• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,422 posts in this topic

Brought this Detective off of ebay about a month ago, and way below guide. :grin:

det1.jpg

How'd you get a book from The Spirit's personal collection!?!? :insane:

hmlol

It actually says "Denny Cobb". Denny brought Batman 1-50 and about 50 assorted Detectives and Star Spangleds into a shop owned by Glen Kessler here in Houston in 1991. Glen called me and together we worked out a price and we split the collection. While we were figuring out a price I mentioned to Mr. Cobb that the books would be worth a lot more if he hadn't written his name on the cover of all of them. His response, "well, if I hadn't they wouldn't be here. My friends would have stolen them!" hm Made sense to me.

BTW, the Bat #1 was coverless.

How is it that Larson pedigree's don't seem to be downgraded for having the name written on the covers? Or are they downgraded?

The buyers adjust the price for the writing on the Larson books. Without the name higher prices probably would be paid. :baiting:

How is it that Larson pedigree's don't seem to be downgraded for having the name written on the covers? Or are they downgraded?

For those folks that like Larsons, part of the reason is the name on the cover. It adds a personal connection to the original purchaser -- whom some have actually met. With GA books the distributor markings add charm in the eyes of many collectors rather than being viewed as a distraction. I'm in that camp, though I will admit to having converted from a less favorable, though never hostile, point of view.

Edited by adamstrange

I should also mention that that Detective was certainly one of the best condition books in the collection. There was never a risk that the "Denny Cobb" collection would become a fabled pedigree collection.

With that in mind, it doesn't appear that CGC knocked a significant amount off for the name written on the cover.

lol I don't have any Larson's to sell jkrk, so what is your real answer?

Real answer- Not downgraded at all. Probably upgraded a bit (not kidding) (did he say that?).

I really disliked writing until I experienced an ephiphany. I believe it was this copy that did it for me ( thanks Redhook). YOu really should see the back cover. Writing galore.

phantomlady16cgc5.5.jpg

I felt I was touching history. Now I'm hooked and I'm wlling to overpay for the writing (did he say that?).

Edited by jkrk

I have seen the back cover remember? I was looking to purchase it until I saw the extent of Recil's handiwork on the back cover. I remember calling CGC and their notes doesn't even discuss the litany of nothingness written on the back.

It is almost like child gibberish, with indications of specific titles he was after on the very bottom. I questioned how CGC could award a 5.5 grade with that much writing.

phantomlady16cgc515b.jpg

Edited by pennynike1

For those folks that like Larsons, part of the reason is the name on the cover. It adds a personal connection to the original purchaser -- whom some have actually met. With GA books the distributor markings add charm in the eyes of many collectors rather than being viewed as a distraction. I'm in that camp, though I will admit to having converted from a less favorable, though never hostile, point of view.

:applause:

It is almost like child gibberish, with indications of specific titles he was after on the very bottom. I questioned how CGC could award a 5.5 grade with that much writing.

phantomlady16cgc515b.jpg

Darn. That list at the bottom looks like my want list!

The book looks very pretty otherwise - I'd take that at a 5.5 any time :banana: