• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I love the 80s.....

20 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Got a couple new pieces in recently and thought I would share them.

First is a killer page from Arkham Asylum by Dave McKean. These pages are exremely tough to find, due to their popularity and sheer brilliance artistically. They are HUGE, larger than twice-up Silver Age art. This scene is one of the few pages with Two-Face, Batman and the Joker in it, and actually is the final scene of the story where Batman is set free. Enjoy!

arkham.jpg

Next up is the infamous childbirth sequence from Miracleman #9. This two-pager by Rick Veitch with story by Alan Moore caused a commotion in 1986 when they graphically depicted childbirth. Leave it to Alan Moore to impart just a little too much realism into comics. Spoke to Rick Veitch at the NY Comic Con and he was very excited to hear about the pages, and wondered what will happen if they ever reprint the series, as he thinks America has gotten even more prudish over the years.

I'll supply the link, but be warned that this is a VERY GRAPHIC SEQUENCE, not for the virgin eyes out there!

http://www.nighthawkcomics.com/art/mm9_1314.jpg

Finally, I have the two pages sequence from Miracleman #14 by John Totleben that ended recently on eBAY. Saying these pages are tough to find is an undersatement! These two pages also are oversized, and feature the story arc where Jonny Bates is tormented (sexually) in the orphanage into saying "Miracleman", and once more becomes Kid Miracleman, setting into motion the events in issue #15. A VERY cool page that I'm glad I won for really a very cheap price (I've been offered double already!).

mm14.12.jpg

mm14.13.jpg

That's it for now! Now back to work so I can continue to afford all this *spoon*! wink.gif

great Arkham Aslyum page!

Thanks! When I opened up the package, I was immediately floored by the size and beauty of this piece. I was not expecting it to be this awesome. Definitely this is something that I'll be framing professionally and putting on the wall.

Wow, I was going to comment on "the L" but I might as well do it here.

Great pages!

I too love the 80's, good thing I never "got" Arkham Asylum, or else I would be craving for an unaffordable page! Regardless of the confusing story (IMHO) but artwork sure is spectacular.

And of course we all remember those Veitch pages. In fact, when I first tried to get into original art pages, those were gone but good thing there was still some other page for me to buy.

Congrats again and thanks for sharing.

Malvin

Nice scan of the Arkham page, Hari. I wonder whether Arkham would have benefitted from being printed in a larger format so that the McKean's detail would be more apparent.

Arkham's never been on my list, despite being an 80's kid, but that's a standout page.

Definitely rather have the Totlebens than the Veitch's on my wall blush.gif)

Later

Joseph

Awesome additions! Arkham is such a classic. It was one of my first hardcovers when I was a kid. So creepy...especially when your'e ten or so heh. Love that Two Face panel. Congrats!

The Two-Face panel is very impressive in person, even moreso than the Joker panel. Thanks for your comments.

Nice scan of the Arkham page, Hari. I wonder whether Arkham would have benefitted from being printed in a larger format so that the McKean's detail would be more apparent.

Arkham's never been on my list, despite being an 80's kid, but that's a standout page.

Definitely rather have the Totlebens than the Veitch's on my wall blush.gif)

Later

Joseph

Hi Joseph,

I think you're right that they should definitely consider doing an oversized example of Arkham Asylum. I, for one, would definitely buy it!

As for the Veitch pages, you'll appreciate them more once you understand what's going on. I know it can be confusing to virgin eyes such as yours! poke2.gif

Another great example of Hari buying excellent examples over time, being truly selective, quite a haul, it's great such noteworthy pieces ended up in such a good home.

The MM JT pages, where he is dancing has wonderful text, truly great OA, while I remember the birth sequence was such a noteworthy, and newsworthy, event.

Out of curiosity what are the dimensions on the Arkham piece? I think the art is superb, but I'll have to reread it, as I was also one of those who didn't get the story when it first came out.

Congratulations!

I love the 1980s, also.

Worked in a brewery and drank lots of free beer in company time . . . grin.gif

343qa69.jpg

"It's a tough job, but someone's gotta do it."

Russ Cochran's Complete EC Library project was being publshed a title at a time . . . cloud9.gif

2e4epm9.jpg

The EC Art Auctions released all the prime New Trend art at affordable prices . . . cloud9.gif

49if11f.jpg

Excellent decade! thumbsup2.gif

Are you going after Doug Edelman's throne? poke2.gif

Stellar pieces, Hari, congrats!

Oh, I'm a very long way from taking the throne from him! As long as he's got that MM #15 cover, he's the Miracleman King!

Another great example of Hari buying excellent examples over time, being truly selective, quite a haul, it's great such noteworthy pieces ended up in such a good home.

The MM JT pages, where he is dancing has wonderful text, truly great OA, while I remember the birth sequence was such a noteworthy, and newsworthy, event.

Out of curiosity what are the dimensions on the Arkham piece? I think the art is superb, but I'll have to reread it, as I was also one of those who didn't get the story when it first came out.

Congratulations!

I'll check the dimensions and get back to you.