• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I REALLY WANT THE SUSPENSE #3, BUT MY WIFE WILL KILL ME!

198 posts in this topic

$4500???? What's its significance?
Speaking of jokes...Or are you really asking?

No I don't have an Overstreet Guide in front of me. I never collected GA books so my knowledge of them is limited to Action #1, Tec 27, and maybe a couple of others...Ignorance is NOT bliss which is why I'm asking a question to which I don't know the answer...If you want to imply I'm an idjit because I don't know a specific bit of comic lore, then that's your problem...

No I don't have an Overstreet Guide in front of me. I never collected GA books so my knowledge of them is limited to Action #1, Tec 27, and maybe a couple of others...Ignorance is NOT bliss which is why I'm asking a question to which I don't know the answer...If you want to imply I'm an idjit because I don't know a specific bit of comic lore, then that's your problem...

The cover, man. It's a freakin awesome cover.

The cover, man. It's a freakin awesome cover.

Thanks man! thumbsup2.gif Figured it might be an artist or something but I wasn't sure, so I asked...

Oh, I get it, naw don't own the book never have, If I did I wouldn't sell it, absolutely love the cover, but with Schomburg signature area torn, and detatched cover, and centerfold....To rich for me. I see that metro has two copies, a resto VG, and CGC 6.5 for crazy mad money. For me I will wait till I can find the right copy for the right price.

Does anyone know if someone on the boards won it?

Paul

Oh, I get it, naw don't own the book never have, If I did I wouldn't sell it, absolutely love the cover, but with Schomburg signature area torn, and detatched cover, and centerfold....To rich for me. I see that metro has two copies, a resto VG, and CGC 6.5 for crazy mad money. For me I will wait till I can find the right copy for the right price.

Does anyone know if someone on the boards won it?

Paul

We actually have 3 copies on the site. 1 restored asnd 2 unrestored. All of which are better deals than a F/G for $4500.00

S

No no no...if I was implying you're an idjit I'd not have implied it I would have SAID it. Which is why I asked if you were really asking. I guess I should have used a smiley...

Suspense 3 is one of the most iconic (and lurid) GA covers out there. It is SUPER hard to find with the insert that this issue had. Plus it looked better than one that just went for bucks not too long ago at Heritage. It's a grail book for a lot of folks.

Suspense 3 is one of the most iconic (and lurid) GA covers out there. It is SUPER hard to find with the insert that this issue had. Plus it looked better than one that just went for bucks not too long ago at Heritage. It's a grail book for a lot of folks.

I know a lot of collectors do like the cover...but it never did anything for me. The cover just looks like an average GA cover in my opinion. confused-smiley-013.gif

I know a lot of collectors do like the cover...but it never did anything for me. The cover just looks like an average GA cover in my opinion. confused-smiley-013.gif

It is a true GA classic cover GRAIL.......but the beauty of our hobby is the different likes and dislikes from collector to collector. If we all liked the same book, it sure would be expensive!!!

Anyone that thinks this is a lurid cover, or that any comic cover is incredibly lurid, needs to check out the pulp cousins of the comics. There were some outrageously nasty covers on particular titles, and they are quite a bargain as compared to Suspense Comics 3.

It is a true GA classic cover GRAIL.......but the beauty of our hobby is the different likes and dislikes from collector to collector. If we all liked the same book, it sure would be expensive!!!

Showcase-4;

I agree with you that this is a really nice cover.

But as I have stated before in the past, this cover would be even more spectacular if the cover design was more original. It appears to be a more refined and polished version of the cover image that appears on Suspense Comics #1. 893whatthe.gif

I'll probably get some flak for this, but just look at the placement of the hero, the overhead moon in the background, the villians, and the damsel in distress. Similar design, except that one cover is probably better drafted than the other one. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Isn't the main thing with Suspense #3 that it's got a lurid cover AND it's relatively scarce? I recall reading somewhere that distribution was somewhat limited, maybe because many retailers refused to stock such a lurid cover. I heard that there is no Suspense #3 in the Church collection, for instance, which is really amazing considering how much other stuff managed to make its way to Edgar local store.

Besides the D copy, are there any other known pedigree copies of the book?

Showcase-4;

I agree with you that this is a really nice cover.

But as I have stated before in the past, this cover would be even more spectacular if the cover design was more original. It appears to be a more refined and polished version of the cover image that appears on Suspense Comics #1. 893whatthe.gif

I'll probably get some flak for this, but just look at the placement of the hero, the overhead moon in the background, the villians, and the damsel in distress. Similar design, except that one cover is probably better drafted than the other one. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

There are some similar elements between #3 and #1, but there is no way you can even say that #3 is a swipe of #1.

Isn't the main thing with Suspense #3 that it's got a lurid cover AND it's relatively scarce? I recall reading somewhere that distribution was somewhat limited, maybe because many retailers refused to stock such a lurid cover. I heard that there is no Suspense #3 in the Church collection, for instance, which is really amazing considering how much other stuff managed to make its way to Edgar local store.

Tim;

From an actual scarcity point of view, I believe issue #4 is supposed to be the toughest of the lot to find.

Centaurman: Would you have a Windex Scarcity Index for this run yet?

Tim;

From an actual scarcity point of view, I believe issue #4 is supposed to be the toughest of the lot to find.

Centaurman: Would you have a Windex Scarcity Index for this run yet?

Yes 4 is a tougher book. I know there are over 40+ copies of Suspense 3. I can't say the same for Suspense 4. But then it doesn't go for the uber bucks like 3 either.

I love the 3. I also agree that there are some under appreciated pulps that can give it a run for its money.

Tim;

My point was that this book rates high on a combined desirability AND scarcity scale (although to be honest I think the cover is way over-rated, but that's just me). I assume the #4 cover doesn't generate the same kind of passion among collectors, so notwithstanding its greater scarcity doesn't generate the same kind of attention (or $$$) that #3 does.

My point was that this book rates high on a combined desirability AND scarcity scale (although to be honest I think the cover is way over-rated, but that's just me). I assume the #4 cover doesn't generate the same kind of passion among collectors, so notwithstanding its greater scarcity doesn't generate the same kind of attention (or $$$) that #3 does.

Yup, gotta just be you. Suspense # 3 came in # 1 in the Non Super-Hero category in our first annual survey - NSH Results poke2.gif

gossip.gif I'm not sure I put it in my Top 10 either.

I really wish the Suspense 3 cover had the same full-bleed cover with superimposed title logo that #8 has.

I have seen a few copies of issue #8 with the classic spider cover available in the marketplace over the past several years. Don't remember any high grade copies off the top of my head however.

Anybody know if there are other HG pedigree copies of this book out there or is the Church copy the only real one out there?