes to his back room and pulls out the Good Stuff Box for me to flip through. 

My anecdotes > yours :acclaim:

How exactly does one "funk up" good books?  The only thing limiting what I show is lack of Wall display space.  I don't subscribe to the "good box" flip through.    

1 minute ago, blazingbob said:

How exactly does one "funk up" good books?  The only thing limiting what I show is lack of Wall display space.  I don't subscribe to the "good box" flip through.    

Cheetoh dust under fingernails, probably. 

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 10:59 AM, blazingbob said:

I have no problem with somebody asking if I have a book.  I try to have a organized wall since I don't subscribe to the "chaos" wall setup theory which some do.

I ask Bob stupid questions at shows...just to annoy him. 

2 hours ago, blazingbob said:

Isn't that your new arrivals section on your website at www.highgradecomics.com ?:x

On 4/18/2020 at 9:42 AM, Greatness said:
On 4/18/2020 at 7:13 AM, blazingbob said:

Well, first of all. It would be highly understandable why certain books wouldn't be on a wall. Safety for employees and not welcoming getting robbed. Secondly, if I'm looking through your store and go out of my way to ask you about a comic, then I probably couldn't find it. If you don't see the issue with looking for something in a store, asking an employee for help and how unacceptable it is to say "If I had it you would see it.", then I guess you are really making my point.  It's rude. Guess what, if 20 customers ask, it's a HUGE sign that your customer base is not able to easily figure out the way you have organized your product.  Lastly, I don't think I said it would be "demeaning", I said it shows a "pugnacious" attitude and that your DEMEANOR lost you a customer.

Anyways, I was curious how time had affected your original response.  Thank you for clearing that up!

When he wants your opinion, he'll beat it out of you.

On 4/20/2020 at 10:19 AM, october said:

Demeaning? No. Snarky and offputting? For some people, yes. 

Having 20 people ask the same (possibly dumb) question in a row would drive me insane, but that's why I am not in customer service. 

I've spent a lot of time standing behind customers at the grocery store, drug store and post office.  I tell you, it is just amazing at times. 

You're right though, it would drive me insane as well - I always admire people that have to deal with krappy, unprepared, illogic, unknowing and uncaring customers day in and day out, and you never see or hear any frustration. It is an art.

13 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I've spent a lot of time standing behind customers at the grocery store, drug store and post office.  I tell you, it is just amazing at times. 

You're right though, it would drive me insane as well - I always admire people that have to deal with krappy, unprepared, illogic, unknowing and uncaring customers day in and day out, and you never see or hear any frustration. It is an art.

I've worked booths (sexy!) at major conventions and customers are, by far, the worst part of the experience.

6 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

I've worked booths (sexy!) at major conventions and customers are, by far, the worst part of the experience.

And yet you maintain your happy, uplifting, optimistic aura! :banana: 

4 minutes ago, lizards2 said:
12 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Whiskey.

16 minutes ago, Ryan. said:
21 minutes ago, lizards2 said:
29 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Whiskey.

Sorry - it hasn't worked its way out of my system yet - I partied late and hard last night. :sorry: 

On 4/18/2020 at 10:59 AM, blazingbob said:

I have no problem with somebody asking if I have a book.  I try to have a organized wall since I don't subscribe to the "chaos" wall setup theory which some do.

:roflmao:I run the Cards, Comics, and Collectibles booth at Baltimore every year. I spend hours and hours putting the wall books in alphabetical order before the show starts.

Edit: I hope I get the chance to do so this year!

Edited by FlyingDonut

57 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

I spend hours and hours putting the wall books in alphabetical order before the show starts.

Just curious... what is your method for alphabetizing?  (Yes, I know one option is to "start with A, then do B, then do C"... but that means looking through all the books over and over.)

But I'm sure there's a faster method you've worked out by now... wondering if it's something like "have a box of A through E in no order" "have a second box of F through J in no order", then when you need all the C's, it won't be your third time through all the boxes... it'll be your third time just within the A through E box.

21 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Just curious... what is your method for alphabetizing?  (Yes, I know one option is to "start with A, then do B, then do C"... but that means looking through all the books over and over.)

But I'm sure there's a faster method you've worked out by now... wondering if it's something like "have a box of A through E in no order" "have a second box of F through J in no order", then when you need all the C's, it won't be your third time through all the boxes... it'll be your third time just within the A through E box.

20200517_193104.png

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

I do each pile, then merge the piles. Usually there's about ten short boxes of unsorted books. There's no order to the books when I get them. Each pile gets sorted and put on the stacks, then I pull from the top. It works pretty well, all things considered. I don't miss many books.

17 hours ago, Ryan. said:

20200517_193104.png

quickSort(arr[], low, high)
{
    if (low < high)
    {
        /* pi is partitioning index, arr[pi] is now
           at right place */
        pi = partition(arr, low, high);

quickSort(arr, low, pi - 1);  // Before pi
        quickSort(arr, pi + 1, high); // After pi
    }