• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your "My best find ever" story...

18 posts in this topic

I always enjoy a good story how collectors just kind of stumble over a treasure of comics.

Here''s one of my own:

About 12 years ago, I stumbled across a small ad in the classified section of the Comic Buyers Guide. I called the number asking about the book advertised (I dont rememeber which initial book it was). While talking to the seller, he mentioned that he had a nice run of 1950s HOUSE OF MYSTERY and HOUSE OF SECRETS. Being a big '50s Sci Fi collector, I told him I was interested.

He described the condition only as "decent". So I plunked down something like $150 and a couple of weeks later he shipped me a wonderful VF run of both titles HOM (60-90) and HOS (4-20). There are some really nice Kirby issues in that mix.

I will never forget how thrilling it was opening that box and seeing those books!

Lets hear your stroy...

Bill

I used to help the old guy next door (mowing his lawn, helping unload the groceries)...He gave me a bunch of Captain Americas/Human Torch books & other War comics from the 40's, about 30 all told...Step-Daddy tossed them in the dumpster

more recently...

My fiance Got a VF copy of UXM #8 for me on eBay for $50. That's officially my oldest comic right now...

I was about 11 years old in the mid seventies. I used to work on a farm during summer vacation. There was a shed, with a bunch of junk in it. I found a stack of comics (about 50 books) They were all westerns, and in pretty bad shape. (mouse chews, water damage ect...) I was fascinated with the books. I kept them and in time, kinda forgot about them until about 2002, and ended up selling them, when I joined ebay. It was at that point when I regained my fascination for comics, mostly from the artwork on the cover. I put together over 200 HG westerns, and about 400 HG FC Since that day in 2002 comics have been in my thoughts everyday. I only collect GA actions now. If I had not stumbled on these books as a kid, I doubt I would have ever been a comic collector.

I was selling back issues at a weekly flea market about 16 yrs ago. A collector waves a Wizard in front of me as he tries to sell me a raw bundle of SA DC. I told him he was asking too much for the 8 comics so I cherry picked 1. He overgraded the JLA #28 but I bought it anyways. It was actually a Brave Bold # 28 vg.

If u know enough to use current Wizard or Ostreet as a price guide, u better know what u are trying to sell to me. angel.gif

A (VERY) low-grade Amazing Spider-Man #1 at the Pittsburgh Comic-Con about 10 years ago or so for $100.

It ain't pretty...but it's the only copy I'll ever be able to afford, and the interior paper is actually pretty good:

spidey1.jpg

As a kid my friends thought I was stupid because they spend their $20 allowances and got a stack of black-and-white-glut books (Aircel comics, Eagle, Elflord, Samurai), while I plunked down $20 and only got one single comic book: Amazing Spider-Man #14, F.

On my first anniversay, my wife's "paper"-themed gift was a collection of SA Spidey,s too. That's when I knew the marriage would make it.

Hmmm...

The More Fun Collection - 2400 Golden Age books?

The Crescent City Collection - 240 high grade Golden Age books?

The Champagne Collection - Full run of Atom Age/Silver Age Marvel in VF or better?

Nope, it had to be the little old lady who walked in the store with Action 1 - 23! That was the happiest day of my comic collecting life, and one I am sure I will never be able to duplicate.

There were a lot of other fun collections with interesting stories during the time I owned the store, but I'll save some of those for another day.

Hmmm...

The Champagne Collection - Full run of Atom Age/Silver Age Marvel in VF or better?

Nope, it had to be the little old lady who walked in the store with Action 1 - 23! That was the happiest day of my comic collecting life, and one I am sure I will never be able to duplicate.

There were a lot of other fun collections with interesting stories during the time I owned the store, but I'll save some of those for another day.

You saved every single book. Right? poke2.gif

Hmmm...

Parents threw them out. poke2.gif

Hmmm...

Not quite.... sorry.gif

went to a yard sale. lady had 3 long boxes of silver/bronze and sold them to me for $170. Have sold most of it off but still have the Thors and some of the keys I got. Made my money back 20x over.

My personal DD collection was formed around a box of about 150 to 200 DD books that i bought for about $500. It was unbelieveable to find a run of hi grade silver age DD's in this box. #6 was about vf/nm, 7 vf, 11 nm, 14 nm-, 15 nm+, 21 NM+ onwards all in vf/nm to NM+ range.

Really cool. thumbsup2.gif

Three come to mind.

1) going thru a bunch of 50s/60s funny animal comics in a box at the 8th ave. Flea Market,circa 1990,when

I come across a beat up copy of Flash 105.A few books later,I find a Journey into Mystery 82,then a 79, and an 89.

2) answering a response to an ad I'd placed to buy comics,I came across a guy whose house had to resemble Edgar Churchs.Over 700 long boxes kept in a tiny house.His living room table was a sheet of ply wood on top of 14 boxes,his kids slept on mattresses on top of boxes. He wanted $10 a box,We settled on $5. He helped me move them,I cherry picked them for two weeks and sold the remaining 500 boxes for $25 a box.

3) walking into Mikes Comic Hut and seeing he had the original cover to Daredevil 112 on display.What was really odd was that I owned the cover and it was stored in my warehouse.A great way to discover your friend, a trusted employee is ripping you off.I got my cover back,Mike got his money back,and my former employee,in a fit of sorrow and dismay,plunged a BBQ fork into his back several times in an ill-fated attempt at atonement.

walking into Mikes Comic Hut and seeing he had the original cover to Daredevil 112 on display.What was really odd was that I owned the cover and it was stored in my warehouse.A great way to discover your friend, a trusted employee is ripping you off.I got my cover back,Mike got his money back,and my former employee,in a fit of sorrow and dismay,plunged a BBQ fork into his back several times in an ill-fated attempt at atonement.
893whatthe.gif Was he arrested?

walking into Mikes Comic Hut and seeing he had the original cover to Daredevil 112 on display.What was really odd was that I owned the cover and it was stored in my warehouse.A great way to discover your friend, a trusted employee is ripping you off.I got my cover back,Mike got his money back,and my former employee,in a fit of sorrow and dismay,plunged a BBQ fork into his back several times in an ill-fated attempt at atonement.

Am I the only one who finds this account fishy? Aren't BBQ fork's really long? I'm trying to figure out how you could reach behind yourself with a long fork to stab yourself in the back.....

"He ran into my knife - he ran into my knife...nine times!"

- Chicago

Am I the only one who finds this account fishy? Aren't BBQ fork's really long? I'm trying to figure out how you could reach behind yourself with a long fork to stab yourself in the back.....

- Chicago

foreheadslap.gif I guess I read it wrong. I thought he stabbed Mike

- Chicago

You could do it if you're somewhat double-jointed. I could do it.

Interestingly enough, about five years ago, our small town had a murder committed with a BBQ fork. It was one of those "best friends on alcohol" incidents..., at a BBQ. sorry.gif