• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,416 posts in this topic

On 9/27/2023 at 4:25 PM, Marty Mann said:

So much for a dime...

IMG  BIG SHOT (200 dpi).jpg

Marty Mann how popular was Joe Palooka back then? What's a modern comparison? I watched a television show about the greatest Joe Palooka collection the other day. Lots of memorabilia from the 40's

On 9/28/2023 at 10:18 AM, Marty Mann said:

This comic strip character was very popular for many years appearing in daily and Sunday newspapers, in the movies and even

on the radio. The daily strips were reprinted in a few different comic books including a long run in HARVEY COMICS,

My first copy was #9 which boosted "Over 1,000,000 copies.".

JOE PALOOKA #30 also featured what might be one of the first nudes in comic books.

IMG  JOE PALOOKA #9  (200 dpi).jpg

IMG  JOE PALOOKA #30 (NUDE)  (200 dpi).jpg

He was so popular even his friends had comics. lol

20230928_204216.jpg

On 9/24/2023 at 9:10 AM, Bandelier said:

Check that out. 38 issues of Superman-Tim (starting with #3 Oct 1942- #41 Dec 1945). The original owner had bound them into three volumes with two pipe cleaners holding them together along the spine. The first 10 or so have 2 pages of Action Comics stories (Action Comics #55 - #64); including the first appearance of Toyman; published in the July '43 issue of Superman-Tim - two months before the first appearance in Action #64... How cool. Apologies to the underbidder!

IMG_6907.jpg

IMG_6919.jpg

IMG_6915.jpg

I just sent you a PM on these - I have full scans of 92 of the 94 issues, something I've been working on for decades, and it looks like you scored the 2 I'm missing.  I'd be interested in buying them or trading for them, or just sending you $ to do scans/flat high-res photos for me.  Please let me know.  Thanks!

On 10/10/2023 at 11:36 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

It’s been a bit since I’ve added any significant golden age to the collection. One of the first great raw books I loved was Airboy v4 #8 and it graded out 8.5. I sold it several years ago and recently picked up this 9.0, tied for highest. :x

IMG_4964.jpeg

My old copy. Congrats Rick. It's a beaut.