• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Age 12/1st BLACK SPIDEY 2 mos. b4 ASM 252/MTU 141

37 posts in this topic

Not sure this has been addressed anywhere else, but I wanted to clarify that although those turnaround shots of Spidey's new costume by Rick Leonardi appeared in Marvel Age, Leonardi was not the person who designed Spidey's black costume. The actual creator was none other than the person who introduced the costume in Secret Wars - Mke Zeck! The original designs were more like loose sketches. According to Zeck, Spidey's head was more "alien shaped" in those early sketches as well

It was an Alien costume.... confused-smiley-013.gif

Eh, they paid the guy. They even had him work on the -script and after awhile he dropped the ball and became un-interested in continuing. The fact that someone else picked up the pieces and made it into a viable idea that changed the Spidey landscape is where the real story lies. This guy is just having regrets that he didn't follow through. Simple as that.

The funny thing is that in the Comic Book Marketplace article on this story Jim Shooter said he offered him $500. yeahok.gif

Inflation. gossip.gif

(Either that, or he would have offered up to $500... too bad Randy took the first offer of $220.)

insane.gif

What happened to MARVEL AGE #12? I cannot seem to find any for sale on Ebay, or even closed listings... Has the hype died or has the supply of this book dried up - unlikely.

I picked up a strict 9.0 at a garage sale and I want to flip it, but I have no clue if it's worth it anymore. I sold a few VG+ to FN/VF copies for $8 a pop a few months back. Has the window closed, or are people hoarding them and therefore a good time to list a nice copy?

What do you guys think?

[but it works for the first appearence of TMNT in Gobbledygook #1 & 2... (even more so in that this was just an ad.)

works for some. There is by no means a consensus on that.

Personally, I think it's pretty obvious that the first appearance is TMNT 1. What with Gobbleygook being nothing more than an ad.

Is Gobblydegook important? Sure.

Is it the first appearance of TMNT as we understand and currently define the word? Of course not.