• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will I be able to afford these within the next 5-10 years?

43 posts in this topic

interesting example. I'd buy slight CT books all day long for 1/7th guide...

what do you feel is the true market value of books with slight CT? My gut is that the closer you get to G / VG condition, the less it matters. I understand why it would turn away high grade collectors, though.

5 years

Albedo #2 1,000.00

Amazing Fantasy #15 100,000

Detective Comics # 13, 18, 31 5,000 each

Great Comics #3 5,000

Punch Comics #12 25,000

Shock Suspenstories #6 10,000

Suspense Comics #3, 11 #3 100,000 # 11 $5,000

10 years

Albedo #2 $100.00

Amazing Fantasy #15 $400,000

Detective Comics # 13, 18, 31 $5,000 each

Great Comics #3 $10,000

Punch Comics #12 $50,000

Suspense Comics #3, 11 # 3 $250,000, # 11 $10,000

as for restoration, buy encapsulated copies (graded by CGC) , from reputable dealers, and you can't go wrong.

I would recommend you forget the other books and line up an Amazing Fantasy 15 as soon as possible. This is the book to get for the silver age and cross culture popularity. Once you cycle through a couple AF 15's then you'll be able to afford a few more of the books you want. Get yourself on Heritage Comics' Auctions want list service and you will see books coming up and you can build a record of sales, like shadowing the stock market.

Then as you manage not to have too much personal overhead, condo,chrysler 300, wife, ex wife(ves) girlfriend, mistress, kids, natural disater, etc you should be ok.

10 years

....and exactly where in 10 years is this collector going to find his copy of Tec 31 for just $5,000 ??????????

PR 0.5 coverless. makepoint.gif

5 years

Albedo #2 1,000.00

Amazing Fantasy #15 100,000

Detective Comics # 13, 18, 31 5,000 each

Great Comics #3 5,000

Punch Comics #12 25,000

Suspense Comics #3, 11 #3 100,000 # 11 $5,000

10 years

Albedo #2 $100.00

Amazing Fantasy #15 $400,000

Great Comics #3 $10,000

Punch Comics #12 $50,000

Suspense Comics #3, 11 # 3 $250,000, # 11 $10,000

What grades are you contemplating for these books? I'd love to tell my wife that my Great Comics 3 in VG is going to be worth $5,000 in five years, but I'm not convinced of it myself.

I missed that you had Suspense Comics #11 listed on there. While it's far from my favorite L.B. Cole cover (and second to Suspense #8 in my opinion in that series), I think you could get a very nice copy of this book for under $1000. As far as LB Cole goes, now is the time to buy. Prices are very depressed on books featuring his covers as compared to ten years ago. Collectors are bound to re-discover him and that sub $1000 book is going to look like a bargain.

Hi everybody,

I'm in school right now, sometime next year I will finally start working and have a career. I'm sure this will seem extremely dorky even for a comic board but at least a few nights every week I've been researching, looking at, and trying to narrow down THE 10 comics I would like to own. (Also doing the same for sports cards for sure, and have also been looking at other collectibles.)

Anyways, I'm pretty sure on the ten comics I really want to own. 7 are GA, so my questions are mainly about them. Anyways, here's the list alphabetical:

Albedo #2

Amazing Fantasy #15

Detective Comics # 13, 18, 31

Great Comics #3

Punch Comics #12

Shock Suspenstories #6

Suspense Comics #3, 11

I'm going to be able to save between $100-$300 a week towards comics starting in the next 1-2 years. My goal is to own these books within a decade at the longest. I'm not worried about the obvious ones, but I am very curious about the Tecs, great 3, and suspense 3.

The Detectives I want seem very desirable now, I've never seen the Great #3 for sale, and the Suspense #3 seems like it may go out of my price range ($5,000 or less at the absolute most) by the time I have the money for it.

What is your advice to me? I can compromise on the Detectives #18, and 31, can't compromise on Detective #13, Great Comics #3 and Suspense Comics #3. (Course I had to compromise on getting Action Comics #1, hope I won't have to do the same with Suspense #3.)

Also, I'm really hesitant about restored books, is that the only way I may own some of these, or should I hold out for unrestored?

Would love to hear from anyone on this! smile.gif

(Also, wish me luck on adding a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle to my card list, I really want one but I'm afraid it might be just out of my range even in 1.0-2.0) Oh well.

Personally, I really like your list, and agree with the Albedo #2. I really enjoy Usagi Yojimbo, and have several sketches by Stan Sakai and the wraparound original art to the Usagi Summer Special cover. But, even I thought that prices are out of hand, so I sold my CGC 9.0 at the top of the market for four figures. (I have another copy that's not as nice, but that Stan signed).

I agree with everyone's comments...stay disciplined and focused, and you should be able to save up for these books. The problem is that it's so hard to stay focused on only these books. As for restoration, I don't mind restoration on GA books, especially if professionally done and not extensive.

By the way, here's my Tec 18; moderate restoration.

Tec18.jpg

5 years

Great Comics #3 5,000

Anybody got 2 NM copies of Great Comics 3 they're willing to trade me for my NM SS 6?

Anybody....?

Anybody....?

(insert sound of crickets here)

27_laughing.gif

Option 1: don't get married, don't have kids, buy what you want

Option 2: get married, have 3 kids, buy restored

I look for restored books that are in the 4.0 to 6.0 range. I find that the resto is usually minor, they present well, and, they are much cheaper than unrestored. Not to say I don't spring for unrestored, but I get more this way.

I've also bought unrestored low grade and restored to a presentable beauty. You can see my restored Buck Rogers #1 as a case study on the Classics Inc site.

as for restoration, buy encapsulated copies (graded by CGC) , from reputable dealers, and you can't go wrong.

I would recommend you forget the other books and line up an Amazing Fantasy 15 as soon as possible. This is the book to get for the silver age and cross culture popularity. Once you cycle through a couple AF 15's then you'll be able to afford a few more of the books you want. Get yourself on Heritage Comics' Auctions want list service and you will see books coming up and you can build a record of sales, like shadowing the stock market.

Then as you manage not to have too much personal overhead, condo,chrysler 300, wife, ex wife(ves) girlfriend, mistress, kids, natural disater, etc you should be ok.

27_laughing.gifconfused.gif27_laughing.gif

Hi everybody,

I'm in school right now, sometime next year I will finally start working and have a career. trying to narrow down THE 10 comics I would like to own. My goal is to own these books within a decade at the longest.

...what would be interesting to see is your list of top 10 even 5 years from now....I would bet it looks completely different aside from 1 or 2 books at the most.

As your career and life develops, so will your collecting tastes and desires. I know for myself I want books right now that I would have had no interest in just a few years ago. I have also bought some books in the past that I still own, and can't figure out why I liked them at all ....ever. foreheadslap.gif You may take some pressure off of yourself if you stick to your budget and savings plans to buy comics, which is a great idea, but stay open minded as to what you can and will buy with that saved money when you're ready to pull the trigger.

There is a great chance that by the time you have $5,000 in hand to buy your 1st great book, it will be something you haven't even thought of or seen yet.....there are over 600,000 different comic issues out there......that's one large field to pick a single daisy from!

Steve

I have also bought some books in the past that I still own, and can't figure out why I liked them at all ....ever.

I know you said ciorac has first crack at Detective Dan, but I'm telling you, I can totally help you out here....

I have also bought some books in the past that I still own, and can't figure out why I liked them at all ....ever.

I know you said ciorac has first crack at Detective Dan, but I'm telling you, I can totally help you out here....

This wasn't quite the book I was thinking of, when referencing past mistakes.....nice try CentaurMan !

1638560-humor-set001%282%29.jpg

1638560-dan-rear.jpg

1638560-dan-rear.jpg.ead9ae66d24bacb06ebeab8833a9c523.jpg

I look for restored books that are in the 4.0 to 6.0 range. I find that the resto is usually minor, they present well, and, they are much cheaper than unrestored. Not to say I don't spring for unrestored, but I get more this way.

I've also bought unrestored low grade and restored to a presentable beauty. You can see my restored Buck Rogers #1 as a case study on the Classics Inc site.

Married with kids.... cloud9.gif

Comics as a way to escape 27_laughing.gif

Unrestored High Grade GA insane.gif

Restored GA angel.gif

Low grade reader GA hail.gif

It's all about perspective and priorities......

I'd rather clean up kid puke and get a big hug from my child with a fever than have a huge collection and no family....but that's just me. insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

Having it all hail.gifhail.gifhail.gifyay.gifheadbang.gifyay.gif Is even better hail.gifhail.gifcloud9.gif

problem is every week someone on the boards posts do many wonderful books that you really have to exercise discipline to maintain your focus... Christo_pull_hair.gifgrin.gif

I have a catch all though, saying that i collect HG, MG, LG comics from all publishers, mostly from GA/SA/BA. that way every book i buy falls within my scope insane.gif

Restored GA angel.gif

I'd rather clean up kid puke and get a big hug from my child with a fever than have a huge collection and no family....but that's just me. insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

Having it all hail.gifhail.gifhail.gifyay.gifheadbang.gifyay.gif Is even better hail.gifhail.gifcloud9.gif

Seems like you have the best from both worlds grin.gif893applaud-thumb.gif gotta have your priorities in order sumo.gif

Restored GA angel.gif

Seems like you have the best from both worlds grin.gif893applaud-thumb.gif gotta have your priorities in order sumo.gif

gossip.gif ask him about the GA green lanterns he recently purchased ...