• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,845 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, EC Star&Bar said:

Oh yeah, I much prefer the original coloring as compared with the new colors when that GL cover appeared on Showcase Presents Green Lantern #4 (2009).

It seems to me that DC had much better aesthetics and coloring schemes to their covers overall in the Silver Age. 

Well would you look at the time Flash Fans! We are already on page 162!? Lets dig those 162's out, dust 'em off and get 'em ready for the scanner. Meet you back here tomorrow to share. Same Flash time, same Flash channel. 

On 7/8/2020 at 12:46 PM, JohnH19 said:

One more cover of a superhero calling it quits. Sorry that it isn’t Flash or even DC related but it is the greatest comic book cover ever.:cloud9:

B29F4536-78BA-4A10-A4F3-94A20F41CE07.thumb.jpeg.dfdca0d61415ec936f3854a4c0c89464.jpeg

Very nice copy. Funny thing is that was the book that caused me to drop ASM. I think Stan dropped every good idea he had from 39-49, and those issues finish an extraordinary run. King Pin went onto become a major villain but was just not something this 13 year old was ready for.

Edited by Terry E. Gibbs

11 hours ago, Jaylam said:

It seems to me that DC had much better aesthetics and coloring schemes to their covers overall in the Silver Age. 

I think Infantino and Kane can take some of the credit Especially Cinf. As many of you know he left Flash to become something like the art director. (Sure that had something to do with Gil jumping to Marvel). At home, in his own time he did his cover versions for many of the books DC had published and showed them to management. They then put him on cover design, kind of why many of his covers and cover designs turned up for Wonder Woman and especially Justice League. These days it is very common for one artist to do covers (for some it is all they do) while others do the panel pages. Back in the 60s it was very rare.

Edited by Terry E. Gibbs

and onto 162. Only 12 to go..Wow those colours and gloss have sure stood up to the test of time.Been with me long enough to get long service leave,twice. 38 years. Read this to death when I had the B & W edition so think I have only ever read this particular book once.

DSC05968.JPG

DSC05969.JPG

Edited by Terry E. Gibbs

On 7/8/2020 at 10:08 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

and onto 162. Only 12 to go..Wow those colours and gloss have sure stood up to the test of time.Been with me long enough to get long service leave,twice. 38 years. Read this to death when I had the B & W edition so think I have only ever read this particular book once.

DSC05968.JPG

DSC05969.JPG

Such a great splash page there!

Still thinking about running a contest for the one who guesses what my last issue will be to complete the run. I'm putting together a prize package of Flashy goodness as we speak for the winner. I will post an updated list of the remaining issues soon...getting very close Flash Fans!

2 hours ago, flashlites said:

Still thinking about running a contest for the one who guesses what my last issue will be to complete the run. I'm putting together a prize package of Flashy goodness as we speak for the winner. I will post an updated list of the remaining issues soon...getting very close Flash Fans!

:takeit: I am still going with SC4, it is an easy out, good luck in your hunt.

2 hours ago, flashlites said:

I know most of you are kinda counting down to 174, which is the only issue in the next 100 or so that I still don't have. Maybe I'll get one by then?

we have slowed down a lot so, then next 12 will require teamwork and resolve. Right now I am looking at the teasers of Josh Williamson's, finale. To say I am excited maybe an understatement. He has gradually built to something that both new fans and old fans can enjoy. (now is someone who grew up with Wally West a new fan or an old fan - I am thinking new fan still. ) As a rusted on old fan I am loving it. I am not sure if this means that with 101 issues Josh overtakes Broome as a writer. I am guessing he has written more pages but not sure about stories as so many of Johns stories were half book length and he could have two in one book. Hmmm maybe when I have time lol:idea:

Edited by Terry E. Gibbs

1 hour ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

I am guessing he has written more pages but not sure about stories as so many of Johns stories were half book length and he could have two in one book. Hmmm maybe when I have time

Yes you would have to count those as separate stories.  

Here's what's left Flash Fans (besides the showcase issues): 106, 110,111, 112, 117, 135, 174, 267, 275, 276, 277, 278, 279, 280, 281, 282, 341, 342, 343, 344.

There are others missing at the moment but I am in the process of buying them : 140 is on lay-a-way and 314, 315, 316, 317, 323, 324, 345, 346, 348 I have promised to buy, so you can count them out.  With these purchases in process I will not be hunting for any new comics for another month or two maybe more. Realistically I would think completing the run will likely take me into next year, but you never know. The fever is upon me and the finish line is in sight.

Here's what I have for so far for the prizes if you can guess what will be the last Flash issue for me to complete the run 105-350 (and yes Terry, I looked into it international shipping would be about $26, I will ship it to you if you can guess correctly, I know you want that Hershey bar:banana:)

image.thumb.png.14034e0f97396c0a8956bb52c84d4396.png

The Flash 123 and Flash 1 from the 80's are reproductions, but how about that B&B Flash/Doom Patrol that's pure Silver Age Sweetness! I will add more to the pile, I just have to dig through a few boxes. And I'm throwing in a 25$ gift card!

Do I have any volunteers to handle the guessing away from my eyes for the next several months? PM me and lets set it up! This should be kinda fun for us! Just 20 issues to go, maybe you could pick 5 each? We can think of something to make it interesting.

Edited by flashlites

On 7/13/2020 at 7:13 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Right now I am looking at the teasers of Josh Williamson's, finale. To say I am excited maybe an understatement. He has gradually built to something that both new fans and old fans can enjoy.

I'm on 753 of the current run so I have so reading to do to get caught up but i'm actually liking the story line! I loved the montage in 750! A story for each decade of the Flash! They must have had so much fun writing each era and they captured the story styles pretty well from decade to decade I thought!