• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
25 25

4,848 posts in this topic

On 8/5/2021 at 8:17 AM, flashlites said:

Hey there Flash Fans! For all of you that followed along with me as I completed my Silver Age run last year here's an update: Although my run was technically complete my copy of 107 was a coverless copy. I am happy to announce I now have one with a cover! Not only that take a peak inside and look what I found! :cloud9:

image.png.b772e967286d3f0b3466a6b14afc236d.png

image.thumb.png.abc8e459079aa41633b668f93637afac.png

Some of you may recognize that scratchy autograph? :cloud9:

On 8/5/2021 at 10:12 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Wow, not many of those around. I have seen a few"Infantino's",(very few) , but only one with Carmine attached.

Did you know it was signed. Are you thinking of sending it to CBSC for verification.

and simply CONGRATS, :headbang:

I did not know it was signed when I bought it. I was floored, as I have see his autograph on several items and recognized it right away. It must have been signed in the 70's or early 80's (My best guess anyway) as there was a big stigma back in those days about signatures on covers of comics. We used to grade down for it. I am kinda thinking about getting it authenticated but I don't know. Just very happy to finally have a 107 with a cover on it. This was just an amazing bonus! I wish I could have met Mr. Infantino and of course Mr. Broome. This will have to do as sadly, they have both passed on now.

Edited by flashlites

On 8/7/2021 at 12:22 PM, Math Teacher said:

I picked up Flash #110 during the last week of July from Shortboxed.

Flash117.jpg.d35d2126e4641f622ebf9a1a3f5ccad0.jpg

I purchased this book this week. Thanks to @GACollectiblesfor selling this to me!

Flash110.thumb.jpg.0b27416683cac6ba29463cafb651f1c7.jpg

Now, I only have four of Flash's Rogues to collect - Captain Cold, Mr. Element, Professor Zoom, and Heat Wave.

Nice solid copies of both!!! And 2 great keys, congratulations!!!:banana::banana::banana:

Really nice colours on that 110, both very nice books. Do you have 114, Cold's first cover ? SC8 is first appearance, but like GL 7 and Hawkman 4 and even FF 48 no indication of the main breakthrough character inside.

Flash 140 has been growing for quite a while now. Right now moved from just another Rogues issue to definitely a minor key.

On 8/22/2021 at 11:29 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Don't think I shared this as I seemed to get on board late and this was an  early 2019 buy. first Grodd cover and I much prefer the inside Grodd art, that cover image is not one of Carmine's best gorillas.

DSC04992.JPG

DSC04993.JPG

Wow, super-nice looking book. Amazing find for a raw copy.

I do agree, Grodd looks kind of goofy on the cover. The presentation is just off somehow. The Grodd on the cover of #172 however, really captures his essence and is an all time classic in my opinion.

On 8/23/2021 at 11:12 AM, flashlites said:

We've been over this before but Grodd should have been on the cover of 107. I can't believe it took 20 more issues for him to make a cover appearance??!!

That seemed to happen quite a bit with first appearances not being on the cover or even mentioned. I don't get what the thinking was unless a lot of covers were drawn up before the entire contents of the book were known at the time.  

On 8/23/2021 at 5:22 PM, Jaylam said:

That seemed to happen quite a bit with first appearances not being on the cover or even mentioned. I don't get what the thinking was unless a lot of covers were drawn up before the entire contents of the book were known at the time.  

Also, if I remember correctly, covers would be drawn and then be used to generate story ideas.

I think that was part of the very early period and you can sort of see that in Flash 107-120 a lot, 107,108,111,115,118, etc and same in GL 2,3,4,5 etc.

After that they appear more direct to the story. Not sure about 123, as I heard Carmine did that one and gave it to Julie as a challenge, but knowing Fox and how he was so link with that Golden age I am not sure that is the full story.

On 8/24/2021 at 1:12 AM, flashlites said:

We've been over this before but Grodd should have been on the cover of 107. I can't believe it took 20 more issues for him to make a cover appearance??!!

There were two British Flash series both very short. Here is the second series 1#. This is taken from the splash to 106 with the tree that partially obscured Flash on the left taken out. I do have it but could not remember where, this is one of a friends old copies. To me much better Grodd than 127.

British Flash 1 (Top Sellers).jpg

Edited by Terry E. Gibbs

On 8/25/2021 at 10:15 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

There were two British Flash series both very short. Here is the second series 1#. This is taken from the splash to 106 with the tree that partially obscured Flash on the left taken out. I do have it but could not remember where, this is one of a friends old copies. To me much better Grodd than 127.

British Flash 1 (Top Sellers).jpg

I love this copy!!! I need one!!! Did not even know it existed! Thanks Terry as always, you are truly the master of all things Flash, always willing to share your vast knowledge and experience. I really need to look into some of these international editions and start going after them.