• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,411 posts in this topic

On 9/7/2023 at 12:09 PM, Earthshaker01 said:

Two of the toughest 4 issues series to put together in higher grades. Always seems Ajax-Farrel comics in general always have bad covers. I'm not sure if the paper quality was lower or the edges were a little bigger than inner comics. Just seem edges are often tattered more than other books. Luckily these are in nice shape. 

20181230_131113-1.jpg

Madhouse is tough in ANY grade. I consider the 4 volume 2's part of the run. There are actually 4 of them. I am missing the last one (V2#4) which along with V2#3 have been reported not to exist. About a year ago I finally ran into V2#3 but have never seen V2#4 which very well might not exist. 

commadhouserun.jpeg

On 9/7/2023 at 6:36 PM, Robot Man said:

Madhouse is tough in ANY grade. I consider the 4 volume 2's part of the run. There are actually 4 of them. I am missing the last one (V2#4) which along with V2#3 have been reported not to exist. About a year ago I finally ran into V2#3 but have never seen V2#4 which very well might not exist. 

commadhouserun.jpeg

Nice! Yes, I never went after volume 2 or anything that came out after a first volume, normally. However, this volume 2 is very cool. Your Madhouse #1 looks a little rough. I think I have another copy in fine or better. Some of these I grabbed more than one copy if they were in nice shape due to their rarity in any grade. 

Nice to see another collector with similar intrest in obscure esoteric rare books, instead of mainstream popular common books. I'll see if I can fine the extras I have if Madhouse. 

Do you have Bughouse set? Those are tough as well. 

On 9/7/2023 at 8:36 PM, Robot Man said:

commadhouserun.jpeg

There's a Madhouse 2.3 in the weekly Heritage auction right now (I consigned it). Indeed a very tough issue to find.

On 9/8/2023 at 8:15 AM, october said:

There's a Madhouse 2.3 in the weekly Heritage auction right now (I consigned it). Indeed a very tough issue to find.

Generally, a rather limited collector base for these MAD immatator books. But if the right people see it, it could indeed do quite well. Good luck! 

On 9/8/2023 at 8:23 AM, Robot Man said:

Generally, a rather limited collector base for these MAD immatator books. But if the right people see it, it could indeed do quite well. Good luck! 

agree

Cracked was #2 and even their slogan was "we are #2 so we try harder"

but nobody even wants to buy any old issues of Cracked .. they hardly ever sell on eBay..

On 9/11/2023 at 6:27 PM, 1950's war comics said:

agree

Cracked was #2 and even their slogan was "we are #2 so we try harder"

but nobody even wants to buy any old issues of Cracked .. they hardly ever sell on eBay..

I wouldn't say "nobody" by a long shot. I often sell early Cracked and other more obscure MAD imitators. True they don't bring "big money" but there are people smart enough to realize a lot of great art and features by Severin ,Everett, Davis and others in the early ones. A lot of the other more obscure imitators are REAL tough to find and are not bad either. I have about the first 25 Crackeds and selected issues there after. I am fairly complete on most of the other weirder mostly short run ones. Has taken me 50 years to do so. Fun part, was they were usually pretty cheap when I did. 

And, if you like that issue of Cracked, buy it! Who care's "was it is worth" or if anybody else likes it other than you. 

comcracked1.jpg

comcracked3.jpg

comcracked7.jpg

comsick33.jpg

comthimk4.jpg

comfrenzy2.jpg

comsick5.jpg

comthimk6.jpg

comzanymag.jpg

comtrump1a.jpg

comtrump1c.jpg

On 9/12/2023 at 11:53 AM, october said:

I sold some early Cracked issues and a Thimk in last night's Heritage auction and they did great. Still a lot of interest in these mags, at least in high grade. These were the three best, but another five or six brought $600-1000 each. 

image.thumb.png.83c13f6e07af32c8c43f4a8141430f8c.png

image.thumb.png.fa647495980865d34ef750fca14dfe58.png

image.thumb.png.c9f99e95a81d43a14d11ecc0e6483497.png

Wow! Congrats! Real hard to find at all. Forget about high grade…