• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Boys - CANCELLED!!

45 posts in this topic

I have to say that while I read every issue, usually the first book off the stack that week, it was pretty gruesome. Aside from the heinous depictions of violence, scatology, and descriptions of deviant sex, all of which was fine, the coerced sex left me pretty skeeved out. I'd have to think that part didn't go over too well for a Time/Warner product, corporate awareness of sexual harassment being what it is.

I have to say that while I read every issue, usually the first book off the stack that week, it was pretty gruesome. Aside from the heinous depictions of violence, scatology, and descriptions of deviant sex, all of which was fine, the coerced sex left me pretty skeeved out . I'd have to think that part didn't go over too well for a Time/Warner product, corporate awareness of sexual harassment being what it is.

Yep, I have a feeling that was the problem as well crazy.gif

I have to say that while I read every issue, usually the first book off the stack that week, it was pretty gruesome. Aside from the heinous depictions of violence, scatology, and descriptions of deviant sex, all of which was fine, the coerced sex left me pretty skeeved out . I'd have to think that part didn't go over too well for a Time/Warner product, corporate awareness of sexual harassment being what it is.

Yep, I have a feeling that was the problem as well crazy.gif

Yep its not and SHOULD not be a children's comic---Just as the Punisher under th MAX imprint is not.

It could however, be a Vertigo title from DC

Looks like the book will be coming back soon, though!

It’s become obvious to all concerned that The Boys should never have been published at DC, and to their credit they’re working hard to release the rights so that Darick and I can find the book a new home. We’re already looking at offers from a number of publishers, and plan to return with #7 and the first trade collection in a matter of a few months.

Thank you to everyone who’s bought and supported The Boys to date. I’ve gotten a real kick out of the response we’ve gotten over the first six issues, and I’m looking forward to getting stuck into the next fifty-four. Believe me, what we’ve got coming up will make #1-6 look like a quiet evening on Sesame Street.

One other thing: I want to say thank you to Ben Abernathy, Scott Dunbier and Jim Lee for all their help and support. Good guys, pleasant to deal with, never anything less than gentlemen. I’m going to miss doing the book with them.

-Garth Ennis

http://pwbeat.publishersweekly.com/blog/2007/01/24/so-long-boys-enniss-statement/

It really sucks that DC backed out on this it seems like this book would bring a pretty healthy sales number for an indie company. And maybe all the rigamarole around this will draw some more readers to the book!

-Bob

893applaud-thumb.gif Awesome, thanks for posting this!!!

I was bummed when I heard the title was cancelled, but now I'm excited again yay.gif

Me to! yay.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif???? Every comic shop I stop in raves about the Boys and the amounts of new subscribers coming on board. I understand it is not a sales issue and yes this book was way over the top- but that's what I loved about it! I am not going to get too amped up though as issue #7 will come to light soon I am sure with all the fan support behind it. For anyone that has not read it, check out the back issues or trade if it becomes available, you will be thoroughly entertained or disgusted (no middle ground here!) though hopefully the former! Check out Newsarama'a postings on this issue to hear some folks say what's really on their mind!

sorry.gifWee Hughie- we hardly knew yee.

Good times!

yay.gifChris

As one who has never read Boys what's it about?

Don't say boys... poke2.gif

Is there a free issue on-line?

have you ever read Rick Veitch's "Bratpack?" kind of like that, only much different

Come on!!!!

We are talking about Garth frickin' Ennis here. It's not rocket science when you have Ennis saying it will beat Preacher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's going to be nasty. What did DC expect? Common sense should have made it a Vertigo book.

At least there is hope on the horizon.

Pat

SPOILER!!

I finally read #6. Now I can see why DC might have thought it was overboard.

A human woman is raped by an "alien". When she has her baby, the human womb isn't strong enough to house the baby. So, the baby kills the woman in-birth. The father proceeds to beat the baby to death with a lampost. But not before the baby scars the father with his "heat vision".

Come on, we all know he's talking about. I honestly don't think they cared about the hamster deal.

Pat

If Boys does not get picked up by another publisher, I WILL BE VERY BUMMED OUT! sumo.gif

One of the best comics out there about what some "real life" heroes would really act like since, as someone stated before, the Bratpack.

Christo_pull_hair.gif

It will be picked up by another publisher - just not Marvel/Max/Icon. And it will take several months to sort out contractual details & get it going again. It sounds very much like this is a book both Ennis & Robertson are committed to, so my expectations are high that it will be back (hopefully within the year).

That book was great. Keep your fingers crossed that someone else will pick it up. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Newsarama!

Newsarama has learned that Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson's The Boys will return to print shortly, this time, under the Dynamite Entertainment banner.

According to sources, Ennis and Robertson were contacted by many publishers when the news broke that their creator-owned series would no longer be published by Wildstorm, and at the end of the day, the best deal was struck with Dynamite. DC Comics, of which Wildstorm is an imprint, has apparently released the property to the creators, which will allow them to take it to the new home. Finally, Robertson, while exclusive to DC Comics, has already said that his contract allows him to pursue creator-owned work, which will include The Boys at its new home.

When reached for comment, Dynamite's Nick Barrucci told Newsarama:

"The Boys are at Dynamite. We are putting together our plans, and will give more information as soon as possible. In addition to Garth and Darick, I would like to thank DC Comics and everyone at Wildstorm Comics who helped to make the transition a smooth one for Garth and Darick. I also want to thank the fans who so vocally made their support known over the last few weeks and I ask them to stay tuned for news on the continuation. I promise it will be worth the wait, as Garth and Darick continue to deliver their vision of The Boys."

Judging from the latest sales numbers, after the move and if its DC numbers hold relatively steady, The Boys will be one of Dynamite's best-selling titles, as December's issue #6, Wildstorm's final issue, sold an estimated 27,000 copies, which is in the same ballpark as Dynamite's Red Sonja. Ennis and Robertsoin have said that they plan for the series to run roughly 60 issues - approximately five years.

No word was given on when Dynamite expects to resume publication of the series, or release the first trade paperback, which had already been solicited by Wildstorm. Dynamite did confirm for Newsarama that it will keep the cover price of The Boys at $2.99

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

That book was great. Keep your fingers crossed that someone else will pick it up. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Newsarama!

Newsarama has learned that Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson's The Boys will return to print shortly, this time, under the Dynamite Entertainment banner.

According to sources, Ennis and Robertson were contacted by many publishers when the news broke that their creator-owned series would no longer be published by Wildstorm, and at the end of the day, the best deal was struck with Dynamite. DC Comics, of which Wildstorm is an imprint, has apparently released the property to the creators, which will allow them to take it to the new home. Finally, Robertson, while exclusive to DC Comics, has already said that his contract allows him to pursue creator-owned work, which will include The Boys at its new home.

When reached for comment, Dynamite's Nick Barrucci told Newsarama:

"The Boys are at Dynamite. We are putting together our plans, and will give more information as soon as possible. In addition to Garth and Darick, I would like to thank DC Comics and everyone at Wildstorm Comics who helped to make the transition a smooth one for Garth and Darick. I also want to thank the fans who so vocally made their support known over the last few weeks and I ask them to stay tuned for news on the continuation. I promise it will be worth the wait, as Garth and Darick continue to deliver their vision of The Boys."

Judging from the latest sales numbers, after the move and if its DC numbers hold relatively steady, The Boys will be one of Dynamite's best-selling titles, as December's issue #6, Wildstorm's final issue, sold an estimated 27,000 copies, which is in the same ballpark as Dynamite's Red Sonja. Ennis and Robertsoin have said that they plan for the series to run roughly 60 issues - approximately five years.

No word was given on when Dynamite expects to resume publication of the series, or release the first trade paperback, which had already been solicited by Wildstorm. Dynamite did confirm for Newsarama that it will keep the cover price of The Boys at $2.99

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Outstanding news 893applaud-thumb.gifyay.gifheadbang.gif

This REALLY made my day cloud9.gif