• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Today's Gold is Silver....

118 posts in this topic

Why are we talking about silver age on the GA forums?
I imagine it's something to do with selling all of one's silver to buy more gold.

Or is that just me...?

I see Golden Age collectors as the ones who evolved. Honestly, how many GA collectors eventually take up collecting Silver? Usually it's the other way around. Folks started with what they might have been familiar with from their own childhood, then moved on to the wonders that preceeded them. There will always be more Silver collectors--think of it as a funnel.

Just my opinion, fwiw. 893blahblah.gif

I'm sure most of you would agree Silver is the most popular class in comics at this point in time. Some key reasons release of marvel movies this summer as well as the substantial price difference in the top 10 gold versus silver books. Whiz Comics #2 comes in at $88,000.00 verus Amazing Fantasy #15 at $43,000.00..this is a perfect example of how undervalued a silver age comic is compared to gold. Also there should be a substantial amount of gold collections coming to the table as more older collectors past on. I don't think CGC helps matters much either when they preach anything below a 9.4 isn't investment grade. This type of mentality has collectors paying way too much for a 9.6 versus 9.4...last maybe the new Wonder Woman movie will revive the Golden age..don't count on it slowing Spider-man down.

I started a thread on this subject about a year or two ago -- wish I could find it.

I have a slightly different take, but it had more to do with the fact that as the GA collectors get older, there are fewer new collectors to take their place and the value/demand will drop. Whereas the kids who collected SA still are strong and present in the marketplace and the new collectors who go for back issues clearly desire SA Marvels more than any other title.

I imagine it's something to do with selling all of one's silver to buy more gold.

Or is that just me...?

I see Golden Age collectors as the ones who evolved. Honestly, how many GA collectors eventually take up collecting Silver? Usually it's the other way around. Folks started with what they might have been familiar with from their own childhood, then moved on to the wonders that preceeded them. There will always be more Silver collectors--think of it as a funnel.

I think this is a very good observation. When you realize that SA Marvels, even in high grade, are fairly readily available, people who would like to make the hunt part of the equation start looking for GA or other hard to find books.

I don't think CGC helps matters much either when they preach anything below a 9.4 isn't investment grade.

Where does CGC preach that?

I spoke to the CGC's pedigree personel on Friday and they suggested that I have my books pre-graded, so that anything under investment grade 9.4 wouldn't be slabbed.

What era of books are you talking about? I highly doubt that anyone at CGC recommended that you only certify Gold or Silver Age that pre-grade at 9.4 or better.

Maybe you were talking about copper or modern?

no certain age was mentioned

If you mention the name of the person you talked to and it's Borock or Haspel or West and they confirm the full context of their remarks then I'll take the question seriously.

I'm sure most of you would agree Silver is the most popular class in comics at this point in time. Some key reasons release of marvel movies this summer as well as the substantial price difference in the top 10 gold versus silver books. Whiz Comics #2 comes in at $88,000.00 verus Amazing Fantasy #15 at $43,000.00..this is a perfect example of how undervalued a silver age comic is compared to gold. Also there should be a substantial amount of gold collections coming to the table as more older collectors past on. I don't think CGC helps matters much either when they preach anything below a 9.4 isn't investment grade. This type of mentality has collectors paying way too much for a 9.6 versus 9.4...last maybe the new Wonder Woman movie will revive the Golden age..don't count on it slowing Spider-man down.

I started a thread on this subject about a year or two ago -- wish I could find it.

I have a slightly different take, but it had more to do with the fact that as the GA collectors get older, there are fewer new collectors to take their place and the value/demand will drop.

I keep hoping! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I don't think CGC helps matters much either when they preach anything below a 9.4 isn't investment grade.

Where does CGC preach that?

I spoke to the CGC's pedigree personel on Friday and they suggested that I have my books pre-graded, so that anything under investment grade 9.4 wouldn't be slabbed.

What era of books are you talking about? I highly doubt that anyone at CGC recommended that you only certify Gold or Silver Age that pre-grade at 9.4 or better.

Maybe you were talking about copper or modern?

no certain age was mentioned

If you mention the name of the person you talked to and it's Borock or Haspel or West and they confirm the full context of their remarksit then I'll take the question seriously.

thumbsup2.gif

Does that mean that Superman 1 (golden age) will soon be overtaken in price by Superman 200?

Or is that just me...?

I think this is a very good observation. When you realize that SA Marvels, even in high grade, are fairly readily available, people who would like to make the hunt part of the equation start looking for GA or other hard to find books.

I do too. We have seen evidence of it here on the Boards. Several silver and bronze age addicts have crossed over to gold, for the "thrill of the hunt" if you will.

Or is that just me...?

I do too. We have seen evidence of it here on the Boards. Several silver and bronze age addicts have crossed over to gold, for the "thrill of the hunt" if you will.

Lets put it to the test?

Has CaptainTripps evolved into Goldenage.?

Or is that just me...?

Lets put it to the test?

Has CaptainTripps evolved into Goldenage.?

He was a major collector of pre-code horror but sold out as part of building his Marvel runs.

I actually meant did the top Silver age collector ever even think of evolvong into Goldenage? Tripps is the Top Silver age guy, right?

Tom Brulato. gossip.gif

Neither seem to have any interest in GA.

I understand that as they both lived through the silverage.

Awesome amount of Registry points .Beating out every Goldenage guy.

Just think if Andersons collection was in the Regisrty? I say 20 million points in a breeze and im probably underestimating that.

I actually meant did the top Silver age collector ever even think of evolvong into Goldenage? Tripps is the Top Silver age guy, right?

Tom Brulato. gossip.gif

Neither seem to have any interest in GA.

See post above about Tripps. He has stated he still likes the books but didn't have the funds to do both it and Marvels.

Newbs poke2.gif

I understand that as they both lived through the silverage.

Awesome amount of Registry points .Beating out every Goldenage guy.

Just think if Andersons collection was in the Registry? I say 20 million points in a breeze and im probably underestimating that.

Well sure, Anderson, Verzyl, Geppi and Kramer would all blow away all current Registry totals if they deigned to slab their collections. Look at where Comiclink sits in the Registry, based just on the Batman #1 (which I think really belongs to Kramer).