• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,411 posts in this topic

Just for fun, let's have some guesses of what I paid for this low-grade but complete copy of Long Bow 9, 1952/53, final issue of the series from Fiction House.

The answer is not zero.

Jack

59550-longbow9.jpg

A couple more "low-grade but I like 'em anyway" from the same lot.

Black Magic 18, 1952, Simon and Kirby, complete reader copy.

59553-blackmagic18.jpg

Captain Midnight 61, 1947/48, Gerber 6.

59554-captmidnight61.jpg

Jack

(shameless)

Just for fun, let's have some guesses of what I paid for this low-grade but complete copy of Long Bow 9, 1952/53, final issue of the series from Fiction House.

The answer is not zero.

Jack

59550-longbow9.jpg

$4.99 plus $6.00 shipping.

Bonus points: It was advertised on eBay as a Fine minus, in great shape except for some minor spine wear and a small chip from the ULC.

The answer is not zero.

Jack

59550-longbow9.jpg

$4.99 plus $6.00 shipping.

Bonus points: It was advertised on eBay as a Fine minus, in great shape except for some minor spine wear and a small chip from the ULC.

Wow, what a great guess!

But wrong.

This is from a great seller that graded it a FR 1.0. In the simple-minded way that I spread shipping cost over a box, I figured that I paid about a penny shipping for this book.

Jack

I was going to say you paid a dime a book (thumbs u

Hey there, mister -- are you saying my funnybook looks like it's only worth a dime? Huh?

I'll have you know that it cost me a whole 17¢!!!!

:kidaround: just in case

I don't really want to prolong the guessing game. I just thought it was a funny amount for a "scarce" Fiction House book over 55 years old.

Jack

(good guess)

Hey there, mister -- are you saying my funnybook looks like it's only worth a dime? Huh?

I don't really want to prolong the guessing game. I just thought it was a funny amount for a "scarce" Fiction House book over 55 years old.

Jack

(good guess)

ah ha!... what you pay and what it is worth, are 2 entirely different thnigs :)

Jack

(good guess)

Now you're telling me that my funnybook isn't worth what I paid for it?

Jack

waaaaahhhhh

Jack

(good guess)

Jack

waaaaahhhhh

(thumbs u

I'll give you a wooden nickel....deal?

Posted in my trooper thread, but been looking for this one for a long time. Only one on the census btw:

AdventuresofRexTheWonderDog8CGC6.jpg

Tough series, as far as I can tell. 6.0 probably counts as high grade.

I love the little rifle (whatever it's called -- I don't know guns) around Rex's neck!

Jack

Yup. That book has interior art by Schomburg, Wood and Murphy Anderson. Very cool! Glad I could help, V!!

Two new additions to my collection this week:

Whiz Comics 154 CGC 7.5 Off-White Pages

Captain Marvel Adventures 50 CGC 8.5 Off-White Pages

TIMMY!!!

Where you been? Can't say hi anymore?

I'm collecting Whiz now.

:shy:

What aren't you collecting now? You're going to have to change your name to r1970add.

Man, more competition for Whiz!!! But I am not surprised to me, it is one of the most undervalued series out there. Glad to see others appreciate it more. As a note, I picked up that Whiz #154 for a really decent price and since there are no CGC 8.0's or 8.5's(I do believe) it seems to me that I made out. Also, the CMA #50 was listed as a williamsport collection books but I didn't get any certificate and it is not notated on the holder. Anyone have any info on Williamport Collection Books?

Two new additions to my collection this week:

Whiz Comics 154 CGC 7.5 Off-White Pages

Captain Marvel Adventures 50 CGC 8.5 Off-White Pages

TIMMY!!!

Where you been? Can't say hi anymore?

I'm collecting Whiz now.

:shy:

What aren't you collecting now? You're going to have to change your name to r1970add.

Man, more competition for Whiz!!! But I am not surprised to me, it is one of the most undervalued series out there. Glad to see others appreciate it more. As a note, I picked up that Whiz #154 for a really decent price and since there are no CGC 8.0's or 8.5's(I do believe) it seems to me that I made out. Also, the CMA #50 was listed as a williamsport collection books but I didn't get any certificate and it is not notated on the holder. Anyone have any info on Williamport Collection Books?

pretty sure the guy that bought the williamsport is a board member, though, I can't recall his user name... I met him in NY this past april, nice guy

Jack

(good guess)

Jack

waaaaahhhhh

(thumbs u

I'll give you a wooden nickel....deal?

I don't take any wooden nickels!

Jack

not born yesterday