• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave and the Bold Collecting Thread
1 1

759 posts in this topic

bnb24_zps708ed71c.jpg

...I never get tired of seeing more of these tough issues.

Oh fabulous copy!

(thumbs u

[/quote

...a backstory on it's acquisition would be nice.......

Hiya Jimbo,

The #24, #23 and #21 came along with the #14 and #16-19 in a group of Cal Slobodian books that made it's way through Dwight Furough about 20 years ago. There were other issues like #20 and maybe a couple other early ones, but Adam Strange snatched them up. I paid high prices for them back then based on the premise that you never see them this nice. Over the past 20 years, it's played out that way more than I could have predicted. The #22 was from A-1 Comics in Sacramento, and the #20 came from Heritage [as I recall] more recently. I have put the earlier ones together more by piecemeal. One at a time every few years. Love them like the war books because they just have wonderful art inside. In this era defined by CGC, it's easy to lose track of actually reading the comics and these were just outstanding stories every step of the way.

....I first became aware of Viking Prince by way of a DC Special in the early 70's and was blown away. I had no idea that the awesome War artist had done other type of material.....and then I saw a reprint of B&B 35 :cloud9: If your copies came from Slobodian maybe they were part of his OO run....that would explain a lot.....that 24 looks 9.0 or so. Thanks for the reply....GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

As I understand it, they were Cal's original owner copies. They're all really pretty and considering how tough they are in grade, I feel incredibly fortunate to have jumped on them when I did. My copy of B&B 44 is also from Cal's collection. Slobodian had other runs including TOU, MIS, and SA. Adam Strange might be able to post a couple as I recall a few Slobodian copies eventually making their way to his collection. DC Special Series also had some nice reprints of Robin Hood, Shining Knight, and Viking Prince. VP is Kubert's answer to Prince Valient with the dynamic action of Hogarth's Tarzan.

.....the Princess in the series is patterned after his wife. I went to the Kubert School and they're the greatest people you could ever meet. You were fortunate indeed to get those Slobodians......I bet you could get a couple grand for that 24......but I don't think I could let it go......comics don't get much better than that. GOD BLESS...

bnb24_zps708ed71c.jpg

...I never get tired of seeing more of these tough issues.

Oh fabulous copy!

(thumbs u

[/quote

...a backstory on it's acquisition would be nice.......

Hiya Jimbo,

The #24, #23 and #21 came along with the #14 and #16-19 in a group of Cal Slobodian books that made it's way through Dwight Furough about 20 years ago. There were other issues like #20 and maybe a couple other early ones, but Adam Strange snatched them up. I paid high prices for them back then based on the premise that you never see them this nice. Over the past 20 years, it's played out that way more than I could have predicted. The #22 was from A-1 Comics in Sacramento, and the #20 came from Heritage [as I recall] more recently. I have put the earlier ones together more by piecemeal. One at a time every few years. Love them like the war books because they just have wonderful art inside. In this era defined by CGC, it's easy to lose track of actually reading the comics and these were just outstanding stories every step of the way.

....I first became aware of Viking Prince by way of a DC Special in the early 70's and was blown away. I had no idea that the awesome War artist had done other type of material.....and then I saw a reprint of B&B 35 :cloud9: If your copies came from Slobodian maybe they were part of his OO run....that would explain a lot.....that 24 looks 9.0 or so. Thanks for the reply....GOD BLESS...

As I understand it, they were Cal's original owner copies. They're all really pretty and considering how tough they are in grade, I feel incredibly fortunate to have jumped on them when I did. My copy of B&B 44 is also from Cal's collection. Slobodian had other runs including TOU, MIS, and SA. Adam Strange might be able to post a couple as I recall a few Slobodian copies eventually making their way to his collection. DC Special Series also had some nice reprints of Robin Hood, Shining Knight, and Viking Prince. VP is Kubert's answer to Prince Valient with the dynamic action of Hogarth's Tarzan.

.....the Princess in the series is patterned after his wife. I went to the Kubert School and they're the greatest people you could ever meet. You were fortunate indeed to get those Slobodians......I bet you could get a couple grand for that 24......but I don't think I could let it go......comics don't get much better than that. GOD BLESS...

I don't think I can get rid of it because then it'd leave this art without the accompanying comic to be its buddy. :headbang:

kubert_vp.jpg

I don't think I can get rid of it because then it'd leave this art without the accompanying comic to be its buddy. :headbang:

kubert_vp.jpg

That's alright. I'm willing to take them both off your hands, cheap!

;)