• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Imagine my surprise...

41 posts in this topic

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Walgreen's of the 1950's was a well established dinner. I'm curious to why they'd be selling comics. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Walgreen's is a pharmacy, still around on Long Island.

Well, the Walgreen of today is a pharmacy. I think they made the transformation from dinner to pharmacy sometime in the 1970's And today they are around everywhere. They're right next to Star Bucks and across the street from Wal-Mart.

They began as a pharmacy in 1901. You can read the thrilling, excioting story of the founding of Walgreen's right on the little linkie below!

Does Chuck have any Walgreen blood in him??? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Walgreen's of the 1950's was a well established dinner. I'm curious to why they'd be selling comics. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well, the Walgreen of today is a pharmacy. I think they made the transformation from dinner to pharmacy sometime in the 1970's And today they are around everywhere. They're right next to Star Bucks and across the street from Wal-Mart.

They used to have a little diner in them, replete with a soda fountain and ice cream, etc. My grandmother used to take us to the one on Canal St. in New Orleans in the 1960's

BTW

A-1 Pilsner is a brewery out of Phoenix Arizona. Not sure of their distribution but the sunny sky and background look the great Southwest anyway

http://www.coasterlab.com/new_page_46.htm

Ed

The train shot is a stop in Durango, Colorado. The building is the Durango Sign & Neon Company with the A-1 Pilsner Beer billboard. A guy from Phoenix bought that slide and his website shows that he reprints the old A-1 Beer advertising by a famous Arizona artist- "Megargee". His most famous work is probably the Cowboy's dream that shows a cowboy sleeping in the clouds with his hat pulled down, legs crossed- I believe it was parodied by Levi's in a commercial fairly recently.

They used to have a little diner in them, replete with a soda fountain and ice cream, etc. My grandmother used to take us to the one on Canal St. in New Orleans in the 1960's

There was a Woolworth's Store in my hometown that had a similar soda fountain/lunch counter that I barely remember from the late '60's early '70's. They tore it out around that time- too bad, I guess McDonalds & the like made cool places like that obsolete.

In Chanute Kansas, up until the early 90's you could go to a Cardinal Drug Store and get a Sandwich at the Soda Counter. Nothing like the Old Fashioned Soda's and Egg Cremes. Good times....sigh. But yes, Walgreens used to have a similiar set up in its stores as well as most pharmacies.

I hate to dredge up an old post, but today I was looking through my dad's old slides and found one he took of his sister in 1955. This is my aunt fishing and reading a comic on summer vacation in Colorado. He let me borrow this to scan. Kind of cool... maryellen2.jpg

I hate to dredge up an old post, but today I was looking through my dad's old slides and found one he took of his sister in 1955. This is my aunt fishing and reading a comic on summer vacation in Colorado. He let me borrow this to scan. Kind of cool... maryellen2.jpg

nice...50+ years old and looks like it was taken yesterday...

ahh, memories...

rick

Sorry to "dredge up an old post" again, but I felt this thread would be appropriate to post a pic I just found of my dad reading a comic book. This was a large negative- I took a photo of it and inverted the image to get a positive image, then adjusted the color balance in Photoshop. It was 1952 (he says), in Camp Pendleton, CA. He was 22 and in the marines, eventually becoming a Sergeant. This shot was taken in his barracks reading a copy of DC's Mr. District Attorney. I'm going to check the GCD to find out which issue it is soon...

dad.jpg

I've never seen this before last night, it turned up while he was cleaning out his upstairs storage area to install new insulation. I'm thrilled to see such a cool pic exists of him. He is still a comic collector and has a complete set of Walt Disney's Comics & Stories from #1 to present.

Sorry to "dredge up an old post" again, but I felt this thread would be appropriate to post a pic I just found of my dad reading a comic book. This was a large negative- I took a photo of it and inverted the image to get a positive image, then adjusted the color balance in Photoshop. It was 1952 (he says in Camp Pendleton, CA. He was 22 and in the marines, eventually becoming a Sergeant. This shot was taken in his barracks reading a copy of DC's Mr. District Attorney. I'm going to check the GCDB to find out which issue it is soon...

dad.jpg

I've never seen this before last night, it turned up while he was cleaning out his upstairs storage area to install new insulation. I'm thrilled to see such a cool pic exists of him. He is still a comic collector and has a complete set of Walt Disney's Comics & Stories from #1 to present.

Great story and picture!

Sorry to "dredge up an old post" again, but I felt this thread would be appropriate to post a pic I just found of my dad reading a comic book. This was a large negative- I took a photo of it and inverted the image to get a positive image, then adjusted the color balance in Photoshop. It was 1952 (he says), in Camp Pendleton, CA. He was 22 and in the marines, eventually becoming a Sergeant. This shot was taken in his barracks reading a copy of DC's Mr. District Attorney. I'm going to check the GCD to find out which issue it is soon...

dad.jpg

What a great memory to uncover Iggy! :applause:

dad.jpg

Very nice! Thanks for sharing! (thumbs u