• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Letters from Kids Who Grew Up To Be Creators

27 posts in this topic

So I'm re-reading Tales of Suspense 83. I think at one point I knew it was in there, but I'm getting older and forget things. The last letter in the letters column (Mails of Suspense) is from "Marvin Wolfman". He, of course, grew up to be legendary writer Marv Wolfman. The letter was thoroughly entertaining. He critiques the story and offers (several) suggestions to Stan on what he should do with the Red Skull character. You can totally tell this person would end up being a comicbook writer from the letter. It's truly amazing.

My question is-- what other comics that we know of have letters from people who grew up to be creators? I think I'd like to start a special nook in my collection for those books.

So I'm re-reading Tales of Suspense 83. I think at one point I knew it was in there, but I'm getting older and forget things. The last letter in the letters column (Mails of Suspense) is from "Marvin Wolfman". He, of course, grew up to be legendary writer Marv Wolfman. The letter was thoroughly entertaining. He critiques the story and offers (several) suggestions to Stan on what he should do with the Red Skull character. You can totally tell this person would end up being a comicbook writer from the letter. It's truly amazing.

My question is-- what other comics that we know of have letters from people who grew up to be creators? I think I'd like to start a special nook in my collection for those books.

Not sure of the issues, but Roy Thomas had more than one letter published.

There's a previous thread about creator letters (and other comic book world folks in letter cols) somewhere, but I'm too tired and hungry to search. I think it was last summer?

I'll try and find it, then. I've found to date, I haven't found a single thread I've looked for on here. I actually typed "Fantastic Four" and managed not to get the "Fantastic Four Collecting Thread" I was looking for. I even typed "Fantastic Four Collecting Thread." I decided there wasn't one. About 10 minutes later, someone posted to the thread which has existed apparently forever. So here's hoping!

...I just read a Justice League the other night,...somewhere between issue #86-89,...and it had a letter from Bob Rozakis in it,...

You'd be hard pressed to find an early 70s DC that didn't have a Bob Rozakis letter in it.He was that eras most published fan-letter author. A few years later,Mary Jo Duffy took up the mantle.

Arak #1 has a letter written by Todd McFarlane,and Wendi Pini makes several appearences as well.

...I just read a Justice League the other night,...somewhere between issue #86-89,...and it had a letter from Bob Rozakis in it,...

You'd be hard pressed to find an early 70s DC that didn't have a Bob Rozakis letter in it.He was that eras most published fan-letter author. A few years later,Mary Jo Duffy took up the mantle.

Arak #1 has a letter written by Todd McFarlane,and Wendi Pini makes several appearences as well.

...I disagree,..Joe Peluso from Brooklyn NY was the most published DC letter writer,....

...I disagree,..Joe Peluso from Brooklyn NY was the most published DC letter writer,....

I didn't know that!! Joe is the owner of my LCS(Mint Condition in Port Washington,NY) and along with being a great guy is a walking encyclopedia of comic knowledge. He'll get a big kick out of this!!!

T.M. Maple? Hurricane Herron?

If memory serves me right, Frank Miller had a letter in Marvel's The Cat (1973)...

Wendi Pini makes several appearences as well.

Richard Pini actualy met Wendy through the Silver Surfer lettercolumn... she had a letter published, he wrote to her, and a l'il elfin magic was eventually created. flowerred.gif

T.M. Maple? Hurricane Herron?

The Mad Maple came later,He was the man in the 80s.He even wrote a few scripts for some B&W book if I recall correctly,before his early demise.

I'm sticking with Bob R as the most proficent,although there were a few other contenders. sumo.gif

Not sure of the issues, but Roy Thomas had more than one letter published.

I think his first was in FF 5. FF 20 has a letter from Mark Gruenwald.

A regular letter-writer in silver age DC books was Irene Vartanoff, who went on to work in the business.

Avengers # 51 has letters from Tony Isabella and Doug Moench. I would go double check it but I sold my nice copy of that book for some stupid reason. Love

that cover and need to buy one back soon.

Tony Isabella also has a letter in a Silver Surfer, I believe ish 12