• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Today's Gold is Silver....

118 posts in this topic

Why dont you just do the right thing and conclude your transaction on books you were selling in the Marketplace confused-smiley-013.gif

You have people that bought books you were advertising for sale, you have people that you have purchased books from but have been ignoring them all sumo.gif

I think this guy is immune to polite browbeating. And if he leaves he'll just come back as another shill.

I think the only solution is for Foolkiller to hunt him down (like he did H2G) and permantly revoke his board pass.

sumo.gifsumo.gif

When you browse through a Copper or Modern most advertisement slated toward Video & role playing games and as the newer comics continue so do the ads with newer systems and role playing games. I love the GA and think it will always be the best overall with Batman & Human Torch...but I'm sure the majority rules and that would be the All New Generation!! So unless you can convert the young masses to lean toward GA, I don't see it calling the shots in 20 years. Remember Superman started off about corruption (the mob) in Cleveland, OH in the 1930's...Captain America was about WW II and Communism & so on. I don't think these topics are going to interest the new comic reader, so if it isn't about investing or the covers it's a dead issue. Also today's comics don't have Superman or Spiderman fighting off Islamic Fascists. If you did it wouldn't be politically correct and the ACLU would be causing a stir. It's a different time, sure a middle age SA collector can relate to GA and would buy a key GA for a ton, but will a Modern do the same? I don't think so.

That's Krazy...but I have to ask, do you really think original art is that much better investment than GA comics! foreheadslap.gif

And by the way, why are you posting here when you have this big pile of *spoon* to deal with in the Marketplace? mad.gif

The newbie ( LAstyle7 ) comes into our neighborhood, bragging how his bike is shinier and better than ours, so he has something like this comin'.

You don't see us going over to the Silver forum, starting threads about how great GA comics are, and stating that Silver is the new dog *spoon*.

So, this must feel like deja vu all over again for you, huh? crazy.gif

When you browse through a Copper or Modern most advertisement slated toward Video & role playing games and as the newer comics continue so do the ads with newer systems and role playing games. I love the GA and think it will always be the best overall with Batman & Human Torch...but I'm sure the majority rules and that would be the All New Generation!! So unless you can convert the young masses to lean toward GA, I don't see it calling the shots in 20 years. Remember Superman started off about corruption (the mob) in Cleveland, OH in the 1930's...Captain America was about WW II and Communism & so on. I don't think these topics are going to interest the new comic reader, so if it isn't about investing or the covers it's a dead issue. Also today's comics don't have Superman or Spiderman fighting off Islamic Fascists. If you did it wouldn't be politically correct and the ACLU would be causing a stir. It's a different time, sure a middle age SA collector can relate to GA and would buy a key GA for a ton, but will a Modern do the same? I don't think so.

That's Krazy...but I have to ask, do you really think original art is that much better investment than GA comics! foreheadslap.gif

And by the way, why are you posting here when you have this big pile of *spoon* to deal with in the Marketplace? mad.gif

I saw those threads as well. Which is why you don't see me posting any serious comments in this thread.

The newbie ( LAstyle7 ) comes into our neighborhood, bragging how his bike is shinier and better than ours, so he has something like this comin'.

You don't see us going over to the Silver forum, starting threads about how great GA comics are, and stating that Silver is the new dog *spoon*.

So, this must feel like deja vu all over again for you, huh? crazy.gif

Had to read this 3 times to "get it", and once I did all I can say is sign-funnypost.gif

First, pay your dues on the Marketplace. Word travels. 893naughty-thumb.gif

But the point we've (and maybe it's just I) being trying to make is that I/We are this new generation of comic collectors you keep talking about and I (being 29) am leaning more towards the GA books. So it seems that while the comic topics are not as fresh, the characters have certainly endure the longest. I'm not sure how to make that any more clear. confused-smiley-013.gif

First, pay your dues on the Marketplace. Word travels. 893naughty-thumb.gif

But the point we've (and maybe it's just I) being trying to make is that I/We are this new generation of comic collectors you keep talking about and I (being 29) am leaning more towards the GA books.

try teenagers...

*** You are ignoring this user ***

Wow, this is the first time I've ever had to use this function before. Even our most annoying GA posters weren't this unredeemably ignorant. This is a vast improvement.

I agree with whet, FWIW.

I don't know what you're getting at with 'teen agers.' I have yet to see ANY teen is a serious collector or has the means to be putting money into this kind of a hobby. Unless you count the numerous 16 year olds who seem to drop by here, post to buy a bunch of books and disappear. ( sounds familiar? ) I'm 22, and am leaning towards GA which suprised even me, and even worse I'm collecting GA for the covers.

It's laughable.

Teens having money for GA?

Keep grasping.

Teens have more money today than they have ever had. Whether it is "their" money or their parents' doesn't matter. I believe most PS/Wii whatever games cost $30 or more. I spend over $1,000 a month on different extra-curricular lessons/activities for my 2 pre-teen girls. Money is not the issue. It's whether GA appeals to teens (and 20-somethings) and whether they have sufficient exposure and access to it. I agree that teenagers on average don't have the aesthetic sensibilities to appreciate and want GA, but I do feel that many serious young comics collectors have the chance of warming to GA fairly quickly as GA continues to gain momentum and is discussed more frequently. Why has this GA forum grown tremendously this last year? Why all these new, fairly young GA collectors posting?

A video game is instant gratification at $30-$60 per game, many would actually have to save for a decent GA book, which is a stretch.

Lessons and activities are considered beneficial on many different levels, especially by a parent; apples to oranges comparison.

As far as the new GA collectors, the majority are not in their teens.

A video game is instant gratification at $30-$60 per game, many would actually have to save for a decent GA book, which is a stretch.

Many "decent" GA books are available for less than $60, and would constitute instant gratification. Seems you've equated "decent" with "expensive". I have bought a Mask 1 on these boards for $75, and have sold an Action 32 for $50.

Lessons and activities are considered beneficial on many different levels, especially by a parent; apples to oranges comparison.

The point is so much money is spent on or directly given to our kids. More than ever before. And BTW, I buy my pre-teen kids ~$30 of comics a month, and will be buying them some GA Archies they have specifically asked for. These books are beneficial on many levels.

no one ever said the majority were teens. I said money was not the major issue.

Many "decent" GA books are available for less than $60, and would constitute instant gratification. Seems you've equated "decent" with "expensive". I have bought a Mask 1 on these boards for $75, and have sold an Action 32 for $50.

The point is so much money is spent on or directly given to our kids. More than ever before. And BTW, I buy my pre-teen kids ~$30 of comics a month, and will be buying them some GA Archies they have specifically asked for. These books are beneficial on many levels.

no one ever said the majority were teens. I said money was not the major issue.

I think money IS a major issue, until you're done testing the waters. GA automatically gives the impression of being very pricey because those books get all the spotlight.

it may seem that way, but when you realize you can get a 5.0 1945 Joker cover detective for the same price as a 9.6 House oF Mystery from the early 70's, it sure wakes you up!

True, but it is until you do look into that whole side of the mid-grade market of GA you never know how inexpensive some issues are. For the kids thinking of picking up a GA book most of what they see is the high grade books or keys being touted in the OSPG and seeing how expensive they are that puts them off a little bit. To use your example, how often do you see them making mention of a 5.0 Joker cover and what it went for as opposed to say a tec #38 in 6.0 (to use the last OSPG) ?

It really is a combination of both your post and sid's that bets explains it.

It's places like here that helps inform them of the possibilities and draws them in.