• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
25 25

4,848 posts in this topic

On 6/25/2021 at 9:43 PM, Math Teacher said:

I would really love to get a SC #4, but I think I would have to sell a big book to afford it. I contemplate selling my IH #181 on a regular basis, perhaps to buy a SC #4 or an issue from Captain America #1 - #10. I do a lot of contemplating, but I never seem to be able to pull the trigger.

Speaking from experience, do it.

2 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

I picked this up from Instagram earlier this week. It's a 2.0, which is hard to see due to my lousy picture-taking skills. I only have four Rogues to go: Weather Wizard (Flash #110), Captain Boomerang (Flash #117), Professor Zoom (Flash #139), and Heat Wave (Flash #140).

Flash105.jpg.32cae12849ae9663112b6352cc836de1.jpg

Nice catch! Love that issue! Congratulations!!!:banana::banana::banana: That's a triple dancing banana event!

I am loving seeing all you guys building your collections!!! Great stuff! Ground breaking iconic character! The best Rouges in all of comics! Great stories and great art! Just think if Flash had not been reinvented there would not have been a Silver Age of comics. It's likely comics would have devolved and maybe even ceased to exist by the end of the 1960's. Flash started it all, rebooted the entire medium! Flash Fans are the best!

1 hour ago, flashlites said:

I am loving seeing all you guys building your collections!!! Great stuff! Ground breaking iconic character! The best Rouges in all of comics! Great stories and great art! Just think if Flash had not been reinvented there would not have been a Silver Age of comics. It's likely comics would have devolved and maybe even ceased to exist by the end of the 1960's. Flash started it all, rebooted the entire medium! Flash Fans are the best!

@flashlites, I respect your enthusiasm in regard to the Flash Rogues. But I would argue that Spider-Man has the best villains. I have changed my mind. The Fantastic Four has the best villains.

In the first twenty issues of Fantastic Four, the Mole Man, the Skrulls, Sub-Mariner, Dr. Doom, Puppet Master, The Impossible Man, The Watcher, The Red Ghost, The Thinker and his Awesome Android, The Super-Skrull, Rama-Tut (aka Kang), and The Molecule Man. And this isn't even counting The Frightful Four, The Silver Surfer, Galactus, and The Black Panther. There are definitely some high-impact villains (Skrulls, Sub-Mariner, Dr. Doom, The Silver Surfer, and Galactus).

In the first twenty issues of Spider-Man, the following villains were introduced: The Chameleon, The Vulture, Dr. Octopus, Sandman, The Lizard, Electro, Mysterio, The Green Goblin, Kraven the Hunter, and the Scorpion. And that's not even counting The Kingpin, The Punisher, The Black Cat, Venom, and Carnage.

It took 35+ issues of The Flash to completely introduce the Rogues Gallery: Captain Cold, Mr. Element/Dr. Alchemy, The Mirror Master, Grodd, The Pied Piper, The Weather Wizard, The Trickster, Captain Boomerang, The Top, Abra Kadabra, Professor Zoom, and Heat Wave.

When I started this post, I didn't realize how close the FF, Spider-Man, and the Flash were in regard to villains. You know, these three are so close, let's just call it a tie between the FF, Spider-Man, and the Flash. It takes great villains by great creators to have a great super-hero!

Edited by Math Teacher

On 7/4/2021 at 3:00 PM, Math Teacher said:

@flashlites, I respect your enthusiasm in regard to the Flash Rogues. But I would argue that Spider-Man has the best villains. I have changed my mind. The Fantastic Four has the best villains.

In the first twenty issues of Fantastic Four, the Mole Man, the Skrulls, Sub-Mariner, Dr. Doom, Puppet Master, The Impossible Man, The Watcher, The Red Ghost, The Thinker and his Awesome Android, The Super-Skrull, Rama-Tut (aka Kang), and The Molecule Man. And this isn't even counting The Frightful Four, The Silver Surfer, Galactus, and The Black Panther. There are definitely some high-impact villains (Skrulls, Sub-Mariner, Dr. Doom, The Silver Surfer, and Galactus).

In the first twenty issues of Spider-Man, the following villains were introduced: The Chameleon, The Vulture, Dr. Octopus, Sandman, The Lizard, Electro, Mysterio, The Green Goblin, Kraven the Hunter, and the Scorpion. And that's not even counting The Kingpin, The Punisher, The Black Cat, Venom, and Carnage.

It took 35+ issues of The Flash to completely introduce the Rogues Gallery: Captain Cold, Mr. Element/Dr. Alchemy, The Mirror Master, Grodd, The Pied Piper, The Weather Wizard, The Trickster, Captain Boomerang, The Top, Abra Kadabra, Professor Zoom, and Heat Wave.

When I started this post, I didn't realize how close the FF, Spider-Man, and the Flash were in regard to villains. You know, these three are so close, let's just call it a tie between the FF, Spider-Man, and the Flash. It takes great villains by great creators to have a great super-hero!

Firstly I am incredibly biased here. I had never given FF much thought on this, I had always sort of thought of them as not criminals, as in rob banks, but "I want to rule the world - or eat it" sort of guys. I think Spidey's villains are closer, and of course Batman's legion of fans will dispute any other claim. 

I will make a couple of points for Flashes Rogues.

1/ None of them are super powered, bitten by a whatever, had something gone wrong with some tech (Doc Ock and Scorpion). Spidey's have a very good mix, of accidents, giving powers, and guy with tech, Kraven, Mysterio, & Goblin. All Flashes Rogues, are "working class guys - but with genius intellect". Gave writers lots of scope.

2/Flashes Rogues are colorful. Lizard, Doc Ock must have been in the drabbest green the colorist could find. Infantino gave his guys all very original style costumes, and then gave them a tailor to make them.,

3/ FF and Spidey had lots of villain stories, but they don't dominate that first 74 issues like Flashe's. I think there were over 54 Rogues stories in those first 74 issues. They dominate the comic. (granted there were a lot more stories than 74 as they often had two per issue, but for fans, you could almost always count on a colourful super villain if you bought Flash.

4/ and lastly they teamed up way before any other group of villains. Cold Trickster in 129, Cold & Heatwave in 140 & 166 the original six Rogues in 155, 174. By that stage they had established they were a informal team, which carried right through the back story of the Trial of Barry Allen, so granted other heroes have a Rogues Gallery, no other hero has a group of villains, now which predominately work as a group. Their appearances in that group far outweigh their original individual appearances. When someone says  "the Rogues" most of us know exactly who they mean.

BUT as I said I am biased. This is never an argument to get into with a BAT fan.

I will certainly commend you on your Flash knowledge, you nailed their appearance order.

1 hour ago, Math Teacher said:

how often to you get a chance to buy a legitimate piece of comic book history?

Yep, not just another key, not just another first appearance but the first original super hero on the silver age when everyone including Stan thought they were dead. When he came out it was Mort Wessinger wringing out every angle he could get on Superman, westerns, romance, war, (and more westerns - some very good, Johnny Thunder with Madam 44 was excellent) but if you wanted a super hero you had Batman and Robin fighting Aliens, Super man doing morality stories and Wonder Woman.

There is Tec 27, All Star 3, Action 1, and SC4.

and it was so good, we are still living in the silver age of comics.

Thank you Julie, thank you Carmine (and Kanigher Broome, and Fox)

and congrats on getting this book.

13 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

I purchased this last week from PopsComicBooks@gmail.com " last week, and it arrived on Monday. I have been so busy that I didn't get around to opening it until this morning. It may take me some time to sell my IH #181 and my GSXM #1 so I can repay our HELO account. Sooner or later, they will sell. Besides, how often to you get a chance to buy a legitimate piece of comic book history?

Showcase4.thumb.jpg.4496e3ef7b2d32d7706a09925858a2f6.jpg

FYI - I tripled-posted this, because I am SUPER excited to have this book!

AMAZING!!!!! Congratulations a thousand times over!!! You are a very, very fortunate Flash Fan Indeed! - I'm going to try this, its never been attempted before but I feel it is warranted, the ultimate - quadruple dancing bananas :banana::banana::banana::banana:

14 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

I purchased this last week from PopsComicBooks@gmail.com " last week, and it arrived on Monday. I have been so busy that I didn't get around to opening it until this morning. It may take me some time to sell my IH #181 and my GSXM #1 so I can repay our HELO account. Sooner or later, they will sell. Besides, how often to you get a chance to buy a legitimate piece of comic book history?

Holy Grail for Silver age Flash collectors well done :luhv:

13 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

Congrats on getting one of the best! I try to imagine the world in 1956. Must have been something to see the comics on the newsstands in those days. The beginning of the Silver Age must have been an incredible time for kids. I remember as a kid going to the newsstand in the late 70s and expecting to see superhero comics on the entire rack. Outside of the Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman “family” books, kids wouldn’t know what to expect during the years of 1956-1960. We collectors owe so much to DC for starting the second great age of the American Comic Book. Kids started to see new heroes and superheroes brought to them by Schwartz, Carmine Infantino, Broome, Kubert, Kirby, Swan, Sekowsky, Gil Kane, Grandenetti, Kanigher, Plastino, Murphy Anderson, Giella, Jack Adler, Ramona Fradon, and Russ Heath. What a time the early Silver Age was! 

18 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

Fantastic. I doubt you'll have much trouble selling the IH 181.
;)

8 hours ago, flashlites said:

AMAZING!!!!! Congratulations a thousand times over!!! You are a very, very fortunate Flash Fan Indeed! - I'm going to try this, its never been attempted before but I feel it is warranted, the ultimate - quadruple dancing bananas :banana::banana::banana::banana:

I am truly honored!