• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I REALLY WANT THE SUSPENSE #3, BUT MY WIFE WILL KILL ME!

198 posts in this topic

Had a copy of suspense 3 years ago and after it went crazy I tried to sell it and had the damndest time getting anybody to pay 2K for a copy that looked much better than the recent one listed, though it was missing the interior page so often missing. People obsessed over that missing page like you wouldn't believ, even tnough the cover was complete and looked very nice. I find it interesting that even while people acknowledge the cover is the only thing that makes it valuable,they are less bothered by the pieces missing from the cover of this copu than they were by the missing interior page from my copy. Seems to defy common sense in my view. Seems like the part that maes it valuable should be the part you care most about.

I hear you bluechip...I think one reason may be how CGC treats a missing page ( assuming your perspective buyers were thinking about having your book slabbed if they bought it ). A missing page is an automatic Poor .05 if memory serves me correctly. A Suspense 3 with a missing interior page should be cherrished ( as its cover is its greatness), and kept raw to avoid the "stigma" of the .05

Generally I think you're right. Though I undestand CGC has given SOME but not all copies with missing pages a qualified grade instead of an automatic poor. Which they do depends on criteria not easily identified because it's not always consistent. The most logicial reason weould be that the missing page is from a non-story part of the book or at least a non-essential story. (i,e a backup story from an action or detective). But when it comes to books like suspense 3 every page is a non-essential page.

You shoul've seen the way people hemmed and hawed over that book when I offered it. Not that they ciouldn't understand the value lay in the cover, but that they feared somebody else (lie CGC or some future buyer) would label it poor and that the guide would be low and that it would technically be worth less. Sometimes we blame people for illogical attitudes. But more often it's logical people fearing the reprercussions of other people's illigocal attitudes.

I feel something similar happens when a book gets PLOD'ed for having a small amount of color touch on the cover. The book gets an automatic touch of death from buyers to the point where a purple label 9.2 cost about the same as a blue label 6.0. To me, it defies logic.

I feel something similar happens when a book gets PLOD'ed for having a small amount of color touch on the cover. The book gets an automatic touch of death from buyers to the point where a purple label 9.2 cost about the same as a blue label 6.0. To me, it defies logic.

Then I guess you're looking at a buyer's market!

Then I guess you're looking at a buyer's market!

Indeed!!! grin.gif

My biggest problem at the moment is not having enough money to buy all that I want. sorry.gif

Ok, so just for fun lets see who can guess the amount this copy will go for!

I will put my hat in at....mmmm $3185.00

What say you! I think the boards helped the last auction, but I know I have cooled for the book. Not to say I don't want one, but I can wait.

Had a copy of suspense 3 years ago and after it went crazy I tried to sell it and had the damndest time getting anybody to pay 2K for a copy that looked much better than the recent one listed, though it was missing the interior page so often missing. People obsessed over that missing page like you wouldn't believ, even tnough the cover was complete and looked very nice.

Bluechip;

What page was missing from the book?

From your statement, it appears to be a common occurrence that this particular page would be missing from copies of Suspense #3. Is there any reason for this since I just find it strange that a particular page would be missing from many copies of the same book? confused.gif

A glued in insert if I recall - actually more than 1 page - is supposedly missing from a number of copies. While I understand the desirability of complete copies - if ever the condition of the front cover were the paramount factor in determining value - Suspense #3 would be the book.

I had a very low grade copy of SUSPENSE #3 that was missing the insert, and I believe it was 4 pages.

what would a cgc 3.0 copy go for. unrestored and restored slightly professional? suspense 3 is one of my all time favorite covers, and while i won't be buying one anytime soon, i would like one at some point in my life.

The seller says the book has 56 pages. I'm not familiar with the page count on Continental Comics, so is this book complete or not?

Grand Comics Database says 60 pages, so assuming that they count the cover as four pages (which I believe they do), it's complete.

what would a cgc 3.0 copy go for. unrestored and restored slightly professional? suspense 3 is one of my all time favorite covers, and while i won't be buying one anytime soon, i would like one at some point in my life.

In my opinion a CGC 3.0 if clean cover would go from 6 to 8K on a good day, and on a really good day 10K at least by recent auction standards.

:bump:

You know, I really should be working right now, but you guys talked me into it. Here's the Windex Scarcity Index for the full run of Suspense Comics:

1.... 18

2.... 14

3.... 19

4.... 20

5.... 14

6.... 12

7.... 10

8.... 12

9.... 10

10.. 11

11.. 8

12.. 13

#4 is the toughest, and #1 and #3 are also tricky. Interestingly enough, issues #1 and #8 (the spider cover) qualify in the very tiny subset of comics that have quite a few slabbed but very few sold. Other comics in that subset include All-American #61, Action #13, Sub-Mariner #13, and Wonder Comics #1 (Fox). I find that subset to include some of the most highly collectible of all comics, because it implies people refuse to let their copies go no matter what the price.