• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave and the Bold Collecting Thread
1 1

759 posts in this topic

Beautiful girl! Who's the artist who did that cover?

Irv Novick

BraveBold13.jpg

While it's true that they're less popular than the superheroes, it's more the case that the pre-hero Brave & the Bolds are so brutally tough to find. Up until now we've been looking at comics published before the fall of 1957.

:preach:

Edited by Hepcat

Speaking for myself, it ain't for lack of the hunt. Spent the past 20 years trying to piece 'em together. They're really a no-brainer for the war comics collectors among us. . .same stable of artists & writers, just with a sword and arrow adventure with the likes of Golden Gladiator (Heath), Robin Hood (Heath, Kubert, A&E), Silent Knight (Novick and Heath), and Viking Prince (Kubert). The only guy missing from the line-up is Grandenetti.

Hey, nice stuff there. The Brave and the Bold was always one of my favorite series. I looked forward to and relished the anticipation of who was going to be featured in the next issue and what artist and writer would be producing the book. A unique book and concept along with Showcase that kept me coming back for more each issue.

My older brother had a few Brave and the Bolds (issues #57, #59, #60 and #66) when I was about 5 or 6 years old. That's when I first began noticing comic books. He gave me those and I then proceeded to get issues #67, #68, and #69. I started up again with issue #73 and pretty much bought every issue from then on until I stopped at #103. Almost all of my original books are long gone, but I have mangaged to aquire a few of them in high grade over the last few years. As I said in my post, I always looked forward to what was going to be next and they were easy reads for a kid with stand alone, one issue stories. My favorites were the Batman/Deadman issues by Neil Adams. His artwork was so impressive and powerful for the time.

I hate to do it, but we needed a 15 posted to move forward. Some please get up to 18 at least :foryou:

I didn't want to post this copy, I have had it close to 40 years and it is big time on my replacement list. but here it is in all of it's well loved glory. One of my favorite issues:

bb15.jpg